Why is it uncool to talk about pricing?

psychtobe

I say it is fair game to talk of price. However, I hear 'naked' numbers tossed out for the price of a cruise without context of what that includes. Even the cruise lines play this game a bit. The cruise will have a price.*

*port fees and taxes extra

** fuel surcharge may apply

*** price valid if paid in full by _________

Details matter. Once a ship has a NON-refundable deposit, it has the money to spend and plan with. Those clients will seldom bail. Their are 100s of factors of timing on payment, cabin choice, and included extra which come into play to say the 'price' of a cruise. Sometimes an OBC is non-refundable and only good for one thing like shorex or such. Frankly, if you strip these all away, many a cruise would sound like a good deal. However, for my budget I need the full price.

So no, I am fine with giving and hearing prices but I need to know what exactly that includes when said. And to echo others, they need to be said here as once on the ship, it is too late.

My 3 cents Canadian,

M

I suspect, as others have said, that a lot of that is nothing more that a lie. Some people need to feed their own egos by claiming that because of their superior intellect, shrewd bargaining skills, and masterful fact-finding, they got a MUCH lower price than the rest of us commoners.

Oh my! You are in denial. We have previously posted some real examples, but no longer think that is generally the way to go here. Folks can choose to believe and do as they please, and as long as everyone is happy then all is good :) And it really has little to do with "bargaining skills" but more a simple matter of just shopping around. But just to solve your curiosity, on our next cruise (in a few weeks) we were able to get an OBC from a cruise agency equal to 8% of the total cruise cost (which is in excess of $10,000). That OBC (nearly $1000) would not be available if we had booked with the cruise line or many other agencies. I am sure some other agencies would go a little higher (10% is probably possible) if one wanted to do enough shopping.. We also get an OBC from the cruise line (this is available through most agencies) plus another OBC of $250 for a stockholder credit. So we are talking about more then $1400 in OBCs (like cash in the bank) on a single booking. Others on our cruise will do better, but most will not have anything near that amount of OBC.

And on that particular cruise there were 3 major price drops since we booked, which we were able to obtain with a simple e-mail. Those repricings saved us about $10,000 over the original booking. Most on our cruise will have also taken advantage of the price drops, but there will be some very trusting souls who will have had no clue. In most cases, price drops require a cruiser to assertively request the lower price...and we have met many who just do not bother.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Oh my! You are in denial. We have previously posted some real examples, but no longer think that is generally the way to go here. Folks can choose to believe and do as they please, and as long as everyone is happy then all is good :) And it really has little to do with "bargaining skills" but more a simple matter of just shopping around.

Hank

Keep it in context, Hank. I'm not dissing on one doing their homework to get the best price.

What I DO think is tacky is when people want to play the "I got a better fare than you did" game. It's all about context. ;)

I don't mind people talking about pricing here on this forum, especially if it's done in time that others can take advantage of a sale while it's still going on.

However, it's rude to talk about pricing once you're on the ship. This can hurt feelings, if, say you got a great deal and your tablemates paid rack rate.

I'll go with this answer. There was a member here who posted what she and her family paid for a different, yet similar cabin as ours on the same cruise (same sail date). She had gotten that price because of a WOW sale and the 3,4,5 pax sail free (well, port taxes only). I was kind of upset that my TA hadn't jumped on the sale and promo, that I had to push her to call RCI, but that's another story. In any case, I emailed my TA at midnight on the night I had read this other person's post. Knowing that supply and demand has a huge effect on pricing, I wasn't expecting the same proportional pricing as the other person received. However, my TA emailed me the next morning and said she had called RCI and got the WOW sale and additional pax sail free promo applied. So as it turned out, our cruise price came in $700 lower than our original booking, and found out that RCI had also included a $100 OBC, so overall a net reduction of $800. I feel extremely happy with the price we're getting now, as I was a little apprehensive when we first booked. So for the 5 of us, we're averaging $587 per person for a Royal Promenade Family stateroom for a 7 day cruise - this is cruise fare and all port fees/taxes, etc.

I have also since priced out the most comparable (if you even want to call it that) Carnival cruise on the Sunshine Destiny disaster from Port Canaveral. The Carny cruise would end up costing roughly $100more than our current pricing. That said, on the Sunshine Destiny mess, that would be for a standard inside cabin, and about $400 more for a standard oceanview (which is now not really a direct comparison). At least on FOS, we have a 300 sq ft cabin with a tub (we have a current 1 year old - 17 months old at sailing time), and our other kids will be 10 and 8 at sailing time, so too young to put in a separate cabin. Would much rather have the larger cabin with a view of the Royal Promenade and the bunk beds, over a standard 185 sg ft Carny inside with a view of nothing. We had thought about an OV on Carny, but would still be extremely tight with 4 plus a pack and play.

