Cruise Care doesn't cover airfare?

A very important distinction, thanks! Just trying to absorb this new information. I'm glad Linda alerted me on another thread.:)

Yes, it seems rather an important change in coverage. I'm surprised I missed the announcement by Royal.

Yes, as mentioned above, you had to have purchased the air before the June date to be covered.

I'm a bit confused! Some answers make it sound that if the airfare was purchase thru Choice Air that it is covered.

I'm a bit confused! Some answers make it sound that if the airfare was purchase thru Choice Air that it is covered.

Yes, I believe Patti mentioned that above. Cruise Care no longer covers independently booked air, but still covers air booked through Choice Air.

Do any of you realize Allianz is Cruise Care?

They are 2 entirely different companies.

Berkeley CruiseCare Insurance through RCI is underwritten by Stonebridge Casualty Insurance Company.

Allianz Insurance, a 3rd party insurance for all practical matters, is underwritten by Jefferson Insurance Company.

Edited by cruisenfever

Choice Air is definitely covered by Cruise Care. If you have to cancel your trip after final payment has been made and you have Choice Air that is included in your final payment, your air is covered.

If, however, you use Choice Air and purchase and pay for your tickets prior to final payment then your flights are not covered unless you have purchased and paid for your Cruise Care at that time.

When we book our flights through Choice Air, I chose to pay for them at the time of booking. Therefore, to be covered in case something happens that we have to cancel prior to final, like we did this past June, I had to purchase 3rd party insurance in February at the time I booked out air.

Probably best to call then. I believe someone posted earlier that the change occured June 1.

I just went back to the website, searched for CruiseCare, and now they have a Version 3 of their PDF posted, which now doesn't include the independent airfare :mad: (as of June 2). So there's 2 PDFs, one for before 6/2 and one for after, and neither looks the same as what I was given on 7/23.

I could almost understand if they provided outdated info just a few days after the change. But this was a month and a half later. And we bought this based on the old info they provided. That's what I get for trusting their website.:(

Choice Air is definitely covered by Cruise Care. If you have to cancel your trip after final payment has been made and you have Choice Air that is included in your final payment, your air is covered.

If, however, you use Choice Air and purchase and pay for your tickets prior to final payment then your flights are not covered unless you have purchased and paid for your Cruise Care at that time.

When we book our flights through Choice Air, I chose to pay for them at the time of booking. Therefore, to be covered in case something happens that we have to cancel prior to final, like we did this past June, I had to purchase 3rd party insurance in February at the time I booked out air.

Yet another caveat. Thanks, I will copy and paste this to my other information. :confused:

I just went back to the website, searched for CruiseCare, and now they have a Version 3 of their PDF posted, which now doesn't include the independent airfare :mad: (as of June 2). So there's 2 PDFs, one for before 6/2 and one for after, and neither looks the same as what I was given on 7/23.

I could almost understand if they provided outdated info just a few days after the change. But this was a month and a half later. And we bought this based on the old info they provided. That's what I get for trusting their website.:(

You can remove cruise care from your reservation anytime prior to final payment and book your own travel protection. Since you booked your cruise on 7/23, it appears your independent flight would not be not covered. Or, do as Patti does and add on the flight protection with another company.

You are correct, though, that this information is not made readily available to those of us utilizing their product, and it should be. Agents need to be briefed to explain the new (lack of) coverage, since they always ask if we want it. :confused: :confused: :eek:

Edited by travelgoddess1

I called Crown & Anchor at RCL this morning to ask about this change... Usually, we do not require taking planes to a cruise. But, we are for our Alaska cruise next July. We booked that cruise this past February.

Since we booked in February, we are 'Grandfathered' in to the old policy where all air fare is covered. :D Any cruises booked after June 2nd 2014 fall under the new policy (V3) where no air fare is covered. I specifically asked if flights through ChoiceAir would still be covered under the new policy. She told me "NO". No air fare at all will be covered under the new CruiseCare policy.

