Do I Have this right?

chaperonemom

My hubby just informed me that he didn't want to pack for the formal nights on the ship. Did I see where we can order the same meal offered that evening to be delivered by room service? Thanks!!![/endQUOTE]

====

Go to the Main Dining Room. Men just need some sort of Jacket and a Tie on formal nights. You could get a pre-tied bow tie. I have never seen anyone turned away with this outfit.

SFO Peter

Sheila,

Unfortunately, there are many who, for whatever reason, take no responsibility for having rules obeyed, let others walk over them and simply act as sheep. "Never make a scene", "it’s not appropriate", "I’d never say anything", etc. Sometimes it is worth speaking up.

I feel sorry for those who are too afraid to ever take a stand for doing the right thing.

If another passenger was constantly asking you to give them money, kept using inappropriate language, kept touching you inappropriately, kept handling food in the buffet and then returning it to the serving location, etc., would you stand up and say something? I certainly hope so. So why the objection to my pointing out a violation of the dress code?

Scott & Karen

Many people do speak up - when it's for something worthwhile. Certainly not for somebody's clothing, for goodness sake. That's just plain rude.

Rather different from being touched, inappropriate language and all the other dramatic instances you have quoted.

Many people do speak up - when it's for something worthwhile. Certainly not for somebody's clothing, for goodness sake. That's just plain rude.

Rather different from being touched, inappropriate language and all the other dramatic instances you have quoted.

I agree with you. I do not mind speaking up, when its something important to me. Clothing does not fall into this category (unless it is REALLY inappropriate) for me.

DaveOKC

I agree with you. I do not mind speaking up, when its something important to me. Clothing does not fall into this category (unless it is REALLY inappropriate) for me.

DaveOKC

Hell if I didn't open my big mouth , my friends and family would think I was dying *LOL*

But you also have to pick your battles. You try and hurt me or my family physically emotionally or financially , I have no problem going for the jugular. But over someone at the table not dressed formally enough. That isn't even a cloudy day in my world.

Several years ago we were sitting in a public space listening to this glorious quartet (Adagio) performing beautiful music. One or more couples sitting very close to us were engaging in not so subtle conversation throughout. About a quarter way thru the performance some gentleman (maybe CaveDiver??) got up, approached these people, and asked them in a loud, stern voice to please shut the #$% up during the performance.

Afterward I complimented the man on his actions. I am not sure I would do this in the dining room venue for attire, but it was certainly appropriate during the music performance.

We were on an excursion ( NA Med) with a couple who had their luggage delayed. HAL GAVE THEM T-shirts and shirts from the gust shop, toilet items and loaned them formal wear!

That defines service.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Several years ago we were sitting in a public space listening to this glorious quartet (Adagio) performing beautiful music. One or more couples sitting very close to us were engaging in not so subtle conversation throughout. About a quarter way thru the performance some gentleman (maybe CaveDiver??) got up, approached these people, and asked them in a loud, stern voice to please shut the #$% up during the performance.

Afterward I complimented the man on his actions. I am not sure I would do this in the dining room venue for attire, but it was certainly appropriate during the music performance.

It really bugs me when people sit and talk through the Adagio performances. But I also think anyone who stands up (during the performance) and uses loud profanity would bother me more. That would be more disruptive and rude IMO.

Now if he had told them during an intermission or even between pieces that others couldn't enjoy the music because of their conversation, I would applaud him.

what happened to shhh? it usually works and can be done quietly - or even the finger between the lips (NOT THE FINGER) symbolizing quiet. Alternatively ask at their intermission?

Lots of ways to do it delicately, nicely if it's disturbing without using @#$%$ up. there are lots of ways to subtley achieve your objectives without being verbose, obscene or rude. :D

I don't know if I would have applauded that but I do agree with the intent. there's just other ways to do it.

All I can say is if you were seated at the same table as we were (fixed seating), you would be asked to wear the proper attire. This would be done either by the maître'd or by me. And if necessary, it would be asked politely but quite loudly.

Scott & Karen

Good for you! One evening at fixed main, I asked a young man to kindly remove his baseball cap. He loudly told me to go a f--- myself. :eek:I got moved to another table for the duration of the cruise, My choice by the way.

The other afternoon I was at a movie with a girlfriend and there were 7 people in the theater. The trailers and coming attractions hadn't even begun and the lights hadn't even dimmed. All that was on the screen were animated ads. We were talking very low as was another couple. All of a sudden a woman by herself halfway across the near empty theater jumps up and starts screaming at us to be quiet and shut up, she couldn't hear the show. We tried not to laugh. What was playing was an animated Coke commercial to get people to rush to the concession stand.

Some people are wound up just a little too tight.

We were on an excursion ( NA Med) with a couple who had their luggage delayed. HAL GAVE THEM T-shirts and shirts from the gust shop, toilet items and loaned them formal wear!

That defines service.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It happened to me too. One thing they gave me was a hairbrush that folds into itself. It's the coolest thing. I still use it for every trip. They have a clothes closet you can look thru although most things have seen better days. I left some of my walmart wardrobe behind to pay it forward. Hopefully someone has benefited from it. I want to reiterate Hal was exceptionally good to me when this happened. They bent over backwards to communicate with united as united was totally useless.

Did the little green men tag along too?:D:rolleyes: I sometimes wonder about your hallucinations.....

One of my colleagues wears pyjama bottoms (or they look like)to work regularly. I had to laugh because the manager said to her she looked pretty "casual". Then she felt the need to justify it. When you have to justify what you are wearing you should realize it's not ok.

On my Alaska cruise this July I didn't see one inappropriate clothing item. Everyone was dressed really nice. I even saw plenty of tuxes on formal nights (one whole family including children). It wouldn't have bothered me, but it felt so much more festive. I loved seeing the long dresses and pretty dresses on the young girls.