Why is it uncool to talk about pricing?

psychtobe

I don't think it is rude to discuss pricing while on the ship, as long as you aren't rubbing it in someone's face that you paid much less than they did. Without making the other person feel stupid....or yourself if you paid more, it is an opportunity to give or gain knowledge on how to pay less for future cruises. I myself learned about a specific website which in turn linked me to the TA that I have been using for the past 5 years, thanks to a conversation I had with a fellow cruiser while sitting by the pool. When I found out how much less they paid than I did, I was not upset, I wanted to know how I could do the same for future bookings. Thank you so much stanger whose name I do not remember....you have saved me a ton of $$$ :)

I'd LOVE to talk about pricing. I think I paid far too much for the cruise I recently booked. I know because I booked it a little late, but I was desperate to go on vacation! :) I booked direct with the cruise line no I got no frills or extras. I'd love to learn how to find better deals in the future.

How about a separate section on the forum to talk about pricing? That way those who are interested can talk and those who are not, do not need to read?

I will quibble (mildly) about you being "flexible." You have 3 RCI cruises booked which is actually just the opposite of true flexibility. There are many cruise lines out there in the Caribbean, and if you limit yourself to one (or even 2 ) cruise lines you actually sacrifice a lot of "flexibility" to get different itineraries and pricing. We sometimes will book a specific cruise line because the itinerary is a bit unique and fits our needs (we have a long upcoming transpacific cruise on HAL because we wanted to get to New Zealand) but when we look for a good price we compare several cruise lines including RCI, Celebrity, RCI, Princess, Azamara, etc. That immediately expands your options and can pay off in many ways.

Hank

Point taken! But just because they are booked, it does not mean we will not continue to look between now and final payment! We choose these three cruises for specific reasons (one is an 11 day, another goes to our favorites OSJ and Bermuda and the third because I wanted to turn 50 on Allure!). If we found a great price on a different line, we would have no problem making a change! We have cruised 5 lines so far and really liked them all! It seems we always find the lowest prices on NCL and RCI. Princess, Celebrity and certainly Disney, are always much higher. I use a price watcher website to follow cruises that have had price drops..maybe there is a better way?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Lauri

Edited by lah66

How would you get back to Boston from Quebec?

It isn't all that convenient.

I booked B2B ,second leg @ $599 PP Inside GTY .

That's the way to do it. :)

We sailed many times b-to-b, Boston to Montreal to Boston...... no airports/no planes. It's wonderful!!! :)

Enjoy.

I'd LOVE to talk about pricing. I think I paid far too much for the cruise I recently booked. I know because I booked it a little late, but I was desperate to go on vacation! :) I booked direct with the cruise line no I got no frills or extras. I'd love to learn how to find better deals in the future.

How about a separate section on the forum to talk about pricing? That way those who are interested can talk and those who are not, do not need to read?

I was thinking in the same line of thinking you were. I thought even if we could start a post, and inform ppl it's just for ppl who want to talk pricing. It's not for ppl to say, "I don't discuss pricing" and what they think is rude etc."

I was thinking in the same line of thinking you were. I thought even if we could start a post, and inform ppl it's just for ppl who want to talk pricing. It's not for ppl to say, "I don't discuss pricing" and what they think is rude etc."

There's a similar thread about pricing /deals in the Solo's thread but there's a catch - you can't really name travel agents that are offering the sales / deals, only the cruise lines that are doing it. Yes, there should be a separate thread just about pricing but I doubt it will last without getting erase by the moderators for the naming part. Which is a shame because that would help alot in saving money and/or getting better benefits; although it still wouldn't spare me from unwanted questions of how did someone like me paid for their cruise and how much it was while eating no less. lol.

We are actually very supportive of the CC policy of not naming specific TAs. Years ago, before the era of CC, some of us were active on the ole American Online Cruise forum and before that on Prodigy. They had no such rules and TAs were often trying to subtlety solicit business. In fact, I had a few actually call me at home. So CCs policy makes a lot of sense and also serves their own advertising policy.

As to this thread, we think it is more about the issue of pricing and whether it is appropriate to discuss the topic on cruises. Here on CC we do often talk about pricing, but couch it in very general terms. For example, I always recommend that cruisers shop around (among several reputable online Cruise Agencies) when they are planning to book a cruise. I will often explain how some Cruise Agencies will offer additional amenities (or, in some cases lower cruiser prices) then one can get by booking direct with a cruise line. But there is no need to mention specific agencies, and in fact, if one does shop around they might find a better agency then the one's we could recommend.

