Breakaway Diverted!

jfried8

Being diverted sux. 2 day trips (one to Florida...wow) instead of 3 days in Bermuda. They could have done much better than that (which is the issue) and so could have the 4000+ passengers. Disappointed in NCL lack of any attempt to make this experience anything better than ...well, we avoided the storm so be happy. Woohoo. Bug thumbs down for NCL and their lame response.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I laughed right out loud when I heard this.........I thought you were joking.

When I realized you weren't, I laughed right out loud again...........others' sense of entitlement always does. :p

You could have been on a ship that ignores safety and you may have ended up in a life boat in a possibly life threatening situation. The NCL Captains, I believe, do not want themselves and their crew to end up in the water and of course their passengers. Even the passengers that think they are entitled to more than what they signed a contract for.

I wish you a much better cruise (in your mind) next time. Just be careful what you ask for. ;)

Oh, by the way, welcome to CC! Let us know how your next cruise goes.

Edited by Cruisercl

Perhaps what the Captain should have done was make an announcement such as: "Anyone wishing to go to Bermuda raise your hand and step this way, you'll be taken care of in a moment.

Anyone wishing to remain in the safety of our ship navigating away from the hurricane, please remain seated and we'll continue to take care of you.

Hands raised this way.... 300 per lifeboat, start boarding now and hurry up we're not staying around much longer!!

bye"... (Captain and remaining passengers and crew waving good-bye as the lifeboats drift towards Bermuda... buffeted by strong winds and tossed by the 30m waves... )

Entitlement can do a lot for you... especially if you're only interested in money and not anyone's safety, including your own.

Damn if you do, Damn if you don't. Sail to Bermuda in the rough sea conditions and people would complain that it was unsafe and unbearable. Sail to another location that is safe and people would complain that they want to sail to Bermuda. Tune the complainers out and let them complain to themselves.

I simply say put up your sails and enjoy the great outdoors.

Perhaps what the Captain should have done was make an announcement such as: "Anyone wishing to go to Bermuda raise your hand and step this way, you'll be taken care of in a moment.

Anyone wishing to remain in the safety of our ship navigating away from the hurricane, please remain seated and we'll continue to take care of you.

Hands raised this way.... 300 per lifeboat, start boarding now and hurry up we're not staying around much longer!!

bye"... (Captain and remaining passengers and crew waving good-bye as the lifeboats drift towards Bermuda... buffeted by strong winds and tossed by the 30m waves... )

Entitlement can do a lot for you... especially if you're only interested in money and not anyone's safety, including your own.

Or they could have been notified at embarkation. Given a choice

It is NOT unheard of for a cruiseline to offer their pax the option to cancel in situations like this

With a refund.

It is NOT unheard of for a cruiseline to offer their pax the option to cancel in situations like this

With a refund.

Yes it is. Cruise lines can change their itinerary at any time, and if it's after final payment, the cruise line just follows the regular schedule, two weeks before meaning no refund.

I don't blame the cruise lines, I blame customers who don't read and/or understand their cruise contracts. Storm in a Caribbean? Plan B - but the ship WILL sail - somewhere. You take more risks sailing during hurricane season.

With a refund.

.....I think NCL knew all along they were going to go to PC and Nassau. This way they told them when they were a captive audience and could do nothing about it.

The majority of my cruises have been peak hurricane season. If something like this happens to me on my upcoming Breakaway cruise, I will be disappointed. But think of the alternative, if they take you north to New England/Canada. Not that there is anything wrong with those 2 destinations, but if I want to go there, I'll book a cruise there like I have done in the past. If I book hot, I want hot.

:cool:

wasiii

With a refund.

I have not heard this before; can you tell me what cruise line(s) does this? This might be really good information to know.

Thanks! :)

I have not heard this before; can you tell me what cruise line(s) does this? This might be really good information to know.

.....during Superstorm Sandy, I forget what ship it was, but they decided to leave early. It was because of that that people were able to cancel without penalty.

It is rare but it does happen.

wasiii

Many times cruiselines will hand out a revised itin right at the port.

As per cc.

I am going going by what has been posted here.

I have no time to search years of posts but I have a very good memory for what I read here.

Edited by luvtheships

.....during Superstorm Sandy, I forget what ship it was, but they decided to leave early. It was because of that that people were able to cancel without penalty.

It is rare but it does happen.

wasiii

Yes this sort of thing was exactly what I was thinking about.

Yes it is. Cruise lines can change their itinerary at any time, and if it's after final payment, the cruise line just follows the regular schedule, two weeks before meaning no refund.

I don't blame the cruise lines, I blame customers who don't read and/or understand their cruise contracts. Storm in a Caribbean? Plan B - but the ship WILL sail - somewhere. You take more risks sailing during hurricane season.

It has been known to happen

But whatever

These pax absolutely should have been thrown a bone. Obc? Disc on next cruise? FCC?

It would be an excellent business decision of course the posters here don't seem to be able to recognize that

.....since the "Diversion", I've been trying to look at the Port of Bermuda Webcam. It has not loaded anytime I try to bring it up but I do hear wind on the audio.

Has anyone been able to see it this past week?

:confused:

wasiii

I can just imagine what the atmosphere would have been on the BA when they said they were going to PC instead of Bermuda. My wife and I sailed the BA September 2013 to Bermuda. Their was a tropical depression that hung in the Atlantic for a week. The captain did a great job at keeping us in the sun, however it was announced on Tuesday night we would be about 6 hours late getting in on Wednesday. Lots of Boo's and Hisses. Early Wednesday morning it was announced we would not arrive until 7-8PM on Wednesday because of the storm. People were literally crying.........***??? :eek::eek:

It sucked but what the heck? crying? really. The Dawn got an extra day in port because the winds on Tuesday and Wednesday morning were gusting to 80mph. Dawn pulled out late Wednesday afternoon and we arrived at 7PM.