BTW, the payment for CruiseCare or booking air fare before June 2nd has nothing to do with it. The date of booking of the cruise is the deciding factor.

If anyone has concerns about this or wants to call RCL to confirm, in case the person I was talking to did not know what they were talking about, please do and post the confirmation of info.

Edited by edjny

I called Crown & Anchor at RCL this morning to ask about this change... Usually, we do not require taking planes to a cruise. But, we are for our Alaska cruise next July. We booked that cruise this past February.

Since we booked in February, we are 'Grandfathered' in to the old policy where all air fare is covered. :D Any cruises booked after June 2nd 2014 fall under the new policy (V3) where no air fare is covered. I specifically asked if flights through ChoiceAir would still be covered under the new policy. She told me "NO". No air fare at all will be covered under the new CruiseCare policy.

BTW, the payment for CruiseCare or booking air fare before June 2nd has nothing to do with it. The date of booking of the cruise is the deciding factor.

If anyone has concerns about this or wants to call RCL to confirm, in case the person I was talking to did not know what they were talking about, please do and post the confirmation of info.

Now my question is, I've taken out Cruise Care through RCI and have my air included in my Final Payment but have to cancel after final payment, will I be refunded the cost of my air fare?

I have asked our TA to check with RCI for us (and will post what she finds) but after reading the T&C documents posted on Royal's web site, I too believe it's the booking date not the payment date for Cruise Care or the air fare that determines whether or not the new policy applies.

edjny, thanks for sharing what C&A told you. As always, I personally do not think what they said is 100% accurate based on a plain reading of the website! UGH! Why does it have to be so confusing to pax and RCI staff alike?!

1. The first part I interpret differently is operative date. See http://www.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/vacationProtectionPlan.do

If you booked (reserved and deposited) before June 2:

V2 applies = all air (independent and Choice) is covered.

See the V2 plan: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/RCCruiseCare_V2.pdf

If you booked (reserved and deposited) on or after June 2, then your date of sailing is key:

-- If your sail date is before or on Dec 31, 2014, then V2 applies = all air (independent and Choice) is covered.

-- If your sail date is after Dec 31, 2014, then V3 applies = no independent air is covered.

2. The second part I interpret differently regards air coverage under V3. See the V3 plan: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/RCCruiseCare_V3.pdf

In my opinion, Choice air is covered under V3 because of this definition:

Cruise Vacation means a trip for which coverage has been elected and the plan payment paid, and all travel arrangements are arranged by Royal Caribbean International prior to the Scheduled Departure Date of the trip.

(If you compare the two policies, V2 contains the exact same definition PLUS a sentence expressly bringing independent air into the definition. Therefore, if RCI agrees Choice is covered under V2, then the argument is that the exact same description in V3 means Choice is covered in V3 as well. This makes the most sense as a business matter, too, i.e., if you buy the works from RCI, the works should be covered!)

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I use www.insuremytrip.com to buy insurance that covers both the airfare and cruise. Just group the cost together when getting your quote. It will usually be less than getting Cruisecare and then getting a separate policy just for airfare.

I just used them to insure a cruise next February.

I wanted to insure the trip for $4,400. I got a premium quote for that amount.

Since I haven't completed booking excursions yet, I wanted to see what the premium would be for $4,500. It was the same. In fact the premium did not increase until my insurance coverage went over $5,000.

Needless to say I purchased $5,000 worth of insurance to cover any additional expenses I might add to the $4,400.

I was told to call Berkley directly. They are the underwriter for Cruise Care. I received the policy by email. Coverage changes are onky effective for sailings after Jan 1. So, my airfare is included even if purchased separately not using Choice Air.

Sent from my SCH-R830C using Forums mobile app

Oh my! I booked our Norway cruise for August 2015 on June 1. I booked (but not paid yet, only the deposit) the cruise care after confirming independent air would be covered with the person on the line.