Hank

There's a similar thread about pricing /deals in the Solo's thread but there's a catch - you can't really name travel agents that are offering the sales / deals, only the cruise lines that are doing it. Yes, there should be a separate thread just about pricing but I doubt it will last without getting erase by the moderators for the naming part. Which is a shame because that would help alot in saving money and/or getting better benefits; although it still wouldn't spare me from unwanted questions of how did someone like me paid for their cruise and how much it was while eating no less. lol.

Thank you for the info, I'll check it out:)

Look for sites that provide reverse auctions for cruises. This will allow you to connect with TAs that have a "deal" available. You usually need to have a specific cruise in mind, so these revere sites are not a good place for general shopping. But when shopping for specific cruises, I have found them to be great resources.

because someone will be unhappy.

If they hear everyone or even someone paid less than them, depending upon their personality/nature it could gnaw at them and could make them enjoy their cruise less.

Not to mention, there are braggards everwhere in life and who is to say what someone ways they paid is the truth. :rolleyes: There is nothing good, imo, that can come from people discussing what they are paying. I never do and never will and if anyone starts such a discussion with me, i excuse myself and leave, if possible.

excellent

Edited by Donray

It's not cool to speak about how much you paid, just as it is not cool to talk about how many days you have sailed, the loyalty program status you have achieved or the cabin category that you sail in - as many view it as little more than shameless self promotion and boasting. Many find it to be ill-mannered and offensive.

"Without promotion, something terrible happens......nothing!" PT Barnum

It's not cool to speak about how much you paid, just as it is not cool to talk about how many days you have sailed, the loyalty program status you have achieved or the cabin category that you sail in - as many view it as little more than shameless self promotion and boasting. Many find it to be ill-mannered and offensive.

Wow, this news is going to come as a shock to a LOT of posters on CC! (P.S. I agree with you...)

I agree that this can become boorish while on cruises. But here on CC we do often like to know one's experience when they are making recommendations. If somebody tells me that a particular cruise line is lousy, and they have only cruised on that line one time (and it was 20 years ago) we might take their comment more lightly then one who has cruised on that ship 50 days in the past year. What you might find ill-mannered others might think is just a way to establish credibility.

Hank

We never discuss the price of a cruise while we are on it. Absolutely no point.

Even if someone asks, and this sometimes occurs, we give somewhat of an evasive answer.

We do discuss with others prior to booking and post cruise when comparing fares in general. Our experience is that there are some TA's who very much like to keep their clients in the dark when it comes to pricing and obc's

I agree that this can become boorish while on cruises. But here on CC we do often like to know one's experience when they are making recommendations. If somebody tells me that a particular cruise line is lousy, and they have only cruised on that line one time (and it was 20 years ago) we might take their comment more lightly then one who has cruised on that ship 50 days in the past year. What you might find ill-mannered others might think is just a way to establish credibility.

Hank

This is a point I had not thought of -- you are right. (Assuming we have good reason to believe they are telling the truth about their experience...)

I suppose what I have reacted to on CC are the times when someone seems to throw their "credibilty" in others' faces, as a way of dismissing opposing views and establishing their own opinion as the only valid one. Or when posters take every opportunity to mention their elite status, relevant to the discussion or not. These times remind me of Frasier Crane, when he finds a way to mention his alma mater, Harvard, in any possible context. :p

And of course, a side issue but valid -- reviews should be recent to be useful. I realized this not too long ago, and I have stopped giving my opinions about ships and lines I have not been on recently, except to mention that it was my past experience and that things have undoubtedly changed. I don't know why I had not thought about this much earlier -- now I am much more conscious about finding out how long ago someone took the cruise they are expressing their opinion about.

Prior to reading this forum we had no idea whatsoever about the sorts of reductions possible if we booked late and were flexible. It was thanks to previous posters who provided the direction and the savings and/or upgrades that they had realized by doing so. Plus the best timeframes during a cruising season to watch for price reductions. As they say...who knew?

Same with getting OBC's from TA's. First heard about it here.....now we never leave home without one!

Since retiring, this is now our usual practice for booking cruises. It fits in well with our travel style.

