Proper attire if invited to Captain's Table for Dinner?

dongordon

For a man, a jacket and tie would be appropriate if you brought one along. Otherwise, dress slacks, with a dress shirt.

For a woman a nice dress, or a dressy pant outfit. Just my opinion.

I third this.

The captain's likely to be in his dress uniform, but since NCL went super-casual, a lot of passengers probably pack only daytime-type clothes, as the other poster said.

If you think there's a chance of an invite, it would be prudent for a guy to pack at least one nice shirt and sports jacket (tie optional, but definitely a suave touch ;)), and a woman to pack a dress that could go day to evening, or accessories to glam up a daytime outfit.

On my last NCL cruise, I did get invited to the captain's table and had the "what to wear" dilemma. I wore a sleeveless black top and slacks with a lacy shawl, dressy earrings, evening bag, and low heels. My look turned out to be a tad more formal than the other women, who wore simple daytime dresses.

In my etiquette book :), dressing in line with the host shows respect for the host's hospitality.

Our experience has been quite different. On our last five cruises the concierge has arranged an invite to dine with the Captain every time. We have been the best dressed at the table with a sport shirt and dockers. The Captain and his officers have always been dressed in their everyday whites, same as you see them wearing around the ship. At our most recent table we had everything from jeans to dockers, nothing more. I can't imagine there are very many on board these days that have a jacket let alone a tie. Concierge has always told those invited that resort casual, same as any other meal was appropriate. I've not noticed anyone made to feel uncomfortable, so I assume resort casual is good.

Exact same thing as we find at all of the Chef's Tables, three years ago one gentleman showed up in a sport coat and when he found he was the only one, he took it off for the evening.

Our experience has been quite different. On our last five cruises the concierge has arranged an invite to dine with the Captain every time. We have been the best dressed at the table with a sport shirt and dockers. The Captain and his officers have always been dressed in their everyday whites, same as you see them wearing around the ship. At our most recent table we had everything from jeans to dockers, nothing more. I can't imagine there are very many on board these days that have a jacket let alone a tie. Concierge has always told those invited that resort casual, same as any other meal was appropriate. I've not noticed anyone made to feel uncomfortable, so I assume resort casual is good.

Exact same thing as we find at all of the Chef's Tables, three years ago one gentleman showed up in a sport coat and when he found he was the only one, he took it off for the evening.

Very surprised that the Captain and officers were in whites, as it is NCL policy to change into blues at 1700 if you are going to be in guest areas.

Our experience has been quite different. On our last five cruises the concierge has arranged an invite to dine with the Captain every time. We have been the best dressed at the table with a sport shirt and dockers. The Captain and his officers have always been dressed in their everyday whites, same as you see them wearing around the ship. At our most recent table we had everything from jeans to dockers, nothing more.

Interesting... of course, my experience with this goes back 8 years, but the captain I dined with wore his formal blue uniform, as Chengkp75 said.

I spent some years on the SS Norway sailing with a senior officer (well before Freestyle). Some nights he had more costume changes than a Vegas showgirl. He said the rules for which uniform he could wear, where, were stringent. Day whites OK for out on deck evenings, but long white wool jacket (he called it "the blanket") in inside public spaces. Formal uniform (short white jacket, black trousers then) on formal nights.

To wear the wrong thing in the wrong place was considered gauche.

I'm glad to hear things may have relaxed somewhat, but I wouldn't want to see the senior officers in day whites all the time. The uniform and epaulettes should command respect, not be considered "overdressed," IMHO.

The only time I saw the Captain in Blues on any of our cruises was for photo night.

We usually see a couple of the ships senior officers at dinner each night as they sometimes stop by and say hello. HD and Staff Captain have always been in whites.

Maybe we're cruising the wrong ships?

Edited by rvsullivan

The only time I saw the Captain in Blues on any of our cruises was for photo night.

We usually see a couple of the ships senior officers at dinner each night as they sometimes stop by and say hello. HD and Staff Captain have always been in whites.

Maybe we're cruising the wrong ships?

Policy may have changed. When I was working there 6 years ago, it was the biggest pain to go change uniforms just to eat dinner in a guest area, so it wasn't real popular, at least with the Deck/Engine officers. Maybe that is why there is now a new policy. Could also be that they are trimming costs by not issuing more uniforms. I had khakis, whites, blues, and formals.

Quick question; what do the officers wear for the "wave" on the last night? I know my friend who is still Chief on the POA wears blues for this and photo night.

Edited by chengkp75

People who are well-mannered & practice good etiquette make their guests feel comfortable no matter what they are wearing. I personally do not care what any one seated at my table or at the captain's table or in the buffet is wearing as long as they have good table manners.

Does one know ahead of time if they are invited? Probably not

Personally I like casual but we always bring at least one nicer outfit along anyway

Silk slacks and top for me that roll up to nothing

Dark slacks and nice checked sort of casual to nicer type dress button down for dh.

Either way if invited I would just say that we only brought casual stuff if that were the case and would it be ok?

Bet the answer is yes

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Find out what they are wearing that night...their whites or their dress uniform...if their dress uniform, then the dressiet thing you brought. If whites, then the dressiest thing you brought! LOL.

On a side note...in the old Norwegian way...they want you to wear whatever you feel most comfortable in...they know you are vacation and they want you to enjoy yourself and not worry about it.

coka

Very surprised that the Captain and officers were in whites, as it is NCL policy to change into blues at 1700 if you are going to be in guest areas.

Whenever I have dined with an officer, they're in blues. I usually pack a slightly fancy blouse & black pants just in case I want to get a little bit dressy; they don't take up much room and I feel better.

They don't kick you out if you don't dress up, so don't sweat it!

Policy may have changed. When I was working there 6 years ago, it was the biggest pain to go change uniforms just to eat dinner in a guest area, so it wasn't real popular, at least with the Deck/Engine officers. Maybe that is why there is now a new policy. Could also be that they are trimming costs by not issuing more uniforms. I had khakis, whites, blues, and formals.

Quick question; what do the officers wear for the "wave" on the last night? I know my friend who is still Chief on the POA wears blues for this and photo night.

The most recent cruise was blues for the last night. Dug out a couple of pictures to make sure.

Never had dinner with the Captain, but had dinner with the Staff Captain which I guess is the next closest thing. The men had jackets and ties. Then again, sometimes I have a jacket when it is just us. It's NCL, I don't think the Captain cares if the guests are less formal, he would rather have them comfortable.