Do I Have this right?

chaperonemom

Yes you can, and we did it on our last cruise. They will ask you how many servings you want, so don't be shy. Our food arrived when they said it would, and it was hot. We really enjoyed it much more on our balcony than we did in the main dining room. We forgot to order dessert, so make sure to include that also.

If you do have a balcony, bring along a small table cloth and a couple of flameless candles to make it even more special. We have these items next to our suitcases right now for our upcoming cruise.

You can order off the Dining room menu for room service or go to the Lido, which will have many of the DR offerings

Quoting for truth.

You don't feel like dressing up, the Lido has nearly all the same food. Worst is that the Lido buffet closes by 8** (I think).

Derek

My hubby just informed me that he didn't want to pack for the formal nights on the ship. Did I see where we can order the same meal offered that evening to be delivered by room service? Thanks!!!

What ship will you be on? How long is your cruise? Many changes are happening.

Have you read this on HAL

[/url]

•  

Is There A Dress Code?

The right clothing can make a big difference in the enjoyment of your cruise. First and foremost, dress for comfort. Daily life aboard ship and in ports of call is laid back and casual. Warmer climates call for clothing made of lightweight, breathable fabrics. For cooler climates, we suggest casual clothes that can be layered easily and possibly a raincoat and waterproof hat or umbrella and gloves. Certain shore excursions may require particular attention to clothing. For example, certain churches or other places of worship may not allow tank tops or short pants.

Bring a swimsuit as all of our ships have pools and whirlpools. You may wish to bring more than one outfit for the water. We ask that you wear shoes and a cover-up over a bathing suit when walking through the interior of the ship. If you would like to jog on the sports deck or work out in the fitness center, bring workout gear.

Footwear should include comfortable walking shoes for visits ashore and sandals or rubber-soled shoes for strolling on deck.

Evening dress falls into two distinct categories: Formal or Smart Casual. Smart Casual can be defined as slacks and sports shirts or sweater for men and skirt or trousers and sweater or blouse for women. Printed T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas during the evening hours.

On festive Formal evenings, ladies wear a cocktail dress or gown and gentlemen wear a suit and tie or tuxedo. Formal wear for ladies and gentlemen can be pre-ordered for your use during your cruise by calling Cruiseline Formalwear at 1-800-551-5091 or (305) 252-6565. For more information, please visit cruiselineformal.com. Your formal wear will be in your stateroom when you board. In order to complement your fellow guests, Holland America Line asks that you observe the suggested dress code throughout the entire evening. The number of Formal evenings on your cruise will depend upon the duration of the voyage. Please note, if you have booked collector voyages, the number of Formal evenings is based upon the duration of each individual voyage of the ship.

Voyages of 28 days or less will follow the schedule below for Formal evenings:

Voyage durationNumber of Formal eveningsLess than 7 days

7 - 13 days

14 - 20 days

21 - 28 days

1 Formal evening

2 Formal evenings

3 Formal evenings

4 Formal evenings

The number of Formal evenings on voyages longer than 28 days will vary based on the activities and cruise schedule.

We do not dress for formal night, and still eat in the dining room! Its your vacation, be comfy!

Guess that would depend on your maître'd. While on the Westerdam last year we witnessed a passenger turned-away from the MDR (on a formal night) because he was not wearing a jacket (and he refused a jacket offered by the maître d). His poor wife was humiliated. But a few months later on the Veendam we saw a man get in the MDR without a jacket...and another had no problem with his baseball cap.

Hank

If you wish to dine in your cabin -- some things you need to think about. Many balconies do not have a regular size table to have a dinner -- many have just a tiny cocktail table --very tiny. Those cabins have a small table in the cabin -- some can be raised -others can not.

If you want to have dinner in your cabin -- rules differ by ship. Some ships require you to order within the first hour or half hour of the dining room opening which is 5:15 for Open Seating. Some ships require you to wait until 6 PM to place your order. So you need to find out what the rules are for your ship. You can request whatever time you want dinner brought to your cabin.

On our recent 19 day Baltic cruise, we decided after the first day that we didn't want the hassle of getting out of our tour clothes to go to the MDR for dinner and that on our few sea days, we REALLY didn't want to get dressed up for formal nights.

We ate in the Lido pretty much every evening. The food was great--shrimp appetizers, cheese plates, the cold soups, hot soups, steak, lamb, coq au vin, etc. The only place it fell short was the desserts.

We've never had such a relaxing cruise that was also port intensive!

As for formal nights, we would only go to the MDR if we were dressed formally. I honestly think that's the proper way to handle the choice.

You have all the rights in the world. You have the right to not dress formally if you don't want to. It's not a huge effort on HAL but we skipped it on our 8 formal night one time too. We chose to eat in the cabin :)

You can eat in the cabin, order off the MDR menu is you want or go to the Lido or the Cannaletto as others have said.

Life is good on HAL. going to the MDR without a jacket and tie on formal night is not something my DH would do. but he likes to match dress codes.

You will be fine. Have a great cruise

We do not dress for formal night, and still eat in the dining room! Its your vacation, be comfy!

It's your vacation. Dress casual, but sharply and go to the MDR.

All I can say is if you were seated at the same table as we were (fixed seating), you would be asked to wear the proper attire. This would be done either by the maître'd or by me. And if necessary, it would be asked politely but quite loudly.

Scott & Karen

All I can say is if you were seated at the same table as we were (fixed seating), you would be asked to wear the proper attire. This would be done either by the maître'd or by me. And if necessary, it would be asked politely but quite loudly.

Scott & Karen

You made me laugh! I would not leave! Being kind i would suggest you stuff your stuffy bow tie up your stuffy butt!

You made me laugh! I would not leave! Being kind i would suggest you stuff your stuffy bow tie up your stuffy butt!

Hey you have to give them one thing.

They make eating in Lido or in your cabin look more and more attractive :)

I am truly stunned. I knew we had Fashion Police on the boards but didn't realize that there were some actually on board:p:D

DH and I do dress appropriately but I wouldn't dream of telling someone else how to dress

I am truly stunned. I knew we had Fashion Police on the boards but didn't realize that there were some actually on board:p:D

DH and I do dress appropriately but I wouldn't dream of telling someone else how to dress

What Jacqui said. As much as I enjoy dressing up and enjoy seeing others dressed up on formal night, I would not have the audacity to call someone out on it if they sat at my table not adhering to dress code. So déclassé.

What Jacqui said. As much as I enjoy dressing up and enjoy seeing others dressed up on formal night, I would not have the audacity to call someone out on it if they sat at my table not adhering to dress code. So déclassé.

Ditto here!

DaveOKC

Well now, it depends on what your definition of "proper attire" is and what everyone else's is. The maitre'd would have more class than to have someone removed at another passenger's demand, and if you tried to do it you would likely end up on the other side of the MDR doors. There's more to class than a bow-tie.

Absolutely.

I saw a picture of that low life Bernie Madoff in formal wear. Despite the formal dress, the man is still pond scum who ruined many a retirement plan. But my, he did look handsome and elegant in his evening togs.

I guess there are still a few "Major Hooples" out and about.

There are still people out there who judge others by what they wear. After many years in business dealing with senior people I have come to appreciate that it is a mistake to do so. Especially today when so many people are going casual. Even on Seabourne.

Edited by iancal

I wish we could avoid all this fuss about formal/elegant nights.

What some one else wears, as long as it's sanitary, doesn't affect me.

Good food and convivial tablemates are all I desire.

I think the real purpose of "formal" nights is to sell photos.