Flowers, Chocolates, Qtips missing Oh My..

waterlizard

I will take beautiful ships, good service and food and good itineraries over a little chocolate on the pillow, a flower or cotton balls. I can bring my own chocolate and cotton. Sure they were nice "little" touches but not going to make me jump overboard and react like the sky is falling.

I agree totally! Give me a beautiful ship, good service and excellent food and we are happy. As for the rest of it, we don't eat the chocolates, use the Q tips, we bring our own. As for the flowers, in Concierge our experience has been then don't change them out all that often so don't bother. We have a wonderful time anyway. We leave for our next cruise on Celebrity in less than two months. Can't wait to be on the Constellation once again. :)

The list of changes over the last year is much larger.

Ok there is no longer a bowl of fruit but you get an apple but some people don't like fruit so it does not bother them.

The activities staff has been cut in half but some people don't do activities so it does not bother them.

The flowers seem to have gone missing, but some people don't notice flowers and it doesn't bother them.

The Celebrity orchestra has been reduced in size and on some routes been removed entirely, but some people like canned music better anyways.

There are fewer opportunities to dance but some people don't like to dance and it does not bother them.

The Acappela singers are gone but some don't like them anyways.

Park West has returned and on many voyages occupy the Sky Lounge so passengers can't sit up there during the auctions but some don't enjoy the view up there anyways.

There is no longer food at the Captain's Club Celebration, just a few aperitifs.

The Grand Buffet is gone but some don't eat anyways.

On one of our early cruises (about 13 years ago)' date=' we took our sons to Alaska. The whole ship experience blew them away.

In the main dining room, the food was presently artfully on the plate.

Also Missing: Showtime for desserts

Crepe suzettes and cherries jubilee made where we we can see

March of the baked alaska

Celebrity mints

Truffles with champagne first formal night..[/quote']

Geez, when I see all the stuff that has changed and/or been cut it really makes me so sad. I absolutely loved those truffles on the first formal night. We still miss music in the MDR on formal night and I did not know they cut the Celebrity Orchestra. How cheap can they be?!

Sent from my Nexus 7

It is funny, some like the good old days of cruising on Celebrity and some like the new more modern cruising on Celebrity. It is just a personal opinion. No one is saying that either is right or either is wrong, just that we have personal opinion.

When I cruise, I look at the cruise as an experience and to be honest having to bring my own q-tips or having to ask for more fruit or picking it up at the buffet or not having a flower in my cabin, really has no bearing on how successful I think the cruise was. I've been on bare bones expedition ships to luxury liners on Crystal and everything in between and I've never judged a cruise by q-tips or flowers, etc. I have always judge the cruise by what I've seen, what I've learned, who I've met and in some cases how it has changed me. But that is me, to others q-tips or cotton balls might be a real big issue, which is fine and hopefully they are letting the cruise line know their feelings, just as I am.

I think the botton line is, that some things are important to some people and are not to others and we all have to understand that. No one is trying to ruin any one's cruise by saying they don't care if some of the things are going away or are gone, it is just that it is not as important to them as it is to those that really, really miss them and everyone should be able to voice their likes and dislikes. If we all like the same things, it would be a really boring world.

I like the direction Celebrity is going. I'd rather have q-tips and cotton balls in an individual package, instead of bulk in the cabin. I'd rather have a few apples, instead of having the fruit that was in the rooms previously spoil and being wasted. I went to the grand buffet on my last cruise and vowed never to do it again; people pushed, picked up food with their hands and a woman at my table started yelling at another because she mistakenly took her seat. I always hated the baked Alaska routine, as well as singing Old Lang Syne. Now just because I don't or won't miss these things is a personal opinion and that is all it is, it has no bearing on anyone else but me.

And I certainly hope that the stockholders are grinning, because if they weren't, Celebrity might be in a lot of trouble. What makes the stock prices go up, is keeping the ships full and the profits up, something every business strives for and I can't understand why some just don't understand that Celebrity is just like every other business.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Good thing I like watching the ocean, sipping a drink and reading a book while the Polar Vortex envelops the land. But I do notice.

The stockholders have a grin a mile wide because every cut makes the stock price go up and people don't notice the cuts anyways.

