New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

Not being a 4-Star (or any Star for that matter), and sailing in a Lanai cabin, that I understand will not have a mini-bar/frig, for me it would be cheaper to use my reusable water bottle. Where is the best place to fill it with water and ice?

You can still get ice from your room steward, water in bathroom is the same they use for making ice - or in the Lido - just don't fill it directly from the machines, use a glass conveniently racked there.

That's interesting. "A 15% service charge will automatically be applied" for self service.

I was thinking the same thing!

dh

The 15% service fee is automatically added for most drinks - whether it's the honor bar in the Neptune Lounge, the bottled water in your room, the mini bar, etc. If it's a "bar" item, the charge is added whether you serve yourself or it is served to you.

Hi Lizzie,

If people have a drinks package no wonder they don't use the honor bar!!

Did you see many people use the Neptune Lounge?

I just wonder if it is a lot smaller that the Haven Club on the Epic.

Thanks for all earlier replies too.

Deeko

Seems to me it would be cheaper to buy a bottle and keep it in your room.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

HAL's bottles are reasonable IMO for a cruise ship and yes, from a $ point of view, it is cheaper to buy a bottle and have a drink in your room.

Hi Lizzie,

Deeko

Not Lizzie, but people do use the Neptune Lounge. It's a matter of whether they stay in it or not.

Some come in to just get a snack, coffee, water, and take it back to their room or to check on something with the concierge, etc. So, there may not be many in the Neptune Lounge when you come in.

Others stay in the Neptune Lounge to eat, drink or socialize or get a drink.

So, it may be quite empty if people just nip in and nip out.

If people choose to stay in to eat, drink, etc. It is busier, but not crowded usually.

It depends on the demographics of the passengers on the cruise and the type of cruise IMO.

On our Westerdam cruise it didn't seem that many people stayed in the lounge.

On our Rotterdam cruise, which was a TA, people were often in there and did make use of the honor bar.

Hi Lizzie,

Deeko

Hi. People come and go through the NL, I don't think anyone stays long. Personally, I don't find it that inviting, but the coffee machine is great, and there are little appies and snacks at all times. The main purpose of the visit is usually to talk to the concierges. I usually am there when it opens in the mornings after using the gym or doing my laps to grab a drink and yogurt, and sit and watch the TV for a short time, and people come in, get coffee and danish and head back to their cabin with it.

I have no idea what the Haven Club is like, so I can't compare. Oh, and I have never had a drinks package either, LOL.

Hi friends... just got an offer to upgrade to a Neptune Suite. It was a good offer so we chose to accept it. This will be our first Neptune... we really love the SS cabins. Just curious to know if they still offer breakfasts in the Pinnacle Grill? How does that work?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They might ask for your cabin number the first time you have breakfast in the Pinnacle, but should remember you after that. Our last cruise was in a Neptune, and the next (Oosterdam Feb 2018) is again. It is easy to get spoiled. Breakfast in the Pinnacle was just about our favorite perk of being in a Neptune suite.

One more question... does anyone know what the small fee is to have access to WiFi in the Neptune Lounge?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've never heard of that.:confused: Yes, there is wifi in the lounge, and there is even a computer you can use at the back table. But you log on with your own account and use your own minutes..... I had no idea there was a reduced fee in the NL. I last cruise in a Neptune in April, so maybe there has been a change since then that someone else can enlighten us on.

Hello to all.

I was reading a post on a different thread. The point was made that HAL always had a Roman Catholic Priest on board and that daily Mass was celebrated.

I am interested to know if there is an equivalent service available for members of other Christian denominations. Perhaps an ecumenical act of worship daily??

I have not seen any other references to this subject.

Thank you for your replies as always.

Deeko

I've never heard of that.:confused: Yes, there is wifi in the lounge, and there is even a computer you can use at the back table. But you log on with your own account and use your own minutes..... I had no idea there was a reduced fee in the NL. I last cruise in a Neptune in April, so maybe there has been a change since then that someone else can enlighten us on.

Absoutely correct LIzzie.

The "small fee" is a bit of a joke to me.

There is no discount and no reduced fee for NL, sadly.

There has been no change since your cruise.

Hello to all.

I was reading a post on a different thread. The point was made that HAL always had a Roman Catholic Priest on board and that daily Mass was celebrated.

I am interested to know if there is an equivalent service available for members of other Christian denominations. Perhaps an ecumenical act of worship daily??

Deeko

It depends on the cruise.

If it is a short one, the odds are no that someone will direct it if that is what you were asking. Will the priest do the interdenominatinal ceremony? Some do and some don't.

I know "Himself" does.

Otherwise it is a diy with someone stepping up.

there are services for sure on board. That is a non issue ;)

It is usually listed in the daily program.

Hello to all.

Deeko

Do you have a particular denomination in mind, or are you shopping? I was raised Lutheran and married a Baptist. I would have no hesitation attending a Catholic worship. If you are looking for a particular liturgy, your local parish might be able to direct you to a particular cruise line

Do you have a particular denomination in mind, or are you shopping? I was raised Lutheran and married a Baptist. I would have no hesitation attending a Catholic worship. If you are looking for a particular liturgy, your local parish might be able to direct you to a particular cruise line

Not to go off topic, but I LOVE your attitude. My DH is also Catholic and I am not. Over the years, I have realized that what counts for Christians are the 3 key things - so, like you I too have attended Catholic worship.

It's all good :)

Does the Neptune Lounge, have a complementary cocktail hour?

Just the first night reception which is usually about 1/2 - 3/4 of an hour long.

Now, there is the possibliity of an additional reception or 2 but they won't necessarily be in the Neptune Lounge.

Otherwise, the bar in the Neptune Lounge is there, but you pay for it.

Free are the munchies, coffees, teas, waters, fresh squeezed oj in the AM, cranberry juice, etc.

none of the alcoholic drinks are free on a regular, nightly basis. sorry

Booking with a travel agent question:

I am currently booked with HAL directly, no final payment yet just deposit but have heard that some travel agents get added perks for you and you can add an agent as long as final payment isn't made. Does anyone know if this is true? Also, does anyone have a recommendation on a travel agent to contact? I am a former travel agent (long time ago) and know it would be very easy commission for the travel agent to get as I have already done all the work and I have no issue with adding an agent but want to see what you all would recommend. I am in Canada but the agent could be from anywhere. Total cost for the cruise (2 rooms) is $9200 cdn or $7100 usd, which I think the travel agent would see 10% minus the taxes and port fees.

I've booked with HAL directly before and then later transferred the booking to another travel agent. I kept all the benefits of the original booking plus the benefits that the travel agent provided. The transfer process was easy: I just called HAL, gave them the telephone number and name of the travel agent. 15 minutes later I contacted the travel agent and they confirmed that they had the booking and we went from there.

I've booked with HAL directly before and then later transferred the booking to another travel agent. I kept all the benefits of the original booking plus the benefits that the travel agent provided. The transfer process was easy: I just called HAL, gave them the telephone number and name of the travel agent. 15 minutes later I contacted the travel agent and they confirmed that they had the booking and we went from there.

Thank you Tim! I now I hope I can get a recommend for an agent to contact 😊 So if anyone knows a good one, let me know please!