I did convert a next cruise certificate that I purchased onboard Allure in January 2014. When I looked at my cruise planner to see the date I booked, it shows the NCC date as the booking date. I had to go to my post on the roll call to see what date I actually booked. I wonder which date they use? I guess I should call when I get to the point of booking my airfare to confirm.

Oh my! I booked our Norway cruise for August 2015 on June 1. I booked (but not paid yet, only the deposit) the cruise care after confirming independent air would be covered with the person on the line.

I did convert a next cruise certificate that I purchased onboard Allure in January 2014. When I looked at my cruise planner to see the date I booked, it shows the NCC date as the booking date. I had to go to my post on the roll call to see what date I actually booked. I wonder which date they use? I guess I should call when I get to the point of booking my airfare to confirm.

When this question came up regarding another insurance issue (pre-existing conditions, if I remember correctly), it was determined that the date you actually booked the cruise is the important date, not the date of the NCC certificate.

I just used them to insure a cruise next February.

I wanted to insure the trip for $4,400. I got a premium quote for that amount.

Since I haven't completed booking excursions yet, I wanted to see what the premium would be for $4,500. It was the same. In fact the premium did not increase until my insurance coverage went over $5,000.

Needless to say I purchased $5,000 worth of insurance to cover any additional expenses I might add to the $4,400.

When purchasing cruise insurance, you do not have to include pre-booked excursions unless they are privately booked.

Anything booked through RCI will be reimbursed to you if you have to cancel after final payment.

The only dollar amount you have to insure is the cost of your cruise fare less port taxes and fees and any C&A discount.

I was told to call Berkley directly. They are the underwriter for Cruise Care. I received the policy by email. Coverage changes are onky effective for sailings after Jan 1. So, my airfare is included even if purchased separately not using Choice Air.

Sent from my SCH-R830C using Forums mobile app

Berkeley CruiseCare Insurance through RCI is underwritten by Stonebridge Casualty Insurance Company.

I called yesterday concerning the cruise that I booked Feb,2 2014 for a cruise sailing Feb. 6, 2015. I was told since I only paid the deposit and did not pay any additional money for the cruise care (that is on my invoice) that my independently booked air would not be covered. I was put on hold while the agent checked with another dept. so I am going to assume I do not have airfare covered.

This made me take a look at third party insurers, I have found the prices about the same, for much more coverage, in the medical and evacuation area.

Will independent air be covered or not?

Will Choice Air be covered or not?

Cruise booked Dec 31, 2013 so it's before June 2, 2014

However Sailing May 30,2015, so neither T & C apply.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/vacationProtectionPlan.do?cS=NAVBAR&pnav=1&snav=10

Click here to review CuiseCare terms, conditions and plan sponsors if you booked your cruise before June 2, 2014 and/or your cruise is departing on/before December 31, 2014.

Click here to review CuiseCare terms, conditions and plan sponsors if you booked your cruise on/after June 2, 2014 and you are sailing on/after January 1, 2015.

Edited by FLACRUISER99

I called yesterday concerning the cruise that I booked Feb,2 2014 for a cruise sailing Feb. 6, 2015. I was told since I only paid the deposit and did not pay any additional money for the cruise care (that is on my invoice) that my independently booked air would not be covered. I was put on hold while the agent checked with another dept. so I am going to assume I do not have airfare covered.

This made me take a look at third party insurers, I have found the prices about the same, for much more coverage, in the medical and evacuation area.

One of the reasons we've used 3rd party insurance is the medical and evacuation coverage. Cruise Care is $10,000 medical and $25,000 evacuation. With today's costs these limits seem very low. Especially evacuation if you're out of the US.

I also think what you were told about payment also applies to pre-exisiting conditions. If Cruise Care insurance is not paid for at time of booking pre-existing is not waived.

Since we're traveling more we now have an annual policy with Allianz. Before that we used Trip Insurance Store. Their website is very informative and their staff informed and helpful.

http://tripinsurancestore.com/travel-insurance-site-map/

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise