E-mail from HAL - passports

Krazy Kruizers

[quote name='dakrewser']Yes, the Venezualan govt (like that in Brazil) is in a snit with the US so is throwing up [url="http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/wire/sns-ap-venezuela-us-visas,1,5923991.story?coll=sns-ap-world-headlines"]roadblocks and bottlenecks [/url]for US citizens traveling there.

Note that when we docked at Isla de Margarita in fall '03 no visa was required.[/QUOTE]

[b][font=Comic Sans MS]If we require their citizens to have Visas to come here, why shouldn't they require them of us to go to their country? It's a pain/nuisance and if a stop in Venezuela is included in any of the cruises we just booked, we could well cancel and book something else but it is their right to require whatever they wish. IMO[/font][/b]

Cruiseoften, I am aware they are valid for 10 years. I was also told that they were quite a bit cheaper until recently. Makes perfect sense, mandate that everyone has to have one and raise the prices.

I take absolutely no issue with having to get one, hopefully I will use mine repeatedly over the next 10 years. I do, however, sympathize with a large family (such as mine) that has to get them for one trip and has no intentions on traveling anywhere, except for Disney, for the next 8 years. Nevertheless it is a requirement that I am happy to conform with, I was just making a simple observation.

~Kelly

[quote name='trubey']Of course I have a passport. Look where I live. I didn't get the e-mail, though. I wonder if they didn't send it to mariners who reside in foreign countries. susana.[/QUOTE]
I, too, recieved the email to Mariners. That was a responsible act on the part of HAL. Susana - As I read the message it was meant for US citizens. And is probably in response from other countries to our new policies on passports and Visas. Okay with me!!!! I don't know how this would apply to US citizens living abroad.

[quote name='JimVrhovac']

Have had them for years and we carry them even when we travel insided the states.

Jim & Ruth[/QUOTE]
Why? When we are not traveling out of the country, we keep ours safely in our safety deposit box. US Passports are very, very valuable to some very, very shady folks, and I would not want mine stolen for nasty purposes.

[quote name='sail7seas'][font=Comic Sans MS]If we require their citizens to have Visas to come here, why shouldn't they require them of us to go to their country? It's a pain/nuisance and if a stop in Venezuela is included in any of the cruises we just booked, we could well cancel and book something else but it is their right to require whatever they wish. IMO[/font][/QUOTE]

Yes they can - any number of countries require visas. But if you read the story I linked to, you'll find that Venezuela is considering refusing to issue visas to any US citizens. That's just a bit "over the top"...

On the visa problem, I think that Venezuela is one of the countries where you have to appear in person to apply for a visa. That is fine if you live in NY, San Fran, or Chicago, but Obetz Oh. isn`t near any of those cities!!.......jean :cool:

[font=Comic Sans MS][b]If Venezuela choose to not issue Visas to U.S. citizens, seems HAL will have to remove our port stop in Isla de Margarita on our April Ryndam cruise. FINE by me. No loss to not stop there IMO [/b][/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS][/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS][b]I realize that even if one does not plan to leave the ship in a port they most obtain all necessary Visas and we shall but we shall hold a while to see how this all works out.[/b][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][b]I'd hate to dance through hoops to get a Visa and then have HAL pull Margarita from our itinerary. Hmmmmm.....I wonder if HAL will get all of the necessary Visas for us or if we would do it individually???[/b]

[/font]

[quote name='Krazy Kruizers'][b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=blue]Even if we are traveling in the states, we still take our passports with us as it is much easier at the airport for identification purposes. Then we just lock them up in the room safe or get a safety deposit box at the hotel.[/color][/font][/b][/QUOTE]
We find our driver's licenses do the trick, no problem. I really do worry about our passports. We were abroad when another couple on our tour had theirs stolen in Amsterdam. It was a nightmare for them. First of all, the American Embassy was no help. They couldn't even make contact. Long story short, it took them 3 days and a long train ride to catch up with our tour, at their expense. Of course, this would not happen in the states, but it is important to know that there are many who want to steal those precious documents.

We did not the e-mail, but we have had and used passports for the last fifteen years. We just renewed ours and it has to be renewed again in 2010. Passports are valid for a maximum of five years from the date of issue.

[quote name='sail7seas'][font=Comic Sans MS][b]I wonder if HAL will get all of the necessary Visas for us or if we would do it individually???[/b][/font][/QUOTE] I don't know ... but in many cases (like St. Petersburg, Russia) if you are on a ship's tour they acquire the necessary paperwork. I took a flight into Moscow, so I had to get a Russian visa on my own, as did those who toured St. Petersburg on their own or with Red October or Denrus.

I got the email. It is some sort of government change. It goes into effect in December, I believe. I guess it is a security measure, or so it seems. Hubby and I have passports...it's just easier to have it, and then your always good to go, no worries. Ours are good for another 5 years.

