Breakaway Diverted!

jfried8

We actually have fond memories of our hurricaine Frances aug 28 2004 cruise!

First time cruising as a family on dcl

Went from 7 days to 11 days

New ports added and dcl keep us far out of hurricaine territory

Trip insurance kicked in for the $300 in extra telephone and limo transport expenses as we never did get back to the original port

JetBlue was fabulous with rescheduling

Dcl offered to get those pax that couldn't arrange immediate transport home to dis world and put them up for free

That cruise did not sour us on cruising

What it did was make us realize that we prefer longer cruises! Lol

What I learned from this....

Always pack extra underwear!!! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have fond memories of our hurricane Katrina cruise! The rain started just as we were leaving Key West to go up the coast to Miami and get off the ship. Instead, the captain took us out to sea for an extra day. I waited it out in a hot tub! Carnival gave us free phone calls to rebook our plane. Southwest didn't charge anything extra and we took the Carnival bus, as planned, to FLL a day later.

Hoping no storms interfere with our 9/7 to Bermuda on the Breakaway! I've been to Bermuda once and loved it, my bf has never been and is very excited. I think he'd be heartbroken if we were diverted. Still excited for a cruise, though! Keeping my fingers crossed that no other storms pop up between now and then :)

Not even a refunded for part of the fare? Cause Florida & Nassau are so not Bermuda......Not even a stop mention to GSC, I would feel ripoff for that.:( I understand the weather, but did the passengers at least given a choice to not go or not?

I believe you have no rights to any form of refund. The contact's terms specifically state that you have no guarantee of going to the ports listed at your booking.

I was on a 7 day cruise that got extended to 10 days due to hurricanes affecting MIA and FLL. Princess was selling cheap B2B cruises [the last 5 days] as things went non-linear. In that case I think they made accommodations for those who could not get to the shortened next cruise, but i have no facts to base that on.

Dec thru march day time 68 -71 night time low 60s. Water temps about 65.

Not so bad...

This cracked me up. You can tell we're from different parts of the east coast. :D 65 degree water temp, not so bad? :eek: I'll consider going to the beach, when the water temp hits 80+. 65 in ocean temps is downright frigid. With the temps listed above, I'd be bundled up touring the town. There's no way I'd put my toe in the water. :p

Hoping no storms interfere with our 9/7 to Bermuda on the Breakaway! I've been to Bermuda once and loved it, my bf has never been and is very excited. I think he'd be heartbroken if we were diverted. Still excited for a cruise, though! Keeping my fingers crossed that no other storms pop up between now and then :)

I read this and laughed because I am experiencing the exact same thing, including the boyfriend who hasn't been yet! I know it's a little less than 2 weeks away so this storm will be long gone but I am worried that more will come and affect our trip. We've been preparing for this trip forever and it's our first vacation together so I hope we actually get to go to bermuda and not the Bahamas or god forbid somewhere cold!!

It's so disappointing to be on a cruise and have the weather mess up the itinerary and some of our plans. But, I'm also thankful that the cruise lines take safety into consideration first and foremost.

Hope everyone is having the best time possible….

From what I can gather, Bermuda can be chilly in the winter. Weatherwise, you might be better off in Florida,

.....we sailed out of NY going to Port Canaveral, Nassau and Freeport. I will never again sail out of NY in the winter. The weather was nice, but I could not go in any water at all. We even had a day pass at a resort that had a pool but the pools were not heated either.

:(

wasiii

Edited by wasiii

We had to divert to Nassau a few years ago on the Dawn from Boston when a hurricane was predicted for Bermuda. Our fellow passengers were very gracious about the whole thing, thankful that the cruise line was so cautious. We were not in Nassau long, but we have good memories of that cruise.

Haha to where? I'm getting nervous

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I doubt if NCL has made a decision yet on next week's cruise. My guess would be that it will sail as scheduled unless the weather take a bad turn later in the week.

Latest NOAA's NHC's 8 AM forecast this morning, the storm will miss Bermuda & head out north/east into the Atlantic. Expect rougher seas and waves, choppy waters although ships will definitely do their best to avoid around & stay away - time permitting with their scheduled timing, etc.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT04/refresh/AL0414W5_NL_sm2+gif/115155W5_NL_sm.gif

There's nothing near-term in the forecast or weather map to worry about for early part of next week - why worry, be happy to be on a cruise. This is the height of our annual Hurricane Season - the odds are slim but nevertheless exist.

On Breakaway now. Though disappointed we're not in Bermuda, taking it in stride. Virtually all the passengers are understanding and realize safety is a higher priority than anything else. Otherwise, no complaints.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Glad to hear. Thanks for the post Rick.

Enjoy your cruise and safe sailing!

~Robin

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

A friend of mine on the ship said they got $48 in port fees for missing Bermuda.

wasiii

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app