At any rate, I found it very beneficial that the other poster had posted actual pricing and how she got it. Would I discuss pricing while onboard? Heck no, unless it was with this person that posted the helpful information. But I would never strike up a conversation with "so how much did you pay?"

Keep it in context, Hank. I'm not dissing on one doing their homework to get the best price.

What I DO think is tacky is when people want to play the "I got a better fare than you did" game. It's all about context. ;)

Guess I mis understood your meaning. We do agree with what you say about "fare boasting." In fact, we never talk about what we pay for cruises (when on a cruise) unless somebody specifically asks..and even then we often try to change the subject.

Hank

Thanks for all the additional, thoughtful replies.

I used to play the frequent flyer game. It was always a contest to see how cheaply one could fly from Point A to Point B (and in that game, adding many intermediate destinations to up the miles was part of the fun). So $600 Seattle-Minneapolis-Los Angeles-Detroit-London-Detroit-Seattle for something like 15,000 miles, then doubled due to a promo, done three times earned one highest level Northwest Airlines elite for $1800. *price mattered*. And on those planes, filled with FlyerTalkers doing the same thing, we were eager to talk price. No, we *demanded* to talk price! Price was the whole point - all the fun was in getting a cheap price!

A cruise is different because the cruise itself is the destination (though for Flyertalkers, the flight itself is also the destination. In the flight above I was in London for less than 2 hours before returning home). Let's not ruin anyone's vacation on the cruise, I get it. And no, don't come up to me and ask, "I spent $500 for this cruise, how much did you spend?" That said, if the topic of price *happens* to come up I promise I will *not* be offended and would happily learn how to get the best possible deals for future cruises. Especially on the forums, as opposed to on board.

Edited by psychtobe

...When booking a long or/and expensive cruise I will sometimes call 2 or 3 of my favorite agencies, tell them that we are going to book a certain cruise in the next few days, and make it clear that our business will go to which ever agency offers us the best deal. This technique once saved us thousands of dollars on a single long HAL cruise.

Hank

I absolutely agree with your approach and I have found it beneficial to carry it a step further. I actually book the cruise directly with the cruise line, usually while on a previous cruise or at least using some form of Future Cruise Credit or payment. This way I can choose my cabin or cabin category and get the benefit of some OBC from booking the cruise. Then I take the booking number and go to several TAs to get their best prices.

This way I get the advantage of whatever booking benefits the cruise line offers and the TAs I contact know I'm serious about the cruise because I'm already booked. They also know they don't need to spend any appreciable time with me talking about the cruise as I'm already committed. And all it will take from me is one phone call to get the booking switched over to their agency.

I've found this technique seems to get me the best prices I've been able to find.

Scott & Karen

Actually, I'm an Australian keen to talk "price drops". I find that there is lots of conversation on these boards about receiving significant price reductions, and I'd love to know how to go about doing it for myself. So I'd encourage a discussion of prices and how to obtain discounts knowing full well that the 15 day Princess Panama Canal crossing we have booked for April is costing us a fortune in AUD.

After reading all the above postings,I still think it all comes down to TAs. A really good one will always either give a lower price or extra rewards. And a good one will be upfront about the total price.

I have had quotes from some who seem to be cheaper because they omit non commisioned charges . Be sure to get the full price on any quotes. A really good travel agent will also get to know your tastes and will call you when they see a cruise you might be interested in.

Hank was right about OBcs and other perks. These should all be factored in to the total price. Some cruise lines allow combining OBCs and that can cut the total cost down. So if i pay $1000 pp and get $600 in usable perks, I am still better off than someone who pays $500 pp total.

And then there is the airfare to get to the pier or whatever transportation you use. With hotels and meals. There is just too much that goes into the total coast.It is almost impossible to really compare with others. So don't even try.

I suspect, as others have said, that a lot of that is nothing more that a lie. Some people need to feed their own egos by claiming that because of their superior intellect, shrewd bargaining skills, and masterful fact-finding, they got a MUCH lower price than the rest of us commoners.

Bingo! Why else bring up the subject after everyone is on board and it is too late to do anything about this particular voyage? (Wow! I've spoken to 10 people today and every single one paid way more than us! We smart! They stupid!)

Actually, I'm an Australian keen to talk "price drops". I find that there is lots of conversation on these boards about receiving significant price reductions, and I'd love to know how to go about doing it for myself. So I'd encourage a discussion of prices and how to obtain discounts knowing full well that the 15 day Princess Panama Canal crossing we have booked for April is costing us a fortune in AUD.

Aussie Aussie Aussie!