As both a stockholder, AND a big fan of cruising with Celebrity, it's exceedingly frustrating to see penny wise/pound foolish decisions being made. Your examples, and many others, WILL NO DOUBT cut expenses, which WILL be noticeable in next QUARTER'S financial report.

Decreased customer satisfaction that results in decreased bookings (especially among "big spenders") with resultant decreased profits in the long term, are conveniently ignored, and left for those pathetic individuals who are foolish enough to worry about next YEAR'S financial report. :rolleyes:

Politicians seem to define "long term" as two YEARS. MBAs seem to define "long term" as two QUARTERS.

Unfortunately, most of the PUBLIC defines "long term" as two episodes.

Edited by teecee60

There are plenty of things that I don't particularly care about but it's not just about me. If everyone takes the attitude that I don't care if they cut anything unless it's something I like, it won't take long until the experience won't be good for anyone.

There's a fine line when trying to make cuts and still provide a Modern Luxury experience.

Well said. I would like to see the replies from the Elites and Elite+ members if they did away with the loyalty program. Those perks cost money. Maybe they are cutting the chocolate, toiletries and the list of other things to support that program. In which case wouldn't bother me or many others because we are not at that level and won't be their for a long time if we even make it at all. So yes while these cuts are tiny now how long will it be before we start cooking our own meals. Oh, wait a minute they already have us doing that at the Lawn Club.

I think it's about expectation - whether or not people are bothered about details is of course entirely their right, and I am sure different 'details' would bother different people (for the record neither chocolates nor q tips bother me, though my grandchildren will miss the chocolates and I will miss the flowers; certainly not enough to spoil our cruise though) - however if there is an expectation, generally created by past experience, that certain elements will be provided, then it can be disappointing or inconvenient when they are not.

We always sail ex UK and take a virtual drugstore with us, so the change in amenities will not make the slightest difference; we always preferred to bring our own, however, if someone expects to find the same toiletries that have always been there previously, and have not subsequently brought their own supply, it will be a disappointment - likewise if anyone (does the person exist?) who looked forward to that pillow chocolate thought it would be there, their expectations won't be met. I think it reasonable for people to expect to receive what they have done before unless they are told otherwise, and given that there have been so many changes, albeit in their own right very minor, I think this information should be more widely available - so thank the OP for flagging it up.

I work in a completely different industry; we generally keep our clients very happy, but the one area we still fail in sometimes is when they are given false expectation of what they can expect from the outset.

Ironically, as I ate very little at them, I shall miss the gala buffets, and if we ate in MDR would also miss the often unintentionally hilarious baked alaska procession. Not sure hpw I feel about the rose, as I'm afraid I can't remember if I received them previously (and yes, we are CC members), but find the CC hosts very erratic in terms of attentiveness. Will this stop us booking with Celebrity? Not if other standards are maintained, but on our last cruise a year ago I noticed a big difference in the quality of bathroom tissue and hand towels (fabric ones were often not available) which may sound petty but led to a lot of waste in terms of hand towels as I was using twice as many to get my hands dry and avoid them being chapped (I shan't comment on the toilet paper!), we were also very disappointed by the drop in quality of service in Murano's, but that could have been just bad luck and will easily be remedied by sticking to Blu next time.

Our next cruise isn't until October 2015 though as a potential home move has led to no holiday this year. Having paid considerably more for 11 nights than we have paid in the past for 14, which have been earlier in the season and equivalent or better grade cabin (or SS), notwithstanding the 'free drinks' (we used to buy premium non alcoholic package which suited us fine and still came out less for 2 weeks in total), I hope we will come away feeling as satisfied with the experience and overall value for money as we have done on all our previous X cruises (quite a few since 2006 when we first cruised).

Unfortunately things change. I used to pay $.30 a gallon for gas and have someone pump it and wash my windshield and check my oil. Now, at $3.50 a gallon we get squat. Yes, I enjoyed the chocolates but it will not make me change cruise lines as I still get more with Celebrity.

