"LIVE" from the VISION of the SEAS With Trainman-2 & Judith

Jim, am I assuming correctly that there was no charge for Judith's tea & somthin" last night in Chops and the other night in Giovanni's?

Sounds like that was some taxi ride!:) Glad you're both able to have a good time now that Judith is feeling better.

Ellen

So glad that you hired a taxi and did a nice tour. Now you have seen the best of Bermuda!

And glad Judith is hungry again. Seems as if she hasn't been eating enough to keep a bird alive the last few days.

Can't wait to see your pics from today.

Jim, am I assuming correctly that there was no charge for Judith's tea & somthin" last night in Chops and the other night in Giovanni's?

Sounds like that was some taxi ride!:) Glad you're both able to have a good time now that Judith is feeling better.

Ellen

YES! Both Giovanni's and Chops waived Judith's fee. They all felt bad that she didn't feel like eating and did the best they could to please her.

The Taxi ride was fantastic! It was about $100 more that two tickets offered by RCI for 8 in a van/taxi for less time and going where the driver wanted to go instead of where we wanted to go.

The taxi driver was fantastic. There was a "traffic Officer" right at the pier and I asked her how we could get a taxi for a private tour. She took her radio and called one over and told us it would be $50/hour. I confirmed the rate with the driver when he arrived a few minutes later.

We started out from right next to the ship and he dropped us off right at the entrance to the building where the security folks are. Here is his contact info. He was both knowledgeable and fun.

Dennis B Furbert

denbfur@hotmail.com

(441) 334-7421

"Furby"

The taxi driver was fantastic. There was a "traffic Officer" right at the pier and I asked her how we could get a taxi for a private tour. She took her radio and called one over and told us it would be $50/hour. I confirmed the rate with the driver when he arrived a few minutes later.

We started out from right next to the ship and he dropped us off right at the entrance to the building where the security folks are. Here is his contact info. He was both knowledgeable and fun.

Dennis B Furbert

denbfur@hotmail.com

(441) 334-7421

"Furby"

Sounds like a great time and glad Judith is better have a great rest of the night thank you for your live cruise love it

sent from my galaxy s4 please excuse any error's thanks

We stopped at a gigantic Lighthouse which had a small, but well stocked, souvenir shop with the biggest selection of refrigerator magnets I have ever seen.

DSCN0621_zps1a8476b4.jpg

DSCN0624_zpsd359ef0f.jpg

DSCN0626_zpsc188a2fe.jpg

DSCN0628_zpsa4d9cc83.jpg

DSCN0630_zps088828a9.jpg

DSCN0634_zps0d46b5c6.jpg

For a small fee you could climb to the top via only 183 steps. We declined the opportunity!

We stopped at a gigantic Lighthouse which had a small, but well stocked, souvenir shop with the biggest selection of refrigerator magnets I have ever seen.

DSCN0621_zps1a8476b4.jpg

For a small fee you could climb to the top via only 183 steps. We declined the opportunity!

That is Gibb's Hill Lighthouse and the views from up there are spectacular.

We learned a lot about Bermuda today:

- There are three main roads usually referred to as the north, middle, and south but they all don't go from one end of the islands to the other.

- The roads are narrow, hilly, and twisty

- They drive on the "wrong" side of the road.

- Gas is selling for just over $9/gallon

- The main trees on the islands are Cedar

- The drivers are much better than Caribbean drivers and more polite.

We learned a lot about Bermuda today:

- There are three main roads usually referred to as the north, middle, and south but they all don't go from one end of the islands to the other.

- The roads are narrow, hilly, and twisty

- They drive on the "wrong" side of the road.

- Gas is selling for just over $9/gallon

- The main trees on the islands are Cedar

- The drivers are much better than Caribbean drivers and more polite.