We have a very good Aussie friend who cruises over 150 days a year, mostly on HAL. With that particular cruise line, he is not permitted to use North American cruise/travel agents (not sure which other cruise lines follow this same policy). HAL requires Aussies to book in Australia, usually at much higher prices. So our friend has established a Canadian address (he has friends that live in Ontario) that he uses for booking purposes. Thus, he is able to get the lower North American prices.

Hank

I've seen some posters allude to it being poor etiquette to discuss cruise pricing. Is that really true? Why?

I'm not an experienced cruiser so when I start shopping I have no idea what is a 'good' price. Further cruise pricing is far less transparent than, for instance, airfare or hotel pricing. It seems some people have 'secret TAs' and 'special promos' and so it becomes very difficult to know when to pull the trigger.

So we're cruising this holiday and feel we got a very good/fair price, but don't know. And when we buy our next cruise, how will we know then?

do you discuss your salary with random people? same thing.

everyone has a price ceiling they are willing to pay. the only person who can decide if what you get for what you pay is a 'good' price is YOU.

what I am willing to spend on my cruises, I have no count others would consider too much.. and this factors isn similar economic standing.

it does no good to try and keep up with the Jones or to feel like you got gypped if you find out someone else paid $100 less during a special sale or that their TA gave them an extra 50 in on board credit. figure out what YOU can live with and go from there

I don't feel comfortable talking about how much/little I spend on cruises...or anything else. It's no one's business but my own.

On one cruise I took as a solo, another solo passenger, an older woman, kept pursuing the question with me about how much I spent for my cruise. I got the feeling that she wanted to feel reassured that she'd gotten a good deal.

Finally after the third time she cornered me with a question of how much I'd paid, I told her. She wasn't at all happy. I mean, she REALLY wasn't happy. I won't let that happen again. But sometimes people can be very persistent. Why keep asking the question when someone clearly doesn't want to answer it?

"Talking about pricing" can mean two very different things - one perfectly reasonable, the other a poor idea. Trying to get, or share, information about a CONTEMPLATED future cruise is just being an intelligent shopper or generously sharing possibly valuable information.

Once the decision has been made and the cruise purchased, it is a bad idea for a couple of reasons. Anyone eho has purchased a cruise and then compares prices with others will be unhappy when he finds that someone else has gotten a much better deal. He would probably have been happy with his choice otherwise ---- he would not have purchased it if it did not seem a good deal to him - the only change would be learning that someone else paid less - what good does that knowledge do him?

If he finds out that others have paid a lot more he might feel satisfied - but what difference would that knowledge make to his enjoyment of his cruise - unless, of course, he is one of those sorry people who somehow feel happier if they know others have less than they?

Because, with all the different prices, perks, levels of accommodations, on board credits, etc. it is very likely that of any pair, one will have gotten a better deal than the other - that means one will feel he has somehow "won" and the other will feel that he has " lost".

Ordinarily, with two people you might think that there are even odds - but actually, given human nature, there is reasonable likelihood that at least one of the two will be lying about how good a deal he got - meaning that there is a greater chance of feeling gypped if you share information about fares - and even if you did really get a better deal, the happiness you feel would be the petty sort based on someone else's unhappiness.

It is not cool, or smart, or in good taste to discuss actual prices paid - period.

Seems some people are just less comfortable than others with cold, hard facts. Me, I prefer them, good or bad. If I 'overpay' for a cruise - meaning more than the going rate - dang it I want to know. Right now. So I will be a wiser consumer next time around. And that doesn't mean I won't be happy with my purchase decision this time around.

For instance I used to fly first class all the time for the price of coach. In those days, so did 90% of first class travelers. How? Didn't people want to know? (answer: yes. That is how Flyertalk came to be.)

When I run a 10k, if I don't come in first (which I don't), do I get sour? get really upset? Of course not. I look at my time. I look at other times. If I didn't perform as hoped for I try to understand why, to do better next time around. Same in my professional work - if I don't do as well as a coworker, I want to know how/why so I can improve. Same with airline pricing. Same with hotel bookings. Same with safari packages. Same with all consumer products, except, apparently for some, cruise pricing. Which is taboo in case someone's feelings get hurt!

It does seem from above that I am not alone. I reiterate that if you cruise with me, and you discover you paid less than me, then please let me know how! Tell me about your golden TA, your elite upgrades, your sale pricing for booking on a previous cruise, your promotions, your early booking pricing, your package pricing, your secret to cheap transfers, where you parked your vehicle for 14 days, how to save 15% with a specialty dining package, how to get a free drink with the captain, how to get an upgrade to a nicer cabin. My feelings will not be hurt. I will be impressed, and envious, in a good way!

After reading all the above postings,I still think it all comes down to TAs. A really good one will always either give a lower price or extra rewards. And a good one will be upfront about the total price.