Things could be worse, we pay nearly $10 a gallon for gas in the UK! :)

Well said. I would like to see the replies from the Elites and Elite+ members if they did away with the loyalty program. Those perks cost money. Maybe they are cutting the chocolate, toiletries and the list of other things to support that program.
Now that is a thought. I wonder if folks would have an issue if they reduced the Captain's Club perks and brought back some of the things that are missed by some. Edited by NLH Arizona

Now that is a thought. I wonder if folks would have an issue if they reduced the Captain's Club perks and brought back some of the things that are missed by some.[/

That's a great idea. They could reduce them for all the people who don't care about missing anything. I would imagine they wouldn't miss those either.

Edited by Ma Bell

Don't use the robes either as I'm always afraid someone wore it before me, hung it back nicely and the cabin attendant thought it had not been used.:eek:.

I wouldn't worry about the robes, as on several cruises we did without them on the first day or two. Why? Because they hadn't come back from the laundry. Now, about those sheets...:p

That's a great idea. They could reduce them for all the people who don't care about missing anything. I would imagine they wouldn't miss those either.

You don't miss any of the Celebrity Elite benefits nor the recently deleted items when you sail on other lines such as Norwegian or Carnival.

Why should Celebrity passengers have the things that they can't have when they're onboard competing lines.

Well said. I would like to see the replies from the Elites and Elite+ members if they did away with the loyalty program. Those perks cost money..

I can answer that one. Mr. and Mrs. Bosox who have spent a small fortune over the years in becoming Elite+ would bid a fond farewell to Celebrity and shift to one of the other lines which haven't cut our Elite benefits. :D

Those benefits are not given out of the goodness of X's heart, we all should recognize. They are provided to keep pace with the competition.

Now, if there were collusion among the cruise lines and all of them eliminated their benefits, that would be upsetting. I might have to stay home, which is my favorite place on earth :p or find new vacation spots on land. No problem there.

I wonder if a lot of what some people notice is inconsistent service rather than a change in policy. So far, Celebrity has only confirmed the No Nightly Chocolate on Pillow - Replaced by the formal night chocolate Oreo policy. I just got off a Iceland Norwegian Fjords cruise on Eclipse in July. We are Elite, but sailed in a regular Veranda cabin that cruise. We had Q-tips and cotton balls. Wife doesn't use them and brings her own. We did have chocolates on the pillow, but it was always just plain milk chocolate. The wife used to like the dark chocolate and flavored varieties. Oh well. That's the past. We got flowers a few days into the cruise. Not sure if that's tied to CC status or cabin class. We're in Aqua next year, so we'll see. The wife likes the flowers. I want them to bring foie gras back to the specialty restaurants

I'm not saying that they were previously used but you can't usually just get one cotton ball out at a time, you get a bunch and have to put some back ugh. And do you use tweezers to get just one Qtip so you don't touch the others? I am not a germaphobe but as far as hotel/cruise toiletries I prefer things individually wrapped/bottled. Maybe not everyone is as carefull and conscientious as you and having that stuff in open containers turns me off.

I'm going to have to agree with you. I'm not a germaphobe either, but the fact of the matter is that not everyone washes hands as often as they should. There *are* people in the world who are very unsanitary or just have nasty habits.

Case in point? Stopped off at Target to stock up on mini's for an upcoming trip. Among them was a small pot of Vaseline for my lips on my TA flight. Got home to realize that it had been used. Used apparently more than once. (I say this because there was more than one finger line in it) AND PUT BACK IN WITH THE OTHERS.

I'm sorry, but that's just freaking disgusting!

Now, some may argue that no one would use a qtip or cotton ball and put it back- but if there are people who would think nothing of dipping their fingers into a pot of vaseline and applying it lord knows wherever, you have to wonder what else they do in their cabins. And those same people are touching elevator buttons, railings, serving handles at the buffet, etc. And like the person I'm responding to said- you often will touch the others trying to get one out. It isn't that we think they've used it and put it back- its the idea that you have NO idea whether the person before you was as hygienic as we'd like when they reached into the container in the first place.

I really miss the good old days of 2013. Really folks, can we stop suggesting the current changes are with items that left a decade ago? The items in the OP's thread were available in April 2014, the good old days.

And cruisenuts list was mostly available in 2013 I believe.

