Changes in the last ten years?

Vict0riann

We were on the Amsterdam in Jan and we had excellent mac n cheese (based on the dish at a 'famous' Seattle restaurant) and also pot roast (with its fancy name) for dinner. Maybe these were just the chef's choices but they were both excellent.

With all respect and, of course, everyones' tastes are different but for a 7 or 10 day cruise, I'm not looking for 'homey' comfort foods. Those are two very low cost meals and that was my point. Inexpensive groceries! Pot roast and mac and cheese? They won't need Chefs. A cook in the galley would do.

One thing that they never change and I wish they would, is the practice of always serving ice cream in hot bowls. Why oh why do they do that?

To save on china - they have not a huge inventory, so they have to quickly wash and reuse bowls - meaning that the bowls do not have time to cool off after coming out of the dishwasher. An alternative explanation: they know it upsets you , so they pre-heat your bowl before loading it with ice cream. (Did you remove tips on your last cruise?)

To save on china - they have not a huge inventory, so they have to quickly wash and reuse bowls - meaning that the bowls do not have time to cool off after coming out of the dishwasher. An alternative explanation: they know it upsets you , so they pre-heat your bowl before loading it with ice cream. (Did you remove tips on your last cruise?)

And how do you know that they have a small inventory?

I know Sapper personally. She's a lovely person and would never remove the HSC, especially for something like that. Do you remove yours?

And how do you know that they have a small inventory?

I know Sapper personally. She's a lovely person and would never remove the HSC, especially for something like that. Do you remove yours?

The fact that they regularly use heated bowls - and they would obviously not go to the counter-productive extra step of heating ice cream bowls - leaves a fresh-from-the-dishwasher warmth as the logical reason. Why would they always use fresh-from-the-dishwasher bowls if they had a sufficient inventory to use bowls which have had a chance to cool? Ergo: small inventory is a logical source reason.

Given the crucial nature of the problem, I felt an alternate reason should be offered.

Did you REALLY read my tip explanation as seriously proposed?

The fact that they regularly use heated bowls - and they would obviously not go to the counter-productive extra step of heating ice cream bowls - leaves a fresh-from-the-dishwasher warmth as the logical reason. Why would they always use fresh-from-the-dishwasher bowls if they had a sufficient inventory to use bowls which have had a chance to cool? Ergo: small inventory is a logical source reason.

Given the crucial nature of the problem, I felt an alternate reason should be offered.

Did you REALLY read my tip explanation as seriously proposed?

Based on the fact that you've said time and time again people don't need Internet for any reason I'm convinced you meant it. I'm constantly amazed by some of the things you post.

Based on the fact that you've said time and time again people don't need Internet for any reason I'm convinced you meant it. I'm constantly amazed by some of the things you post.

You should be more careful and try a little harder to avoid mis-quoting people.

I have NEVER said " ...people don't need Internet for any reason..."

I have said that I am not convinced that everyone who insists that they MUST be connected actually needs to be in daily contact. As for "...time and again..." , you are blatantly wrong. There is a great difference between commenting on connectivity addiction and the absurd misrepresentation you just posted.

I suggest that you go back and review what I have posted on the topic.

They had Baked Alaska on Statendam Sept. 2011. Also dessert night, but that was a special cruise in terrible weather that missed all but one port. They might have resurrected those events because of the circumstances, but I got the impression they were regular things then.

June 2013 had neither event.

Verandahs

Great beds

Flat screen TV's

WiFi

Pinnacle

Tamarind (on two ships)

Dressing rooms in Neptune Suites

Half Moon Cay

Neptune Lounge

Gorgeous ships

Embarkation Lunch

Someone else's turn to add things they like that have been added to HAL ships. :)

I would add:

The theater entertainment seems to have improved from where it was a couple years ago.

The bartenders are serving more interesting libations every time we sail.

The people we meet seem more and more diverse (in positive and enjoyable ways)

There are more and more choices of things to do - even on the same sized ships.

First of all there are no butlers on Hal. I've been in a Neptune and a penthouse suite and neither time did I flash my card at anyone. While I've seen one person write that they flash their card for better wine service I just consider the source. I highly doubt that many people do and I find the comment offensive.

(Somehow I missed your post until today.)

No offense meant. I was, of course, not referring to you personally, as I do not know you or your cruising history. I might have inferred it from your status, but I never look at people's signatures. I have, as you have, read that this sort of thing happens, but perhaps what I've read was just self-aggrandisement, as you suggest. There seemed to be some possibility of truth in these reports, inasmuch as suite guests have distinguishable cards, don't they? And I did not know suites on HAL did not have butlers...so what is it suite pax do get on HAL, that pax in less exalted accommodations do not get?