Edited by iancal

Hank

I am glad that it establishes credibility for you. It doesn't for me. When someone tells me that a particular cruise was poor, I always ask for examples. I want the details so I can determine whether those issues would also be issues for me. Whether someone has 1 cruise or 200 cruises under their belt, if they are describing a cruise in broad generalities, I simply discard the comments. I have found that unfortunately, experience and loyalty can sometimes bias a person's perception.

I cruise very last minute .

I have gotten some of the worst cabins on the ship this way .

BUT my PCC knows I'm a sucker for a $299pp 7 day cruise . :o

I can't stay home at that price .

Totally Agree

Last week Carnival Conquest was $189.00 pp for a 7 night cruise.

Went on the NCL Epic in April for $250.00 for a 7 night cruise.

Just got off the Carnival Liberty for $269.00 for 8 night cruise

It cost me more to stay home!!!

Totally Agree

Last week Carnival Conquest was $189.00 pp for a 7 night cruise.

Went on the NCL Epic in April for $250.00 for a 7 night cruise.

Just got off the Carnival Liberty for $269.00 for 8 night cruise

It cost me more to stay home!!!

If you can leave in four days the 6 day on the Breeze is $199pp for interior and $299pp for a balcony. I wish I had the vacation time.

I get it that we can't talk specific TAs. I also hear you get better pricing from online agents. I guess I've been burned too many times, but I'm nervous booking through an online agent. How do I know I'm dealing with a reputable TA and not some fly-by-nught that will take my $$$ and give me nothing but a broken heart?

I get it that we can't talk specific TAs. I also hear you get better pricing from online agents. I guess I've been burned too many times, but I'm nervous booking through an online agent. How do I know I'm dealing with a reputable TA and not some fly-by-nught that will take my $$$ and give me nothing but a broken heart?

Go to BBB and check them out; use the big reverse bid website as they vet the TAs they allow to compete to sell you a cruise; and search the TA's name along with review, rate and complaint.

I am glad that it establishes credibility for you. It doesn't for me. When someone tells me that a particular cruise was poor, I always ask for examples. I want the details so I can determine whether those issues would also be issues for me. Whether someone has 1 cruise or 200 cruises under their belt, if they are describing a cruise in broad generalities, I simply discard the comments. I have found that unfortunately, experience and loyalty can sometimes bias a person's perception.

Totally agree with you :). Experience is only one factor and one needs to consider many other factors when evaluating opinions (it is the same on Trip Advisor). We only pay attention to specifics when folks do a cruise review or have comments about a particular line or ship. For example, we could say that on 2 of 4 of our most recent HAL cruises we had major problems with the HVAC in our cabin (it was too darn hot). This does not mean that all cabins on those ships will have the same problem. But when we see many similar comments about a specific line or ship we do pay attention. DW always laughs at the reviews when somebody trashes a cruise line because either the seas were rough or the weather was lousy. But you do see those kind of comments.

Hank

I have felt what you are expressing. When we booked our first cruise, we used a local brick and mortar TA. But even though we were newbies and pretty uninformed, we didn't feel that we got anything special from this TA in terms of knowledge or service. By the time our second cruise came around, 3 years later, our local TA had closed up shop, as so many have. So I had to find an alternative. In the intervening years, I had learned a tremendous amount of info from CC, and felt I knew enough to book my own cruise. I had been consistently researching cruise prices on one website, so I took the plunge and booked through them. Though I suppose I was a little nervous about it at first, I had no problems whatsoever. And I began to realize that lots and lots of folks book through online agencies, and I presumed most had good experiences -- I had never actually heard of anyone who had had a bad experience.

For our third cruise, we booked through the cruise line, but I didn't feel I got anything special in terms of service from them, either. For our fourth, I shopped around and found a different online agency who offered a great OBC. I even went to the online agency I had previously used and asked them if they would match this OBC -- but they said they couldn't. So I took a chance and booked with this unfamiliar agency. I had some tense moments because the very nice OBC did not show up on my account with the cruise line when I registered for the cruise -- the online agency said the OBC would show up on my account on board. I have to say that I was nervous the whole time because I just did not know if I could trust that I would ever see that OBC. But when I got on the ship, there it was on our account; everything went just as the agency said it would. So I am becoming more comfortable with booking through whatever agency will give me the best deal.

All that being said, I still long for a great TA with whom I can have a consistent and personal realtionship and whom I can fully trust to get me the best deal possible. I haven't found that person yet, but I am still searching. Though I understand the reason why CC posters can't help with this, I certainly wish they could!