Do I Have this right?

chaperonemom

Absolutely.

I saw a picture of that low life Bernie Madoff in formal wear. Despite the formal dress, the man is still pond scum who ruined many a retirement plan. But my, he did look handsome and elegant in his evening togs.

I guess there are still a few "Major Hooples" out and about.

There are still people out there who judge others by what they wear. After many years in business dealing with senior people I have come to appreciate that it is a mistake to do so. Especially today when so many people are going casual. Even on Seabourne.

Very well said :)

And thanks alot for making me feel old because I knew who Major Hoople is *LOL*

All I can say is if you were seated at the same table as we were (fixed seating), you would be asked to wear the proper attire. This would be done either by the maître'd or by me. And if necessary, it would be asked politely but quite loudly.

Scott & Karen

The good thing is that if it was me sitting at your table, we wouldn't even have to have this conversation. We would have already spent a night or 2 dining together, would have figured out what type of people you are and I would have already asked to have my table changed....

Last month on the Maasdam gentlemen without jackets were NOT seated in the main dining room - they did have "loaner" jackets at the maître d' stand.

Yes this may be your vacation, but there are also rules - if you do not wish to follow the rules, then eat at the buffet or select a cruise line that permits baseball caps, and tank tops at formal dinners.

Well now, it depends on what your definition of "proper attire" is and what everyone else's is.

It's simple to me: if the maitre d' says someone can be seated as they are dressed, then they're fine. It's his/her dining room.

I am truly stunned. I knew we had Fashion Police on the boards but didn't realize that there were some actually on board:p:D

DH and I do dress appropriately but I wouldn't dream of telling someone else how to dress

I think after Sapper and Dave, I'm plus 3.

Roy

Gosh, we thought the formal dress guideline was intended to be ship-wide. Doesn't that mean we have to dress formal even for room service? :rolleyes:

Oh absolutely ...The fashion police have eyes everywhere . *LOL*

All I can say is if you were seated at the same table as we were (fixed seating), you would be asked to wear the proper attire. This would be done either by the maître'd or by me. And if necessary, it would be asked politely but quite loudly.

Scott & Karen

Who died and left you in charge of the MDR?

The maitre'd isn't going to bother anyone.

but do they have a mirror? It's always good to look at yourself before you criticize others :)

I don't think they do.

The most famous fashion police officer at these red carpet events is Joan Rivers .....Yikes she looks like that old ventriloquist puppet "Madam" that used to be on the tv BACK IN THE 70S AND 80S, and her daughter Geeeeeez

We've taken many HAL cruises and never had a problem wearing a jacket over an open shirt into the dining room on formal nights. Ignore the Fashion Police and enjoy!

yeah lets see what happens stupid baseball caps, cut off jeans, tank tops. all because people refuse to respect a simple rule. If you don't want to get dressed up and you know its formal night don'r go to the MDR there is plentaly of other places to eat. But then again its all about "ME". The waiteers are not going to cause a scene. so weare your shirts and pants and No tie or jacket because you have to wear it to work every day.. Why not see what happens if you try that aat your job. I wish HAl would ban baseball caps in the MDR. Please someone tell me why men never take these hats off? do the sleep with them on? do they wear them to church? A furneral a weddening? a job interview? when do the take them off.

Mary

(The "quote" feature isn't working for me today.) I have to agree with those who wonder why some passengers have an aversion to dressing up. It's only two evenings a week, for goodness sake - and formal doesn't even mean formal any more.

There are other cruise lines that consider blue jeans and baseball caps to be acceptable wear for the MDR. So why choose a line that has at least a semblance of formality?

As for the "it's my holiday so I will do what I like" crowd, they show contempt for their fellow passengers who have chosen to cruise on a ship that has some formal nights and who go to the trouble of adhering to the dress code.

I am not one of the so-called fashion police and I won't let the presence of non-formally attired people in the MDR ruin my dinner. But if I find myself sharing a table with a slob (e.g. the baseball cap brigade) on a formal night it might give me indigestion:(.

Scott & Karen

What of their luggage was lost? What if they had laundry destroyed? Maybe it isn't their fault; regardless it isn't your business.

While you are pretending to preserve class you are showing you lack it. On the way out I'd make sure to ask you what religion you are, how much you pad for your cabin, and what political party you support.

I keep hearing about baseball caps, cut off jeans, muscle shirts, flip flops and you name it at dinner time in the MDR.

We have experienced many cruises on HAL, Celebrity, NCL, Carnival, RCI, Crystal, and Princess.

Have not seen those modes of attire at dinner in any of the MDR's on any ship that we have been fortunate enough to cruise on.

Perhaps we are not very observant. One might have got past me but DW does not miss much.

Edited by iancal

What of their luggage was lost? What if they had laundry destroyed? Maybe it isn't their fault; regardless it isn't your business.

While you are pretending to preserve class you are showing you lack it. On the way out I'd make sure to ask you what religion you are, how much you pad for your cabin, and what political party you support.

The old luggage got lost story wears a bit thin. My luggage was lost on my Noordam cruise in 2013 and no one was the wiser.

I'm always amazed how posters keep beating a dead horse and that goes for the formal camp as well as the casual. While I expect that from some posters who only seem to post to stir the pot, I expect more from others.

I keep hearing about baseball caps, cut off jeans, muscle shirts, flip flops and you name it at dinner time in the MDR.

We have experienced many cruises on HAL, Celebrity, NCL, Carnival, RCI, Crystal, and Princess.

Have not seen those modes of attire at dinner in any of the MDR's on any ship that we have been fortunate enough to cruise on.

Perhaps we are not very observant. One might have got past me but DW does not miss much.

Haven't you posted before that you don't judge people:confused:?

The old luggage got lost story wears a bit thin. My luggage was lost on my Noordam cruise in 2013 and no one was the wiser.

I'm always amazed how posters keep beating a dead horse and that goes for the formal camp as well as the casual. While I expect that from some posters who only seem to post to stir the pot, I expect more from others.

to this day I have never been able to fathom how you did it with the lost luggage. You should do a thread on what to buy where and how one of these days. I was amazed at how you coped. I don't know if I would have fared as well and I know that DH wouldn't have. kudos to you:D

If your luggage was lost, you can't dress formally unless you travel that way. 90 percent of the world doesn't, so if luggage was lost/delayed they most likely can't adhere to the "rules." My point is simply there are factors sometimes far beyond laziness to not wearing a jacket and tie. Lost luggage is awful, sorry you had to experience that. :(

Please note we normally bring formal attire. I think it's corny, but to each their own.

Edited by sppunk

We met the sweetest family on our Statendam land cruisetour . Grandparents from Nashville had their grandson with them. This cruise was to celebrate his graduation from High School. He chose not to join us on formal nite because he didn't have the " right" wardrobe with him. I think that there is way too much emphasis placed upon this wardrobe , when this young man felt that he would be inappropriate , and might offend some of the guests.

Marilyn

Sent from my iPad using Forums