I too got the email.

Here is what the email said.....

Holland America Line: A Tradition of Excellence

PASSPORT ALERT-PLEASE READ CAREFULLY.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT NEW PASSPORT REQUIREMENTS

FOR U.S. AND CANADIAN CITIZENS.

Lisa L

Mariner Society #xxxxxxxxxxx

Because you are a valued Mariner Society® Member, we want to make sure that you are aware of the latest information regarding passport requirements.

In April 2005, the U.S. Department of State announced details of the proposed “Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative”. If enacted, U.S. and Canadian citizens will be required to carry a passport for travel to or from certain countries/areas that were previously exempt. As you are making future travel plans, you'll want to keep the proposed implementation dates in mind:

* Beginning December 31, 2005, a passport or other accepted document* will be required for all air and sea travel to or from the Caribbean, Bermuda, Central and South America.

* Beginning December 31, 2006, a passport or other accepted document* will be required for all air and sea travel to or from Mexico and Canada.

* Beginning December 31, 2007, a passport or other accepted document* will be required for all air, sea and land border crossings.

To avoid a last-minute rush, we encourage you to obtain or ensure you have a valid passport. You'll find more information and helpful resources at the links below.

We look forward to welcoming you back on board a Holland America Line cruise in the future.

Obtaining a Passport in the U.S.

http://pull.xmr3.com/p/60676-0BED/32596006/clickto1_te.gov-passport-passport_1738.html

Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative and Time Line

http://pull.xmr3.com/p/60676-CF6C/32596008/clickto2_e.gov-travel-cbpmc-cbpmc_2223.html

Visa Requirements for U.S. and Canadian Citizens

http://pull.xmr3.com/p/60676-C96F/32596040/http-www.zvs.com.html

Holland America Line Documentation Requirements

http://pull.xmr3.com/p/60676-59AD/32596011/clickto4_on-topic=passportrequirements.html

*Although other valid documentation may be sufficient in some circumstances, the United States Department of Homeland Security has not yet made a final determination as to which forms of documentation may serve as a valid alternative to a passport. For more information, please see http://pull.xmr3.com/p/60676-9AAC/32596015/clickto5_te.gov-passport-passport_1738.html which is the United States Department of State's website for passport information, and follow the links to "New Requirements for Travelers Between the United States and the Western Hemisphere."

I totally agree that everyone needs to get going now if they do not have a passport. Tom and I have had ours for several years now. I had one 35 years ago when I was much younger but let it lapse. I wish I had not. But this should be something that should be priority for anyone who plans to travel.

We received the same email - we've had passports since 1988 and continue to renew when they expire. Here in the "frozen tundra" our passports are only valid for 5 years so we have an opportunity to update our photos a little more regularly than you folks "down south".:D

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I think most Canadians have had passports for many years. For years some Americans seemed reluctant to get them saying "I am just going to Mexico or Canada", but now everyone will need them. I think they are the best form of identification.

Must remember to renew ours in January.

Good one ger - my hair colour sure ain't the same as it was 5 years ago. :D

We've had ours since 1981 and looks can sure change. :D

We received the e-mail, also. We've had passports for many years but think it a good idea that HAL is sending this e-mail out to so many people. Will surely help at least a few who 'didn't know'!!!

I think it a good idea that HAL sent the e-mail.

Although it (new requirement) has been fairly well publicized, there are always those who claim not to have heard.

I renewed my passport this past December, with a 3 week turnaround - pretty good service I thought.

(a) Do I need a passport to visit Hawaii?

(b) My wife/husband has a passport; can we both travel on it?

© I'm friends with the Captain and he will vouch for me.

(d) I don't drink, so I don't have Passport Scotch.

(e) What ports will I pass with a passport?

(f) Do I need an English passport to visit England?

(g) This is un-American; the Constitution doesn't say anything about Passports.

Did anyone else get an e-mail from HAL's mariner society?

We just got one a few minutes ago reminding us about the new requirements and passports.

I renewed mine last November and DH renewed his this past June.

Yep, I found it in my queue when I logged on this afternoon.

I got a passport last year ... before my very first cruise. My TA strongly recommended one and I figured ... "what the hey?" Glad I did. There's gonna be a mad rush for them over the next couple of months.

Mine's good clear up to 2013 ... so at least that's one less thing I have to worry about.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Got the E-mail and we are booked but will not be taking our first HAL trip until December 2005. We felt the E-mail was very clear and well done. Got our passports about 15 years ago when we were about to retire.

topsail

You know those threads will never stop.

There is already one on this board - something like "Do I need a passport for the Southern Caribbean?"

We also got the email and I posted it as a response to the thread you mentioned. and you are correct, that is a subject that will never, ever go away. Now if someone could just explain to me why my blue jeans and denim jacket are noa acceptable on formal night.....

I didn't get the e-mail, though.
Nor did I. And they do have my e-mail addy. Guess I'm just too far down the ladder. Perhaps they're sending them out in batches. Doesn't matter, though, since we've had our passports a long time.

Didn't receive the email (yet) and they do have our address as well. Maybe it's because we're already booked in 2005 and have filled out our immigration info and they would know we have our passports and they are still good for a couple more years, As others have said, it's the easiest and best form of I.D. you can carry. We also have the main info page copied and reduced and laminated so we can carry them with us when we go ashore and leave our "real" passport in our room safe. :):)

Yep, I also received the e-mail today. No problem with a passport, but I did hear on one of these forums that a Visa will be necessary for Venezuela. HAL has Venezuela on my Oct. 29, 2005 itinerary.

I fired off an e-mail with the address given on today's message asking whether I really needed to get a Visa. (Personally I'd rather they go to a different port IF a visa is needed). I've been to Venezuela a couple times and probably won't even get off the ship.

Will be interested to see their response! It was a good idea for them to send out reminders on the passports, though! I'm all set except for that possible Visa.:rolleyes:

Archived