Gratuity Question?

First off, I wanna say that I pay all of my tips when I am supposed to. Most of the time more than the recommended amount. We do not how ever eat in the MDR and I have no reason paying for that. I know..I know its not just for that. I was just wondering how RCCL does there gratuity? Can we take some of it off and leave the rest ? Because in the I think tipping is up to the service you receive. Most of the time its great and I dont mind tipping great. Anyways can some tell me if I can take some of it off or not? Or take it all off and tip cash money? Thanks a lot CC

As I understand it if you reduce the auto tips to say 50% everyone that normally gets paid from your tips gets 50%. I don't think you can say "Tips for steward but not waiter". I may be wrong but that is what I was told on one cruise.

As I understand it if you reduce the auto tips to say 50% everyone that normally gets paid from your tips gets 50%. I don't think you can say "Tips for steward but not waiter". I may be wrong but that is what I was told on one cruise.

The OP can eliminate auto tips and tip in cash.

I see you asked about anytime dining in another post, if you signed up for this all your tips will be prepaid at final payment and cannot be removed.

Also, the waiters in the mdr work in the windjammer, so if you eat there .....

Edited by setsail

The OP can eliminate auto tips and tip in cash.

Exactly, but they asked:

Can we take some of it off and leave the rest ?

And I was pointing out that as I understand it, if they did so MDR staff would still get a part of it.

Again as I understand it they need to totally remove it and then make sure they tip everyone else.

Exactly, but they asked:

And I was pointing out that as I understand it, if they did so MDR staff would still get a part of it.

Again as I understand it they need to totally remove it and then make sure they tip everyone else.

I guess I should have used more words, but that's what I thought I said.

OP, look at it this way....if you eat anything on the ship at anytime during your cruise, then pay the waitstaff gratuities in full. The money doesn't just go to the MDR waitstaff, but gets dribbled down to all those involved in feeding us. The waitstaff in the MDR work in other areas of the ship...Windjammer, special events where food is served like the Welcome Back parties, deck parties, etc. Heck, I've even seen my cabin steward serving drinks at a Welcome Back party one time.

Make the gratuities pre-paid, then tip extra if you feel they deserve extra. In that way you don't have to go fussing around at Guest Services; you don't have to worry that you have the proper amounts for the intended recipients; don't have to go looking for envelopes....now doesn't that sound alot easier than your idea? :D

OP, look at it this way....if you eat anything on the ship at anytime during your cruise, then pay the waitstaff gratuities in full. The money doesn't just go to the MDR waitstaff, but gets dribbled down to all those involved in feeding us. The waitstaff in the MDR work in other areas of the ship...Windjammer, special events where food is served like the Welcome Back parties, deck parties, etc. Heck, I've even seen my cabin steward serving drinks at a Welcome Back party one time.

Make the gratuities pre-paid, then tip extra if you feel they deserve extra. In that way you don't have to go fussing around at Guest Services; you don't have to worry that you have the proper amounts for the intended recipients; don't have to go looking for envelopes....now doesn't that sound alot easier than your idea? :D

Some cruisers still don't understand the concept that you are describing.

Some folks think that just because you don't eat in MDR (we seldom ever go there anymore), or don't need your room cleaned for a day or two, that you should deduct from the tips from the days you told them not to do room.

Oh well. One day the tips will be compulsory so no more skimming off the top to save a few bucks toward Bingo (or whatever).

:/

we have pre paid gratuities so do we have to pay more graduities on our drinks

Depends on how you look at it.

Your prepaid gratuties only cover stateroom attendant & help and dining staff.

If you sail out of the US, drinks will have an additional 15% added to the price for gratutity.

However, if you sail out of some European countries, they change the prices of the drinks to already include the 15%.

So the answer is yes, you pay more gratuties on drinks, but in some cases it's built in to the menu price.

Edited by clarea

If you reserved a space in the dining room for early or late dinner, you should pay the tips. You took the space, it is your responsibility to pay whether you are there or not. It is certainly not the wait staffs fault you reserved their table and then chose not to use the seat(s). If you want to be cheap select My Time dining, then you are depriving many people of a little rather than a few of a larger share of their expected income. Those people shouldn't have to bear the brunt of your desire to save a few bucks.

First off, I wanna say that I pay all of my tips when I am supposed to. Most of the time more than the recommended amount. We do not how ever eat in the MDR and I have no reason paying for that. I know..I know its not just for that. I was just wondering how RCCL does there gratuity? Can we take some of it off and leave the rest ? Because in the I think tipping is up to the service you receive. Most of the time its great and I dont mind tipping great. Anyways can some tell me if I can take some of it off or not? Or take it all off and tip cash money? Thanks a lot CC
If you never eat anywhere on the ship then I guess its ok not to tip for Dining Services(notice it does not say MDR).

From RCI FAQ's http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=415&faqSubjectName=Gratuities&faqId=5523

Guest gratuities go to the following crew and staff members:

Dining Services

Stateroom Attendant

Other Housekeeping Personnel

Perfect, very well explained!

we have pre paid gratuities so do we have to pay more graduities on our drinks

depends. do you have the drink package of any sort? then gratuities are embedded in the price you paid and there is no need to add any additional unless you feel it is deserved. (EXCEPTION TO THIS: if you are drinking during cocktail hours in either DL or CL then you need to tip the server even if the drinks are free) . if you are buying your drinks individually a 15% tip is AUTOMATICALLY added on top and there is a line to add more if you want.

you would have to have a REALLY good argument( rude staff..not just the server, but the guy making the drink behind the bar, waiting an hour for your drinks, etc) to justify removing that 15%.