A quick search on Holland America site gave this list of Neptune Suite Amenities:

Suite amenities include:

Use of the exclusive Neptune Lounge and personal concierge service

Complimentary laundry, pressing and dry cleaning throughout your cruise

Complimentary sparkling wine served in the Neptune Lounge upon embarkation

Complimentary bottled water provided in suite at embarkation

Gorgeous corsages and boutonnieres for the first formal night

Cold hors d’oeuvres served before dinner each evening on request

Binoculars and umbrellas for your use on the cruise

Cocktail party with ship’s officers

Priority boarding for tendered ports of call

Special disembarkation service

Priority dining and seating requests

Exclusive daily breakfast service

High tea service in suite on request

Elegant wooden clothing brush, lint remover and shoehorn for keeping clothing immaculate

Fragrant bath salts and exfoliating loofah mitt for an invigorating shower experience

Neptune Lounge: A very special amenity exclusively for guests cruising in a Neptune or Pinnacle Suite, the industry-leading Neptune Lounge features a private place to relax, socialize with other suite guests and enjoy the personalized service of a concierge. The fleet-wide lounges provide worktables, large screen television, library, sofas and chairs, refreshments throughout the day and wi-fi for a small charge. One-Touch 24-hour Concierge Service is available when the Neptune Lounge is closed.

One of the reasons for a different color for Suite Key Cards is the priority embarkation/debark. When going directly to the gangway at tender ports, it is fast

and easy for them to determine by key card color the cruiser is entitled to bypass

getting a tender number and permits them to board the next available tender. There

are times when the quick glance at the color speeds things along. ;)

Edited by sail7seas

(Somehow I missed your post until today.)

No offense meant. I was, of course, not referring to you personally, as I do not know you or your cruising history. I might have inferred it from your status, but I never look at people's signatures. I have, as you have, read that this sort of thing happens, but perhaps what I've read was just self-aggrandisement, as you suggest. There seemed to be some possibility of truth in these reports, inasmuch as suite guests have distinguishable cards, don't they? And I did not know suites on HAL did not have butlers...so what is it suite pax do get on HAL, that pax in less exalted accommodations do not get?

I did not think you were referring to me specifically. I honesty haven't noticed many people saying they flash their card at all. Maybe I just notice it when it's people that annoy me in the first place and that just adds to it.

A quick search on Holland America site gave this list of Neptune Suite Amenities:

Suite amenities include:

Quote:

Use of the exclusive Neptune Lounge and personal concierge service

Complimentary laundry, pressing and dry cleaning throughout your cruise

Complimentary sparkling wine served in the Neptune Lounge upon embarkation

Complimentary bottled water provided in suite at embarkation

Gorgeous corsages and boutonnieres for the first formal night

Cold hors d’oeuvres served before dinner each evening on request

Binoculars and umbrellas for your use on the cruise

Cocktail party with ship’s officers

Priority boarding for tendered ports of call

Special disembarkation service

Priority dining and seating requests

Exclusive daily breakfast service

High tea service in suite on request

Elegant wooden clothing brush, lint remover and shoehorn for keeping clothing immaculate

Fragrant bath salts and exfoliating loofah mitt for an invigorating shower experience

Neptune Lounge: A very special amenity exclusively for guests cruising in a Neptune or Pinnacle Suite, the industry-leading Neptune Lounge features a private place to relax, socialize with other suite guests and enjoy the personalized service of a concierge. The fleet-wide lounges provide worktables, large screen television, library, sofas and chairs, refreshments throughout the day and wi-fi for a small charge. One-Touch 24-hour Concierge Service is available when the Neptune Lounge is closed.

One of the reasons for a different color for Suite Key Cards is the priority embarkation/debark. When going directly to the gangway at tender ports, it is fast

and easy for them to determine by key card color the cruiser is entitled to bypass

getting a tender number and permits them to board the next available tender. There

are times when the quick glance at the color speeds things along. ;)

So it is perhaps under the circumstances you mention -- tender access -- where folks on CC who have mentioned suite pax "flashing their cards" have seen it, but then they have cast a wider net and assumed it happened under other circumstances, and often. I do believe folks can get pretty testy while waiting for tenders, and perhaps seeing someone flash a card and then go to the head of the line rankles, if one does not take the time to think about the fact that that card came at a hefty price!

And I do appreciate your having taken the time to post the amenities/perks list from the HAL website. I could have looked it up myself, but I had never imagined butlers were not a perk of all suites on all lines, so I never thought to check. This list looks very similar -- with some notable additions -- to the list of Concierge Class perks from our 2006 Celebrity cruise.

What cracks me up are the descriptions of some of the items -- like the "elegant" lint brush! Too funny!

