Bear cam

geocruiser

I could not believe it when I found it. I have never seen anything like it.

There are lots and lots of WEB animal cameras. Do a WEB search on "animal camera", "bear camera", eagle camera", puffin camera", etc., etc., etc.

Do you get the idea.

DON

There are lots and lots of WEB animal cameras. Do a WEB search on "animal camera", "bear camera", eagle camera", puffin camera", etc., etc., etc.

Do you get the idea.

DON

I have done lots of web animal cams searches. there are a lot of great ones out there. I was happy when I found this one last year.

• 3 months later...

For those of you who watch the cam, it is sad what happens sometines in nature. A mother bear has two culbs and one looks like it may not make it. It is on the cam now. The mother has been trying to take care of it the best she can.

http://explore.org/live-cams/player/river-watch-brown-bear-salmon-cams

For those of you who watch the cam, it is sad what happens sometines in nature. A mother bear has two culbs and one looks like it may not make it. It is on the cam now. The mother has been trying to take care of it the best she can.

http://explore.org/live-cams/player/river-watch-brown-bear-salmon-cams

I hope you do not mind my giving a Warning to the Boards, but after taking heat for the Orca Cams during 1 particular "Sail By", I think this warning needs to be posted. Do not want you going through it.

WARNING!!! This Web Cam over the next day or so should be bypassed if you do not want to see nature at its rawest. It is heart breaking and unless you have the wherewithal to watching, please avoid going to the url that geocruiser has provided.

IF you want to see what now has thousands of everyday people, biologists and other experts in their fields watching this extremely rare occurrence (viewing live) in nature, then go to the url and watch as a sow and healthy cub maintain their vigil over a sick or injured cub. This vigil has been ongoing since 3:30pm Alaska Time on 21 October 2015.

Joanie

I have posted warnings in the past. I received nasty, targeted criticism about those warnings from one specific poster, both here on CC and elsewhere. I find it interesting but not surprising that my critic is now posting a warning. I live in the wilderness, I see what goes on. There is a reason that every time a wildlife cam is posted on this board, I warn people about what they may see. If you watch wildlife cams, you might just see the harshest parts of nature.

One cam is sad, yes, but look at the other and you see an amazing mum looking after four cubs. I wonder if they are all hers, or if she has adopted two. They all seem to be doing well.

They are all hers. That is Brooke. She is the bear that kicked her son, now #503 out a year early. He is the same bear that was adopted by SUPERMOM Holly aka Bear #435:)

She does seem to be doing so much better with being a mom this year:)

Joanie

They are all hers. That is Brooke. She is the bear that kicked her son, now #503 out a year early. He is the same bear that was adopted by SUPERMOM Holly aka Bear #435:)

She does seem to be doing so much better with being a mom this year:)

Joanie

Wow! I didn't know bears could do that! She must have been taking fertility drugs.:D

I have to confess that I have been fascinated by the sow's dedication to her vigil. I am not prone to anthropomorphising but this certainly invokes empathy and awe, sad as it is.

For anyone looking for an update, the Mom and sibling seemed to know it was time, left the cub and the cub died shortly after at 7:38 pm Alaska time.

For anyone looking for an update, the Mom and sibling seemed to know it was time, left the cub and the cub died shortly after at 7:38 pm Alaska time.

It is dark there now, so I can't see the cam. During the course of this the mom had let the cub several time to fish. Did she came back at all after its passing?

I found watch animal behavior amazing. The way she was ready to defend her cub. Another mom and cubs walked the sick cub and its mother got up and stood over her, her legs on either side of the cub. The other club behavior was also much subdued.

For several years prior to & following our Alaska trip, I tuned into several bear cams every day.. Haven't done it in a while.. But did it again today & love it.. Thanks for posting this..

I'm sad today only because the Fish & Wildlife service has authorized a black bear hunting season beginning today in Florida.. They are trying to thin down the black bear population by 10% here in Florida.. Each permit holder is permitted to kill one bear until the population has been thinned out ..:mad: Apparently it was done only because in some areas bears are getting into garbage cans, which are not bear proof..

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-florida-bear-hunt-begins-20151024-story.html

I don't understand why humans can't learn to live with these magnificent animals instead of thinning the population out..If they can learn to live with bears in Alaska, why not here.. IMO they should insist that we humans have bear proof garbage cans..

Thanks for letting me rant...In the meantime I'll enjoy the Alaska bear cams../SIZE]

Edited by serendipity1499

The Rangers have taken the cub's body away to find the cause of death.

451 and male cub returned to "Angel's Corner" about 45 minutes ago. They are now resting on the opposite side of the road.

She is not reacting as a normal mother bear does when she thinks her cub is lost, running around and crying for her cub. Instead she is just laying there patiently, just as she did when Angel was there.

018438717.jpg.4b42b44daacfc3cd303d1a96011e4fca.jpg

Joanie

From what I read on the th board (bear cam) this is the second cub that she lost in three weeks. I hope the last one doesn't get ill.

It was way longer than three weeks ago when the other cub disappeared. And we are all hoping that the remaining cub stays healthy and strong. Same for 451. I hope she puts on a tad more weight before they go into hibernation.

It was way longer than three weeks ago when the other cub disappeared. And we are all hoping that the remaining cub stays healthy and strong. Same for 451. I hope she puts on a tad more weight before they go into hibernation.

Thank for the right info. Like you I hope they both put some weight on before the winter sleep.

There is video of the other cub somewhere around October 10th, and I am pretty sure we have seen about two weeks ago.

There is video of the other cub somewhere around October 10th, and I am pretty sure we have seen about two weeks ago.

Lizzie68 is correct about 451's 1st cub.

After almost 3 hours of searching You Tube and Explore.org's Archives, I found the video she referenced. I remembered seeing it also, so knew she was 100% correct.

I cannot find the Ranger Comment about the 1st cub gone missing this past week. BUT, the Ranger did say that they did not know what had happened to the 1st missing cub. It could have just gotten separated from mother and siblings, met with an injury or attacked by another larger bear. They just do not know. What they do know is that ALL 3 Cubs were with #451 until this past week.

Here is the Video taken on 7 October 2015 of 451 and her 3 cubs:

POSTED BY: jbirdyhome Published on Oct 7, 2015

Bear 451 and her cubs relax on the sandy spit. A quiet time before the bears leave us and trek up to the mountains to den for the winter. We always hope that she will return with all three cubs next season or that the cubs survive and are emancipated and begin life on their own.

Here is the Video "jbirdyhome" posted on 7 October 2015 of 451 and her 3 cubs:

Joanie

Edited by IRL_Joanie