Karen
aka Rumpleteaser

If a visa is required for a particular country, HAL will inform you and send you the necessary paper work and the name and address of a Company who will get your visa (for a fee). I my case I needed visas for entry into China, Indonesia, and Australia for my upcoming 62 day pacific cruise. HAL provided the forms and where to send them. We did not need a visa for Russia as HAL has one to cover the entire ship. But, and this is the case as pointed out earlier, if we only have the ship visa in Russia then it only covers the optiona tours from the ship. I would not be able to leave the ship on my own and wander around the port. If I wanted to be able to do that on my own I would have to obtain a Russian visa for myself and spouse. As for Venezuela it was stated you might have to appear in person, this is incorrect you can obtain a visa for Venezuela thru a visa service. Furthermore I believe if you do not have the proper visa's at boarding you will be denied boarding.
Unfortunatley the changes in passport requirements are a sign of the times we live in, but I feel are for our own protection.
If you lived in Europe befor the European Union you always had a passport and needed to go from country to country. In the 70's my wife and I had an exchange student from Sweden living with us. We decided to take her to see New Hampshire, we lived in Mass at the time. When we came to a toll booth she went diving for her passport, which we got a chuckle out of. But that is where we are now headed and we are not use to it.
My advice is if you plan on traveling in the future get a passport asap to beat the rush.:)

KAJOKG
We bring them along because they are the best form of identification there is...

SAIL7SEAS
Please leave Isle De Margarita on the schedule. I have become addicted to Venezuelan Coffee and need a stop there to replenish my supplies.
Ruth loves it because you can get hand Blown glass there that is made on the homeland.

On second thought cancel the visits. It will be cheaper to have the coffee shipped than have Ruth go to the glass shops..........

Jim & ruth

I just read the Consular Information Sheet on Venezuela and I asked my self the question, why get off the ship? If you want to read the sheet go to:

[url]http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1059.html[/url]

[quote name='bruceh4']I just read the Consular Information Sheet on Venezuela and I asked my self the question, why get off the ship? If you want to read the sheet go to:

[url="http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1059.html"]http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1059.html[/url][/QUOTE]

[b][font=Comic Sans MS]I seriously doubt we would leave the ship in Isla Margarita. However, if a Visa is required for U.S. citizens, it matters not if one is going to stay aboard or go ashore. No one would be permitted to board the ship who did not have a valid Visa. Everyone aboard is required to have all necessary documents. If you don't have them; you don't board the ship.[/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS]We'll wait a while to see what HAL has to say about all this.[/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS]Russia is quite different than a stop in some less than fabulous island in the Caribbean. IMO I don't think that rules that apply in Russia have much bearing on the South American country of Venezuela.....which, it appears, is currently not wildly crazy about the U.S.[/font][/b]

We have had our passports since October but we didn't receive the e-mail from HAL, which is strange since they have our address.

[quote name='trubey']Of course I have a passport. Look where I live. I didn't get the e-mail, though. I wonder if they didn't send it to mariners who reside in foreign countries. susana.[/QUOTE]

It is important to get your passport renewed before 6 months prior to expiration if you are going to be doing any international travel close to that time. Some countries won't honor a passport that expires within 6 months.

[quote name='JimVrhovac']Please leave Isle De Margarita on the schedule. I have become addicted to Venezuelan Coffee and need a stop there to replenish my supplies.[/QUOTE]

WE thoroughly enjoyed Margarita when we stopped there a couple of years ago. Much more so than most Caribbean ports - it's not just another island with a beach and a Diamonds International!

And politically there pretty ambivalent about whoever is in the chair in Caracas. THey seem to consider themselves semi-autonomous, and were certainly warm and cordial to us.

[quote name='JimVrhovac']KAJOKG
We bring them along because they are the best form of identification there is...
[/QUOTE]
But, totally unnecessary for a US citizen while traveling in the US. We find it much easier to pull out our driver's license, which is totally acceptable. We always carry our passports with us when out of the country, and have copies on us when in the Caribbean. In fact, ship's officials advise that you do not bring your passports ashore. But, if you are comfortable with it, then that's what you should do.

[quote name='dakrewser']WE thoroughly enjoyed Margarita when we stopped there a couple of years ago. Much more so than most Caribbean ports - it's not just another island with a beach and a Diamonds International!

And politically there pretty ambivalent about whoever is in the chair in Caracas. THey seem to consider themselves semi-autonomous, and were certainly warm and cordial to us.[/QUOTE]

[b][font=Comic Sans MS]How do you recommend spending a nice day in Margarita, Dave? A Diamonds International is about the last thing I would wish to see. I don't think I've ever stepped foot in one. I get so sick of the heavy sell from the on-board shopping expert (as heard in cabin on the TV), that it's a turnoff for me. There is nothing I need or want from Diamonds International.[/font][/b]

I received the e-mail message last week from Holland with contact addresses. So...I asked about a Visa being needed for my Venezuela cruise in Oct./Nov. Here is the message I just received back:

[font=Arial][size=2][color=#0000ff]U.S. passport holders will not require visa to enter Venezuela. If you have a passport issued by any other country please advise.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=2][color=#0000ff][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=2][color=#0000ff]Thanks,[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=2]Peter Gulas
Zierer Visa Service
1625 K Street NW
Suite 102
Washington, DC 20006[/size][/font]

[quote name='sail7seas'][b][font=Comic Sans MS]How do you recommend spending a nice day in Margarita, Dave? A Diamonds International is about the last thing I would wish to see. I don't think I've ever stepped foot in one. I get so sick of the heavy sell from the on-board shopping expert (as heard in cabin on the TV), that it's a turnoff for me. There is nothing I need or want from Diamonds International.[/font][/b]
[/QUOTE]

You don't have to worry about DI. There is nothing where you dock. I hear there are some stands the locals have set up. To go anywhere you must get a cab or book an excursion.

I have been there twice. I never stepped off the ship.

Archived