Why Discounts For EMT/Police/Fire ? ... and not ....

F27TW

They are there it is pretty much the luck of the draw. Had a military rate on our last cruise (Allure) and have one for our next five cruises. New Years on Serenade is offering a very nice $695 military discount on E1's.

Edited by looking4info

I have gotten the police discount once on a Norweigan Cruise. Think it was $50 pp. It was interesting though, I booked through a travel website that showed the discount, called Norweigan to see if they matched it and they said they don't offer a police discount. So, don't know if was a Norweigan discount or that specific website.

Is it fair. maybe, maybe not. There's plenty of people with dangerous/high stress/important jobs. Is it fair when they offer a resident discount to someone in Florida and not Ohio?? Same kinda thing. Mostly think they pick specific groups that they think it "looks good" to offer discounts too, like seniors, like military, and like police/fire. No complaints here, but like others have said, it's only certain offers on certain sailings and you have to catch it at the right time. Chance of getting one isn't good.

• 4 months later...
Police and Fire Dept ... OH yes .. no question ... and they should ...

but I'm just curious ... EMTs qualify for a discount but not hospital staff? Why ?

My guess is because they want extra emergency personnel on board in case they need them. But other people's idea that it's a public relations stunt on ROyal Caribbean's part is probably true, it sounds good to offer first responders a special discount, but it sounds like they don't really offer it anyway. I tried to get a couple firefighter/EMT friends to join me for a cruise and told them there was a discount and it turned out to be non-existent. They were quoted the same price I paid.

Like others stated, the difference is first responders (police, fire, EMT's) are the first out there in an emergency and putting their lives at risk which is why you see don't the discount offered to hospital personnel.

I've been a volunteer EMT for 13 years and I have see the occasional EMT discount pop up for my state when I am playing around with ghost bookings. Again, these discounts are hit & miss and sometimes only offered to certain states. Who knows the rhyme or reasoning behind when they are offered but I do appreciate that they recognize the risky job that first responders do (and yes, even as an EMT, I've been in several high risk calls over the years.)

I very happy some of you have been able to get these discounts. I have done 23 cruises on Royal and never was able to receive the law enforcement or military discount. Now that I am retired for the past several years, I have not been able those discounts plus the over 55 discount. But I was lucky enough to get a discount for living in New York, once!

Part of the problem is that we cruise in suites that are not normally discounted.

On our recent cruise on the Freedom my son was able to obtain the military discount for his cabin. I know he appreciated it, but he does not expect a discount for his service!

I personally would like to see a discount given to the immediate family member survivors of those who died in the line of service.

As stated I have yet to ever see a discount even though it is "offered".. I would like to hear if anyone has actually gotten the discount and what state it was,etc.

I recently booked the Oasis for Oct. 15 and received an Alabama resident discount of about $700.00 for DW and myself.

Military, Police, Fire and EMS - First Responders

Hospital staff - First Recievers

The "powers - that - be" (corporate boards) elected to market to the ones who go into harm's way.

Plus, by and large, the First Responders are compensated way below the First Recievers ...

Military, Police, Fire and EMS - First Responders

Hospital staff - First Recievers

The "powers - that - be" (corporate boards) elected to market to the ones who go into harm's way.

Plus, by and large, the First Responders are compensated way below the First Recievers ...

Amen!!!!

And in many areas of the country, some of us first responders are only volunteers and never earn a dime for what we gladly do!

I very happy some of you have been able to get these discounts. I have done 23 cruises on Royal and never was able to receive the law enforcement or military discount. Now that I am retired for the past several years, I have not been able those discounts plus the over 55 discount. But I was lucky enough to get a discount for living in New York, once!

Part of the problem is that we cruise in suites that are not normally discounted.

On our recent cruise on the Freedom my son was able to obtain the military discount for his cabin. I know he appreciated it, but he does not expect a discount for his service!

I personally would like to see a discount given to the immediate family member survivors of those who died in the line of service.

Do you book directly through the cruise line? We went on or first Cruise Dec. 2014 on Navigator of the Seas and got the law enforcement discount. I booked everything myself.

My hubby loved the cruise so much he booked another one while still onboard for January 2016, Allure of the Seas! The Wow sail was going on at that time.

When we got home I called and changed the booking for a week later to the Oasis of the Seas because of work schedules.

Long story short, I got the law enforcement discount again! Kept 300.00 onboard credit, My time dining and prepaid gratuities. Plus 200.00 ) less than original booking.

I have booked directly with Royal and have used a TA. As I,said no luck. These offers are not available on every cruise. I am glad you have been able to get the discounts.

I do check my booked cruises every week for changes, and I can say I have never seen a discount for suite above a JS.

I have booked directly with Royal and have used a TA. As I,said no luck. These offers are not available on every cruise. I am glad you have been able to get the discounts.

I do check my booked cruises every week for changes, and I can say I have never seen a discount for suite above a JS.

We had a balcony on the Oasis booked last year and saw the GS with Firefighter discount and 55+ discount dropped it by almost 3 thousand - we jumped on that very quickly.... it can happen...

That is another problem, my wife and I have no desire to cruise on the Oasis Class or Quantum Class. I have no desire to cruise on an aircraft carrier :D. That is why I was a ground pounder! The Freedom Class is big enough for us.

That is another problem, my wife and I have no desire to cruise on the Oasis Class or Quantum Class. I have no desire to cruise on an aircraft carrier :D. That is why I was a ground pounder! The Freedom Class is big enough for us.

Actually the Oasis is awesome - Allure also. We have been on the Radiance and Mariner. Loved them also.

Our Firefighter discount was on the Oasis and on the Radiance.

Keep checking - doesn't hurt.

We're still new to cruising, but our first Cruise w/discount was on Voyager class. I have a feeling that I'm going to like smaller ships myself, but my hubby has what I call "Big Ship Envy."

In Cozumel we were docked next to Allure of the seas. Hubby was in Awe.

You're correct. Very few select Cruises.

We're still new to cruising, but our first Cruise w/discount was on Voyager class. I have a feeling that I'm going to like smaller ships myself, but my hubby has what I call "Big Ship Envy."

In Cozumel we were docked next to Allure of the seas. Hubby was in Awe.

Bigger isn't always better.

It's not about who has the most dangerous jobs. It's about having people on board who will run TOWARDS the trouble, and assist, instead of running away from it. This is what first responders do every day - police, firefighters, EMTs and our military personnel.

When you say "hospital staff," that could include everyone from the E.R. docs to the person who works in the gift shop. How do you differentiate?

I had 17 years as an EMT, 8 as a firefighter and 2 as a dispatcher before I got sick in 2010. Despite being "disabled" for the last five years, I still automatically run towards the problem whenever one occurs.

Here is the the two big reasons...One, First responders get paid well in most locations. Two, they have flexible work schedules. Why, is the question. Why does it matter? AARP gets discounts. Past cruisers get discounts, AAA gets discounts, Airline employees get discounts. YOU see, there are many discounts to many people. I have checked all the boxes on cruiselines for prices and sometimes past cruisers received better than First responders. In the end, it just doesnt matter to most.

Firstly, here ARE the reasons.....

1) it is profitable, and

2) it is profitable

My husband is a Volunteer Fireman for over 50 years now. We have taken advantage of the discount twice. One time we got an upgrade from an interior to a balcony and last year we caught the discount on a B2B second part going to Bermuda after New England/Canada. We are from upstate NY and I discovered the discounts being offered by checking almost daily on the RCCI website.