Stuff happens people

.....since the "Diversion", I've been trying to look at the Port of Bermuda Webcam. It has not loaded anytime I try to bring it up but I do hear wind on the audio.

Has anyone been able to see it this past week?

:confused:

wasiii

The operator of the Bermuda Webcam posted on FB that the webcam is down (went down the day before the storm was to hit BDA) but it is unrelated to Cristobal. Audio works but not the video. As soon as they can determine what the problem is they will get it back up again.

The operator of the Bermuda Webcam posted on FB that the webcam is down (went down the day before the storm was to hit BDA) but it is unrelated to Cristobal. Audio works but not the video. As soon as they can determine what the problem is they will get it back up again.

Or is it possible that they purposely have the video down so no one can see if the weather was bad enough to be diverted?

Conspiracy theory?

[emoji568]

One can never be too sure.

[emoji6]

wasiii

They could have sailed round in a big circle for a couple of days then up to NYC, docked there for three days and let everyone enjoy that marvellous city in all inclusive luxury before sailing back to Miami.

Instead of sailing down to the Nassau and Canaveral for a paltry day each. What I'm saying is that they could have stopped somewhere for three days as was the intention at Bermuda. What they actually did was not much of an effort to match the original itinerary.

It's like booking and paying for a meal at Gordon Ramsay and then the day before they have a flood and then saying "but don't worry, we've got you a table at Nandos instead. Thanks for the cash."

We all know it's not NCL's fault that weather intervenes occasionally but we can pull them up on not providing as best alternative as is possible rather than the bare minimum.

They could have sailed round in a big circle for a couple of days then up to NYC, docked there for three days and let everyone enjoy that marvellous city in all inclusive luxury before sailing back to Miami.

Instead of sailing down to the Nassau and Canaveral for a paltry day each. What I'm saying is that they could have stopped somewhere for three days as was the intention at Bermuda. What they actually did was not much of an effort to match the original itinerary.

It's like booking and paying for a meal at Gordon Ramsay and then the day before they have a flood and then saying "but don't worry, we've got you a table at Nandos instead. Thanks for the cash."

We all know it's not NCL's fault that weather intervenes occasionally but we can pull them up on not providing as best alternative as is possible rather than the bare minimum.

The bare minimum would be a 7 day cruise to nowhere. :D It never ceases to amaze me that the same ones that want a super cheap cruise (during hurricane season) complain because the itinerary is changed due to a {{{GASP}}}} hurricane. Try reading your contract to see what it says once in a while. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info, Peg.

Wasii, I think your theory is correct!!

Not much to see there right now anyway.

~Robin

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

I might believe the conspiracy theory if Norwegian was controlling the webcam - which it is not.

The bare minimum would be a 7 day cruise to nowhere. :D It never ceases to amaze me that the same ones that want a super cheap cruise (during hurricane season) complain because the itinerary is changed due to a {{{GASP}}}} hurricane. Try reading your contract to see what it says once in a while. :rolleyes:

I would rather be on a cruise , any season, than sitting at home in PA

Watching the world go bye and be judgemental

I'm leaving Monday for a 10 day Bermuda Cruise on RCI's Vision of the Seas. If the have to divert for some reason and miss Bermuda I'll be sad but I don't feel that anyone should get any compensation. I case you haven't noticed this is the peak of storm season and the price of your cruise was much lower than if you sailed the same itinerary at other times of the year. All of you folks knew or should of known the risk yet still booked the cruise. Now stop whining please.

I would rather be on a cruise , any season, than sitting at home in PA

Watching the world go bye and be judgemental

Is someone making you sit at home in PA being judgmental! :confused: Such a shame when you could be cruising! :eek:

:confused::D:eek:

NCL are a service provider are they not? They rely on customers paying for their service and therefore, regardless of what the smallprint says, it might be in their interest to do more than only what they are contractually obliged to. That's all I'm saying and it's just my opinion. I do not once recall seeing the words 'This Is Hurricane Season' in NCLs brochure or website while booking (not super cheap at all actually) cruises over this period. If they did they then I'd have no argument. In fact I have no argument, I am just a little surprised that a company who rely on customer retention (Latitudes etc) weren't slightly more imaginative about their chosen alternative. No more than that.

Having been to Nassau and PC on Breakaway last year, I would (and maybe will in a few weeks time) be feeling hard done by even if I had been 'contractually satisfied' so to speak.

NCL are a service provider are they not? They rely on customers paying for their service and therefore, regardless of what the smallprint says, it might be in their interest to do more than only what they are contractually obliged to. That's all I'm saying and it's just my opinion. I do not once recall seeing the words 'This Is Hurricane Season' in NCLs brochure or website while booking (not super cheap at all actually) cruises over this period. If they did they then I'd have no argument. In fact I have no argument, I am just a little surprised that a company who rely on customer retention (Latitudes etc) weren't slightly more imaginative about their chosen alternative. No more than that.

Having been to Nassau and PC on Breakaway last year, I would (and maybe will in a few weeks time) be feeling hard done by even if I had been 'contractually satisfied' so to speak.

Unless you have your head in the sand or under a rock ANYONE should know the summer months off the US coast and the Caribbean are Hurricane months.:roll eyes:

What would have been a good alternative?????

They have three.....sail NORTH or sail SOUTH or sail of the coast of NY in circles.

Stop beating a dead horse

Edited by Laszlo