Beth, our butler told us that the ice buckets were removed because of cross contamination. I think that is so they don't start a noro virus on board. I agree that it seems silly not to put free water in suites as it is free to aqua guests I solved that problem by having the beverage package. I get a big bottle of water at one of the bars on my way back to my room.

Pat

Her is a tip for water if you have the Beverage Package, use the ones in your fridge and replace them from the bars, I drink quite a lot of water so would always get one whenever I was returning to the cabin,

Just an aside cabins used to be called Staterooms now that's a really

big CUT, where did they all go to and when did they change them I didn't even notice :D:cool:

I really miss the good old days of 2013. Really folks, can we stop suggesting the current changes are with items that left a decade ago? The items in the OP's thread were available in April 2014, the good old days.

And cruisenuts list was mostly available in 2013 I believe.

Other than the chocolate, we haven't gotten any word on why the other things were dropped have we? I will miss the flowers and chocolate.

Well said. I would like to see the replies from the Elites and Elite+ members if they did away with the loyalty program. Those perks cost money.

Hint: take a peek at the Azamara board.

It ain't pretty.

Does Celebrity not charge a higher price than NCL or Carnival for instance? If so, what can you expect for your premium? The OP who has apparently sailed on an unreal number of Celebrity cruises expects the niceties that he/she had come to expect and didn't get for not only their premium but for their loyalty as well.

I think it perfectly reasonable to complain if those were things that made cruising with Celebrity special to them.

Reading this entire thread has led me to believe the world is coming to an end because Celebrity no longer stocks generic Q-tips and cotton balls in the cabins. To those who feel these are important then I would suggest moving on to a high-end line. I just want a beautiful ship, great service, view of the ocean and interesting ports. I bring my own non-generic personal items.

I think it perfectly reasonable to complain if those were things that made cruising with Celebrity special to them.

I agree, just as it is perfectly reasonable for those that aren't upset with the loss of these items to voice their opinion as well.

Edited by NLH Arizona

I bring my own non-generic personal items.

To Carnival ships based on your recent history...

Of course one would not notice the recent changes unless one has a tradition of sailing on Celebrity ships.

Although Carnival and Norwegian provides their own benefits for people who regularly cruise on those lines, most Celebrity cruisers expect a little more from one that advertises that one has a great cruise rather than a good cruise. "That's Modern Luxury" after all.

ScreenShot2014-09-07at13710PM.png

To Carnival ships based on your recent history...

Of course one would not notice the recent changes unless one has a tradition of sailing on Celebrity ships.

Although Carnival and Norwegian provides their own benefits for people who regularly cruise on those lines, most Celebrity cruisers expect a little more from one that advertises that one has a great cruise rather than a good cruise. "That's Modern Luxury" after all.

I started cruising Crystal Cruises in the mid 90's (after trying a few different lines) and if I would have had that attitude, I would have never tried Celebrity, since it is a preimum line and Crystal is a luxury line, with much better food, services, smaller ships, more luxury, etc. But I tried Celebrity and even though the experience was different than Crystal, I put into my mix with Crystal, so that I could take more cruises (Celebrity is much less expensive than Crystal, so I could take 2 or 3 cruises a year instead of 1 or 2). I've cruised enough on Celebrity to be Elite after my next cruise. Since my retirement, I also added NCL into the mix, so I could take even more cruises and use my affiliation with Harrah's Casino for some really sweet deals (my November 11 day Caribbean cruise with fare, taxes and port charges is $770 in a penthouse suite - NCL has fantastic suite benefits, plus great specialy restaurants). Are the experiences alike on all three, by no means, but I would never assume that someone who cruises on NCL or Carnival or any other line dosen't know what Modern Luxury is, just as I would never assume that those that cruise on Celebrity instead of Crystal wouldn't know what luxury is.

I could care less what cruise lines someone has been on or how many cruises they have been on, if they have cruised on 1 Celebrity cruise, they have the right to express their opinion on the things they like and dislike (like not caring if there are cotton balls, q-tips, chocolates, flowers, etc. in their cabin), so IMHO Celebrity, who reads these threads, can see how ALL OF THEIR CUSTOMERS feel that are members on here.

Edited by NLH Arizona