Edited by SeagoingMom

Sail7seas said:

"Everyone on the ship is getting less when the prices for many drop very low.

Groceries are of lower quality; fewer luxury ingredients, fewer choices for all."

I don't agree with this statement. The prices for many drop very low because the cruise is not selling well and is usually after final payment. HAL have a bottom line and they obviously consider it beneficial to do this and to hopefully get some money for onboard purchases - probably mainly alcohol than to carry empty cabins. Whichever solution they follow they could make the economies Sail says but actually it would not pay them to do so as they will lose the long term passengers. The economies are all about being competitive and not raising their prices but how can you do this if the cruises are struggling to fill the ship.

You would also have an unhappy crew as there gratuities would dwindle and so many are supporting families back at home.

So it is perhaps under the circumstances you mention -- tender access -- where folks on CC who have mentioned suite pax "flashing their cards" have seen it, but then they have cast a wider net and assumed it happened under other circumstances, and often. I do believe folks can get pretty testy while waiting for tenders, and perhaps seeing someone flash a card and then go to the head of the line rankles, if one does not take the time to think about the fact that that card came at a hefty price!

And I do appreciate your having taken the time to post the amenities/perks list from the HAL website. I could have looked it up myself, but I had never imagined butlers were not a perk of all suites on all lines, so I never thought to check. This list looks very similar -- with some notable additions -- to the list of Concierge Class perks from our 2006 Celebrity cruise.

What cracks me up are the descriptions of some of the items -- like the "elegant" lint brush! Too funny!

Gorgeous corsages is the one that I think is hilarious! It's a carnation all by it's lonesome.

Well, I do agree with what Sail7seas said about everyone getting less when prices drop. Yes, HAL drops the prices to fill the ship. Its something they have to do if they want to fill the ship. But, there is no doubt in my mind that when they need to do this, they must do things to make up for this reduction in revenue, so they probably cut back on certain things. That would certainly affect everyone on the cruise.

As for Suite benefits, the one I find the most enjoyable is breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill. Everything else is just bonus. I like the suites for the space they have more than the amenities that come with them.

I have sailed more than 80 HAL cruises always in Neptune or Pinnacle Suite and have never once 'flashed' my card in the way you infer. I cannot recall ever seeing a Suite guest flashing their card and pushing their way to the front of the line. If there is a tender line at the gangway, we get at the end of that line and wait our turn.

I am sure someone will come here and state how they watched some arrogant whoever push to the front of the line and they probably did but thankfully I have not been subjected to seeing that.

As to butlers...... we had butlers last on our Celebrity cruises and I found them so annoying, we actually tipped them to please stay away. We told them we'd call them if we needed or wanted something. We never found the desire or need to call. :)

In my experience, the combination of really good cabin steward and concierge has served us way better. I have yet to find the circumstance the combination of the two could not manage for us.

Wait a minute.....I think that having an 'elegant' lint brush ( vs our plain Jane one at home), a gorgeous corsage (is it really one lonely carnation) and a 'complementary' bottle of water (would that be deluxe, still, sparkling or just ordinary bottled water) is the icing on the cake.

We just may have to spring for one of them there fancy cabins.

Edited by iancal

Ten cruises or a hundred - it doesn't matter, it comes down to your own experience. I personally could not imagine anything worse than having a butler - invasive and uncomfortable, as far as I'm concerned. I have loved Neptune suite life when I have been fortunate enough to get an upsell, but as someone else said, the best part is breakfast in the PG. That's the only perk I need.:) I also haven't seen a gold card flashed but I probably wouldn't notice anyway.

>SNIP< I also haven't seen a gold card flashed but I probably wouldn't notice anyway.

The first time we had an upsell we invited our MDR table companions to dinner on our balcony the night we were in Topolobampo ('cuz there just isn't that much to do in Topo after dark).

When they accepted the invitation we told them we were in a suite. The woman was shocked because we had not mentioned it. Apparently on the previous cruise they'd been on, one of their dinner companions managed to mention it in every sentence :eek: including "I should NOT have to remove these shrimp tails, I'm in a suite, I expect that to be looked after" to the dining steward :eek:

So it does happen, I guess. I have no reason to doubt this woman's recollection.

Wait a minute.....I think that having an 'elegant' lint brush ( vs our plain Jane one at home), a gorgeous corsage (is it really one lonely carnation) and a 'complementary' bottle of water (would that be deluxe, still, sparkling or just ordinary bottled water) is the icing on the cake.

We just may have to spring for one of them there fancy cabins.

Yes, it really is just one lonely carnation....with maybe a bit of greenery thrown in. Is there a particular reason that you doubt what I say? It gets sort of tiresome to be challenged on the silliest things:rolleyes:.