booking After Final Payment

mcrcruiser

We are looking at booking after final payment in the future due to the rising cruise prices .Seems to us that there are many price drops following final payment;) . In the case of Celebrity it is 75 days before sailing & some other cruise lines 90 days before sailing .

Are you too thinking of booking after final payment ?

We do it on occasion when the cruise is not so important to us. If there's a decent cabin, great; if not, we just pass it up. But if the cruise is really something we want to take, we'll bite the bullet. If cabin selection is important to you, then the choice is really clear.

We are looking at booking after final payment in the future due to the rising cruise prices .Seems to us that there are many price drops following final payment;) . In the case of Celebrity it is 75 days before sailing & some other cruise lines 90 days before sailing .

Only once in 8 cruise have we book before final payment and it work out pretty good for us

You also must not get upset if the cruise you want goes up, or you do not get the room you want

We booked European cruise after final payment. I also checked Tuesday specials and when our sailing was listed in specials, we booked.

We've got concierge C3 on better price than obstructed veranda.

Keep in mind it's all supply/demand. If your sailing is in high demand, you may not get significant price reduction after the final payment...

If you are flexible in your travel and especially if the cruise you are considering is not the most popular, then you should consider it.

The past 2 years we have been on a 7 night Caribbean cruise in late January/early February in both years the price of the cruise continued to go up even after the final payment and within about month prior to the cruise, in both cases the cruise was "sold out".

Lately we have been suckered into.... I mean enticed into booking a Spring/summer cruise when one comes up on the Exciting deals after final payment. Lately Europe, but also Bermuda too which is a five hour drive to the port of depature for us.

We always book well in advance for our New Years into January time frame. Found that though they come up occasionally, they aren't as deeply discounted, and the airfares last minute can kill you

We have done this on our last 5 cruises. We always book inside cabins and there are never any perks associated with insides, so why book early? We have been booking anywhere from 42-56 days prior to sailing.

We booked flights for my spring break next year which would give us three options for cruises. Saved a lot of money on the airfare and hoping to get one of the three cruises for a lot less than they are now. This is the first time we've done this, so we'll have to see if it works out for us.

We booked flights for my spring break next year which would give us three options for cruises. Saved a lot of money on the airfare and hoping to get one of the three cruises for a lot less than they are now. This is the first time we've done this, so we'll have to see if it works out for us.

Now that is an interesting concept...

Booking the airfare first and then watching a variety of cruises that would coincide for a deal.

I wish you luck, and would love to hear the outcome... And how the fares for the 3 cruises performed over time (as no doubt you are documenting)

Cheers!

Did that once-- had Frequent Flyer miles, knew we wanted TA on the Constellation so booked air. Watched carefully as final payment passed. Finally saw a sale, and booked (we were on a cruise then). Should have waited another few weeks, but was able to upgrade to AQ without major payment.

Keep in mind that if you book after final payment you must pay in full. And then it is too late to transfer to a travel agent for OBC. So--when you see something you want, have your travel agent book it for you and get the OBC--- that's if you play the game that way.

I've done it several times, including yesterday when I booked a cruise for next month. Biggest thing, as some have mentioned, is making sure you can get decent air fare before committing. Had a great option on the cruise fare for a TA last spring, but the airfare would have tripled the cost.

It's absolutely a gamble regarding rooms, since most of the really great last minute fares are guarantees. But I haven't been disappointed yet. Have fun!

I'm thinking of booking a 7 day early Dec cruise after final payment while on board a ship. Would that qualify for the bev pkg and OB credit for booking on board and would that be better than just going thru my TA? Right now, I can get a good Senior discount price for a 1A, but no bev pkg.

Edited by Honeybearhollow

I'm always thinking about booking a last minute after final payment cruise. It's exciting that you have the chance to get a great deal, a great flight price and a wonderful cruise all at the same time. It has happened in unison for me.

But to make sure it really works, once you find a smoking last minute cruise I always make sure the flights are in line in price before I commit on the cruise.

Last minute cruises can be very rewarding and exciting. Always fun.

Edited by Shake

I'm always thinking about booking a last minute after final payment cruise. It's exciting that you have the chance to get a great deal, a great flight price and a wonderful cruise all at the same time. It has happened in unison for me.

But to make sure it really works, once you find a smoking last minute cruise I always make sure the flights are in line in price before I commit on the cruise.

