Dining room dress

grtsmom

Here we go. :D

The "official" guidelines are here:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/whatToKnow/whatToPack.do

In practice some people follow the guidelines, some don't. You'll see everything from T shirts to tuxedos. They're definitely not strictly enforced. You'll find much less formal dress than 10 years ago I'm sure. Use your own judgement.

Edit: Of course Bob beats me to it haha.

Edited by BamaGuy44

Here we go. :D

The "official" guidelines are here:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/whatToKnow/whatToPack.do

In practice some people follow the guidelines, some don't. You'll see everything from T shirts to tuxedos. They're definitely not strictly enforced. You'll find much less formal dress than 10 years ago I'm sure. Use your own judgement.

Edit: Of course Bob beats me to it haha.

Here we go was my thinking also.

In the Blue corner the formal dressers and in the Red corner the shorts and casual dressers let the contest begin LOL:D

Edited by BARNET

Just back. Do what your party wants to do. You will see Tux to T shirts, Diamonds to denim. We wore nice shorts & Hawaiian style shirts with sandals, then long sleaves on formal night but no jackets or gowns in our luggage.

Hide liquor disembarking. Texas is charging duty! And on smokes if you do..

OP,

It is universally known that casual but neat is acceptable attire on any night, but you could dress more formally if you'd like. RCL doesn't care so long as you bring your wallet.

Since the concept of formal night is gradually being phased out by the fare-paying public anyway, those who are holding to the "tux and gown" standard are just delaying the inevitable. But to each his own.

Have a great time.

OP,

It is universally known that casual but neat is acceptable attire on any night, but you could dress more formally if you'd like. RCL doesn't care so long as you bring your wallet.

Since the concept of formal night is gradually being phased out by the fare-paying public anyway, those who are holding to the "tux and gown" standard are just delaying the inevitable. But to each his own.

Have a great time.

So true above. Like it or not ...the "tux & gown" thing is no longer the way most dress on formal nights on RCCL ships.

LuLu

Here we go was my thinking also.

In the Blue corner the formal dressers and in the Red corner the shorts and casual dressers let the contest begin LOL:D

To be fair, the last dress code thread was started way back 1 week ago.

So this new one is just in time for the weekend...

Depends on where you are from. If from England or their posessions, then anything less than a tux and gown is considered uncivilized. If you're from Oklahoma, then overalls and halter tops are considered formal. If you're from anywhere else, then a nice shirt/trousers and maybe a sport coat and a dress is fine. All depends on what you feel OK with and how dressy you want to get.;)

Depends on where you are from. If from England or their posessions, then anything less than a tux and gown is considered uncivilized. If you're from Oklahoma, then overalls and halter tops are considered formal. If you're from anywhere else, then a nice shirt/trousers and maybe a sport coat and a dress is fine. All depends on what you feel OK with and how dressy you want to get.;)

All good points. But I would think the "overalls and halter tops" are the exception, not the rule. But I wouldn't care either way.

We were on the Freedom and Formal nights everyone was relatively dressed up but few tuxes, gowns. On casual nights half of the men were in khaki shorts. M hubby counted cause I said if he got up to 10 he could wear them the next night - he got up to 20 before we were seated:p

It's been several years since we have sailed on RCCL. Seriously, are shorts REALLY allowed in the dining room for men and women? I would never have believed it if I hadn't read it on here. May change the way we pack for our next cruise on the Jewel.

It's been several years since we have sailed on RCCL. Seriously, are shorts REALLY allowed in the dining room for men and women? I would never have believed it if I hadn't read it on here. May change the way we pack for our next cruise on the Jewel.

Royal says shorts are not allowed, but does not enforce anything.

I'm actually reading the OP's question as more general in regards to what to wear in the dining room.

I just wear what I would normally wear to a nice restaurant on land for nights other than formal.

Formal nights are dressy tops and jackets for me, since I don't like wearing long formal dresses.

My husband wears collared shirts to dinner most nights, and tropical shirts in darker, more subdued, prints. These are worn with dark, tan, or grey slacks.

Formal nights he wears a dark jacket and slacks with a shirt and tie. Some cruises where we aren't extending the vacation on land and don't have to be concerned about luggage weight as much, he takes his tux.

Edited by pcur

Agree with most of the previous posts that the dress code is trending more casual on all nights with little enforcement by RCCL. However, as you roam the ship on formal nites around the dinner times, you will notice a higher level of dress by most people which makes for a very nice atmosphere on those few evenings. That will not exist on the QOTS as the new dining system is introduced.

• 2 weeks later...