New Unveiling Announcement Coming August 25

Latest news is that the announcement will feature David Pogue.

BvplD--IYAATVg2.jpg

This kind of makes me lower my expectations. No longer thinking we will see anything new announced but merely them making official what they've already mentioned. Similar to how the entertainment announcement turned out.

This is taken from another site I can not name.

The technology reveal for Quantum of the Seas is expected to follow the recent dining and entertainment reveal events in showcasing what's new and exciting for Quantum of the Seas. Royal Caribbean has built a reputation of pushing the envelope when it comes to technology on its cruise ships and this event should further than agenda.

One aspect of technology we know about that is coming to Quantum of the Seas is brand new high speed internet that will allow guests to stay connected at speeds never seen at sea.

Traditionally the internet on cruise ships has been slow. As in 1996 at your parent's house on a dial-up modem slow. With Quantum of the Seas, that's about to change.

Royal Caribbean has teamed up with O3b Satellite Communications to launch a new generation of medium-Earth-orbit satellites with sophisticated antenna arrays aboard the cruise ships.

The higher internet speeds will make it feasible for a guest to download streaming video or post video clips to Facebook. Royal Caribbean is developing new pricing plans for added service.

When Quantum of the Seas launches, it will have the new internet speeds ready to go, which is something Royal Caribbean COO Adam Goldstein was quoted as saying,"several new, show-stopper uses of the bandwidth."

"In the old days,” Goldstein said, “we sold escape from the outside world. But today’s younger travelers want full-time access to the Internet." Along those lines, Quantum will feature a new broadband technology for cruise ships, currently being tested aboard the line's largest ships, Oasis and Allure of the Seas.

So how fast is fast? During a test back in March, Royal Caribbean reported bandwidth speeds exceeding 500 Mbps during tests aboard Oasis of the Seas and Allure of the Seas.

It is one thing to have speed fast enough to upload and download things like Word and Excel docs (for those who can't fully cant get away from office), but the need to stream video at sea seems silly to me. Why even bother getting on the ship if all you want to do is watch netflicks on your tablet

It is one thing to have speed fast enough to upload and download things like Word and Excel docs (for those who can't fully cant get away from office), but the need to stream video at sea seems silly to me. Why even bother getting on the ship if all you want to do is watch netflicks on your tablet

It's not just about being able to watch streaming video. it's also about being able to create streaming video. Want to check-in with family or friends? Open up the IPAD, get into a facetime call and you'd be able to show them parts of the ship and share your vacation.

Took a cool video while in port and want to show it to friends/family? You'll be able to upload it to social media for people to see.

As Adam Goldstein wrote a week or so ago, Cruising is no longer an, "I want to lose all connection to my daily life" type vacation. My generation and generations to come will want to stay connected at some capacity.

I'm not considering sailing on the new ships until all these issues are resolved on Quantum. I've following the new ships and I was very excited to see and sail on them. Disappointed Quantum was hurrying off to China but .... they get to debug the ship. LOL.

I'll see you all on the Anthem!:)

Having new apps or greater internet is not enough to make me want to spend a higher price to sail on Quantum. There has to be more...much more;)!

MARAPRINCE

I hope this reveal does something to turn around the seemingly blah attitude of the public - the maiden voyage just made the Tuesday special right after final payment - a sign that sales are not anywhere near where they were expected.

This is taken from another site I can not name.

The technology reveal for Quantum of the Seas is expected to follow the recent dining and entertainment reveal events in showcasing what's new and exciting for Quantum of the Seas. Royal Caribbean has built a reputation of pushing the envelope when it comes to technology on its cruise ships and this event should further than agenda.

One aspect of technology we know about that is coming to Quantum of the Seas is brand new high speed internet that will allow guests to stay connected at speeds never seen at sea.

Traditionally the internet on cruise ships has been slow. As in 1996 at your parent's house on a dial-up modem slow. With Quantum of the Seas, that's about to change.

Royal Caribbean has teamed up with O3b Satellite Communications to launch a new generation of medium-Earth-orbit satellites with sophisticated antenna arrays aboard the cruise ships.

The higher internet speeds will make it feasible for a guest to download streaming video or post video clips to Facebook. Royal Caribbean is developing new pricing plans for added service.

When Quantum of the Seas launches, it will have the new internet speeds ready to go, which is something Royal Caribbean COO Adam Goldstein was quoted as saying,"several new, show-stopper uses of the bandwidth."

"In the old days,” Goldstein said, “we sold escape from the outside world. But today’s younger travelers want full-time access to the Internet." Along those lines, Quantum will feature a new broadband technology for cruise ships, currently being tested aboard the line's largest ships, Oasis and Allure of the Seas.

So how fast is fast? During a test back in March, Royal Caribbean reported bandwidth speeds exceeding 500 Mbps during tests aboard Oasis of the Seas and Allure of the Seas.

I'll believe it when I see/feel it. They said the same about the improved internet speeds on the Oasis and Allure. On this past Feb. Allure cruise, it was the slowest ever.

At this point, every reveal apart from the initial introduction to the ship has been terrible.

I really have zero expectations that this will show us anything other than some technology features that they could use in various ways around the ship.

I doubt that we'll see anything of the 'More to Come' spaces in this reveal.

Prepared for more bellyaching and another reset of low expectations.

:rolleyes:

I've been so disappointed by the previous reveals that I'm not going to even bother tuning in and risk another waste of my time like the entertainment "reveal." Besides, I'm sure if anything truly interesting comes up it'll be posted here on CC shortly thereafter!

Royal has totally lost my interest with this process so far, let's see if they can win it back.

I've been so disappointed by the previous reveals that I'm not going to even bother tuning in and risk another waste of my time like the entertainment "reveal." Besides, I'm sure if anything truly interesting comes up it'll be posted here on CC shortly thereafter!

Royal has totally lost my interest with this process so far, let's see if they can win it back.

I agree, I will be at work and if there is time I will tune in, but I won't have any problems walking away

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I'll believe it when I see/feel it. They said the same about the improved internet speeds on the Oasis and Allure. On this past Feb. Allure cruise, it was the slowest ever.

That certainly not a good sign. The equipment that Quantum is getting was installed on Oasis and Allure last year to prove it's capabilities. Quantum will have about 20% fewer guests but the overall Internet capabilities should be identical since it'll be identical equipment.

I'm with you. That last entertainment one was awful.

Don't know if this is related to this roll out, but the price of my Anthem cruise just dropped. Contacted my TA and got a new invoice showing the lower rate.

Summer of 2015 prices were very high and thought they may come down at some point.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Edited by kelmac

Whatever the outstanding announcement will be on the 25/08/2014 it had better be good, as so much relating to this vessel remains under wraps.

As for those who are looking for apps to enrich their day & walk around with head down taping on & staring into minute screens, surely the telephone is more than adequate for on board communication. We're adults not kids for heavens sake.

Bin your mobiles prior to embarkation & get enjoy the experience.