Last minute cruises can be very rewarding and exciting. Always fun.

Agree COMPLETELY with Shake! ;)

Last fall's 15 night T/A on Reflection for $449pp was booked only 10 days before sailing, and I STILL got dirt cheap tickets to Rome through Choice Air. (I ALMOST felt guilty about the $250 OBC) :D

Next week's 23 night Century to Australia for $799pp with a return flight from Sydney (also through Choice Air) for only $619pp was yet ANOTHER steal! ($250 OBC on this one, too) :eek:

I have absolutely NO intention of ever booking early. :cool:

BUT you must have the flexibility to take advantage of these incredible opportunities in the last two months before sail away. :o

Edited by teecee60

I'm thinking of booking a 7 day early Dec cruise after final payment while on board a ship. Would that qualify for the bev pkg and OB credit for booking on board and would that be better than just going thru my TA? Right now, I can get a good Senior discount price for a 1A, but no bev pkg.

Believe if you book aboard, no matter when the cruise is you get the onboard offers / perks under the Newly announced Cruise Now pkg (including the 1 sub-category upgrade, Evergreen 123Go, OBC etc) **

** occasionally there are cruises where some elements are excluded... And that is stated in the Ts & Cs for those bookings (example: No Evergreen 123Go Bevvy Pkgs on TA or TP Cruises)

Celebrity Onboard Cruise Sales = http://www.celebrityonboardcruisesales.com/t&c.html

As for actual pricing... Well only you will be able to know what it is your TA is offering, and you can easily compare that to the current info on the Celebrity website

I would have a clear understanding of both offers before I 100% commit, so go on your cruise armed with the latest data / offer tht your Ta could give you... especially if you are after final payment date

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Keep in mind that if you book after final payment you must pay in full. And then it is too late to transfer to a travel agent for OBC. So--when you see something you want, have your travel agent book it for you and get the OBC--- that's if you play the game that way.

So, for example, if I were on board a ship today and booked passage on a cruise in October, I could not transfer it to my agent at the time of booking. Is that correct?

So, for example, if I were on board a ship today and booked passage on a cruise in October, I could not transfer it to my agent at the time of booking. Is that correct?

If you used a TA to book the current cruise you are on, the on board booking is automatically transferred over to them.

At least that's how it was when we booked on board in the past. We have not done it in 2 years.

If you want to go on a popular cruise, it will most likely sell out before final payment.

Examples: Around the Horn of South America or cruise out of Istanbul.

Also, airfare is a lot more at the last minute.

Not always true, either. Check out the Constellation Holy Land cruise from Istanbul October 25.

Inside Cabins $599

OV $799

Veranda $999

Concierge $1,099

Aqua $1,199

Suite $1,689 (special Captains club offer)

Airfare has not changed at all in the past 6 months on this cruise, at least not from LAX, dont know about other cities but assume it is similar.

I have also gotten phenomenal airfares in the last 2 months before sailing. Like FCO to JGK business on Lufthansa last December for $830 plus an additional $100 OBC for booking at that time. So sometimes it definitely pays to procrastinate.:D

Not always true, either. Check out the Constellation Holy Land cruise from Istanbul October 25.

Inside Cabins $599

OV $799

Veranda $999

Concierge $1,099

Aqua $1,199

Suite $1,689 (special Captains club offer)

Airfare has not changed at all in the past 6 months on this cruise, at least not from LAX, dont know about other cities but assume it is similar.

I have also gotten phenomenal airfares in the last 2 months before sailing. Like FCO to JGK business on Lufthansa last December for $830 plus an additional $100 OBC for booking at that time. So sometimes it definitely pays to procrastinate.:D

I think that low price has more to do with the itinerary, at this particular time of unrest, than sailing from Istanbul (same with Black Sea cruises) ;). October is also low season for flying compared to July and August. And I bet the December airfare was not over the Christmas holidays i.e. after 18th December? Supply & Demand :).

I think that low price has more to do with the itinerary, at this particular time of unrest, than sailing from Istanbul (same with Black Sea cruises) ;). October is also low season for flying compared to July and August. And I bet the December airfare was not over the Christmas holidays i.e. after 18th December? Supply & Demand :).

I agree regarding the itinerary.

Also, I would opine that buying airfare a few weeks from a transatlantic flight will be higher 9 out of 10 times than if you purchased 6-8 months ahead of time.