I have had quotes from some who seem to be cheaper because they omit non commisioned charges . Be sure to get the full price on any quotes. A really good travel agent will also get to know your tastes and will call you when they see a cruise you might be interested in.

Hank was right about OBcs and other perks. These should all be factored in to the total price. Some cruise lines allow combining OBCs and that can cut the total cost down. So if i pay $1000 pp and get $600 in usable perks, I am still better off than someone who pays $500 pp total.

And then there is the airfare to get to the pier or whatever transportation you use. With hotels and meals. There is just too much that goes into the total coast.It is almost impossible to really compare with others. So don't even try.

So very. True

I couldn't agree more

Also think there are some people who are never happy and try search for the elusive happiness they will never have

Because deep inside are always looking at the wrong side of the coin

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Absolutely possible. It could also be that people aren't setting out to be dishonest, but they aren't giving full information. For example, it could be that they incorrectly give the cruise price . . . but don't realize it doesn't include taxes or other fees.

On most ships if you ask 10 passengers in the same cabin category what they paid for their cruise, you will receive 10 very different answers. About half of them will be true.

Every cruise I receive more than a dozen complaints from passengers who spoke with fellow cruisers about what they paid for the cruise. These "wronged" people tell me their cruise was ruined when they discovered they paid more than their fellow cruisers.

I am guessing that about half of these people are being truthful.

Regardless of that, why would anyone want to ruin someone else's cruise by talking prices?

Only once did I ever do that. A few years ago my wife and I had no intention of going on another cruise that year, but, we got a terrific last minute pricing deal on a Caribbean cruise. So we booked it. We had opted for anytime dining and towards the end of the cruise we were seated with some people who started talking about their great cruise deal and how the one guy did all this research and got their cabins for such a wonderful price and he was a cruise shopping genius. This went on for the entire meal. Towards the end of the meal I finally just said to my wife (loud enough for all to hear) "I guess we shouldn't tell them what we paid". Well they had to know. When we told them that we got a balcony cabin for quite a bit less than their obstructed window view cabins you should have seen the dropped jaws across from us. Too funny after listening to that guy brag through the whole meal.

Of course we didn't mention that we paid an exorbitant amount for airfare because we had to book that so close the flying dates.:cool: Things tend to even out in the end.........

And I for one would love to have known how much you saved by booking last minute.

I don't begrudge anyone else their savings. I am in the unfortunate position of having kids in school now, so all our vacations are at peak travel (very expensive) times. I know I never paid the least in the room. I can live with that. But someday, I'll be traveling sans enfants and I will be on the lookout for last minute deals - or any deal I can find.

And I for one would love to have known how much you saved by booking last minute.

I don't remember off hand, but, it was substantial otherwise we wouldn't have booked it. It was enough of a savings that even with the airfare hit we still were happy about it.

Just an FYI, for us, these savings opportunities have been few and far between.

Edited by ar1950

I don't begrudge anyone else their savings. I am in the unfortunate position of having kids in school now, so all our vacations are at peak travel (very expensive) times. I know I never paid the least in the room. I can live with that. But someday, I'll be traveling sans enfants and I will be on the lookout for last minute deals - or any deal I can find.

My last 7 day Bermuda cruise I booked a day and a half before sailing .

We paid $299pp for an inside GTY cabin.

With port fees and tax plus medical evac. ins the total for the two of us we $1040 .

There we also a daily service charge of $12 a day each =$168

Plus $116 for parking in Boston .

We also bring an envelope of small bills for tipping . (discretionary )

I hope this helps . :)

P.S, the next week inside cabin were double the price at $599pp

Edited by biker@sea

For my upcoming cruise, I booked it while onboard to get reduced deposit and a $300 OBC from the cruise line. Then I shopped it around to a few TA's - one local TA was horrified that I would expect some kind of benefit to give him my $10,000 booking - needless to say he did not get it.:rolleyes: I ended up getting a very nice OBC from a reputable online TA who happy to get the business and it was a simple process to transfer from the cruise line to the agent.

What I DO think is tacky is when people want to play the "I got a better fare than you did" game.

Yes.......Basically, I think that people only want to discuss pricing when they're boasting (whether they admit it to themselves or not). Discuss ways to shop around, discuss ways to bargain for a good price, even discuss ways to get added value for the buck - those are all good ideas. Discussing the actual price is playing games to boost one's ego.

Let's try it this way. I'm doing 14 nights celebrity eclipse departing December 21 from Miami so southern Caribbean and including holidays. What would you think is an average, good, or great price? We have a balcony cabin, double occupancy.

Biker@sea, nice. That's about what I would predict, something like half or two thirds the going rate for a last minute sailing.