9 dollars a gallon wow....

sent from my galaxy s4 please excuse any error's thanks

Trainman! Great to see your live review here on this somewhat unusual itinerary! I'm sorry to hear Judith isn't tip top, but I see you are enjoying your usual selection of artery clogging meals at the WJ, you must have the constitution of an Ox- if I ate that way I would have died 10 years ago...all my fathers uncles did ;)

Don't feel bad about discussing your "activities"; even as a non smoker happy with the changes, hearing you tell the tale from your point of view, with limited mobility and needing to "dress" to go somewhere both first thing and last thing at night, it really makes me more empathetic about how the balcony smoking prohibition really has affected some cruisers experience. I can see why you took a break from sailing Royal after the change. I think the one thing we could all have more of in this "debate" is empathy :D

Anyway, hoping Judith is right as rain soon, and that you enjoy the rest of your cruise!

More unsolicited advice: I agree with the meclizine but also see if she can chew slowly on a granny smith apple. And, have her sit on the balcony and stare at the horizon.

I hope she gets over it soon.

More advice: Don't drink orange juice or anything with citrus. Have Judith try some crackers or a plain roll. As others have said try the green apple. Hope she is feeling better - seasick is not fun

Edited by psupa

Here are two photos of the morning coffee area on the pool deck.

DSCN0319_zps6c1f0c50.jpg

DSCN0318_zps5cbcbcc6.jpg

Judith and I agree that the morning coffee is terrible!

We just got back from the Explorer and all I can say is it must be fleet wide because the coffee was terrible:(. I usually fill the cup about 3/4 and dilute with some hot water

Theresa

We just got back from the Explorer and all I can say is it must be fleet wide because the coffee was terrible:(. I usually fill the cup about 3/4 and dilute with some hot water

Theresa

I dilute my coffee too. I think that the "terribleness" is that it is really too strong!

A Visit to Fort Scaur

Judith and I are both amateur historians and I particularly love muzzle loading artillery so our first stop yesterday was at Fort Scaur.

DSCN0591_zps0e3e596d.jpg

DSCN0594_zpsce280a39.jpg

The view from the Fort

DSCN0595_zps6492bf85.jpg

DSCN0596_zps586ec050.jpg

This structure was the "final defensive Position" where the troops could retreat to if the fort was about to be over run by the enemy. Note the firing slits so that the troops could shoot out at the enemy.

DSCN0590_zps0f6eefea.jpg

A Visit to Fort Scaur, Continued

Dennis, our driver, told us that normally most of the underground structures were open to the public and he had no clue why some were still locked.

DSCN0593_zps94addf21.jpg

DSCN0592_zps31251f42.jpg

The fort was designed to be "invisible" from ships in the harbor. Lots of trees had been planted to hide it without interfering with the ability of the main cannon to fire.

DSCN0602_zpsa1de15d3.jpg

Part of the "ditch" carved into the solid rock of the island, designed to stop foot soldiers from crossing.

DSCN0597_zps3bdb0e0f.jpg

A Visit to Fort Scaur, Continued

The Fort had two big guns, both were 64 Pound Rifled Guns.

DSCN0598_zps28be878e.jpg

DSCN0600_zps1b35b88b.jpg

DSCN0605_zpsa0a05620.jpg

This type of gun mount was commonly called a "disappearing" mount because the recoil of firing the gun would move ti down and to the rear where it locked in place. the crew could then re-load the gun while safely below the edge of the fort and away from enemy rifle or artillery fire.

DSCN0606_zps52484dd4.jpg

Here is a photo of one of the 64 pound projectiles. The "lugs" sticking up from the side of it fit into groves inside of the cannon barrel. This caused the projectile to spin, like a football, in flight which greatly improved its accuracy.

DSCN0607_zps2958da4d.jpg

The World's Smallest Draw Bridge - 18"

DSCN0609_zpsbcf72a48.jpg

DSCN0611_zps4cc3ff3d.jpg

It is for small sail boats and it manually operated. Several guys will grab onto the mast from up on the road way and guide it through the 18" wide opening.

It is also a great place for the local fishermen.

DSCN0610_zpsa800cf5e.jpg

The water was very clear and we could see schools of fish swimming where the fishermen were dangling their hooks.

DSCN0612_zps9f6506df.jpg

DSCN0613_zps311a4850.jpg