Value of Blu for specialty dining?

EvelynAlexa

What should Celebrity charge for Blu dinners and/or breakfast if it was a specialty restaurant?

Looking at Aqua Class, we see showers, Persian Garden, and Blu are part of the cost. What do you consider the value of dinner in Blu compared to Murano, Quisine, Bistro of 5, Tuscan Grille. What price would you pay per person to dine in Blu?

Eve

There has always been a pay for arrangement for evening dining in Blu if not in AQ or a Suite. I don't know what it is or has been for anyone outside of that segment, but it has existed as an alternative venue on a space available basis.

Edited by MizDemeanor

The tables are spread out enough to enjoy a nice dinner as a table for two, but ar close enough to engage in a conversation with the diners next to you if you would like.

On the Reflection they added extra tables and there is just enough space to get a hand in between to change the table cloths. The Reflection is just too conjested in Blu. This also creates the situation where the waiter reaches over and across the table to serve the person on the other side of the table as opposed to serving from behind. Nothing like having their arm pit in your face.

At the beginning of the cruise it will be rather quite, as the days pass passengers will get to know one another and the converstaions will make the restuarant louder.

Then is always the large group that has the token life of the party that has to make sure that everyone knows that they are having a great time with the constant exaggerated loud laugh and voice. You wonder how they have any time to eat as much as they do and it must be because they can do multi tasking of talking and chewing at the same time.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

The tables are spread out enough to enjoy a nice dinner as a table for two, but ar close enough to engage in a conversation with the diners next to you if you would like.

On the Reflection they added extra tables and there is just enough space to get a hand in between to change the table cloths. The Reflection is just too conjested in Blu. This also creates the situation where the waiter reaches over and across the table to serve the person on the other side of the table as opposed to serving from behind. Nothing like having their arm pit in your face.

At the beginning of the cruise it will be rather quite, as the days pass passengers will get to know one another and the converstaions will make the restuarant louder.

Then is always the large group that has the token life of the party that has to make sure that everyone knows that they are having a great time with the constant exaggerated loud laugh and voice. You wonder how they have any time to eat as much as they do and it must be because they can do multi tasking of talking and chewing at the same time.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Oh I know this type. It's a familiar group of those who have gotten it on while dining and are just having too much food, fun, and wine to not want to enjoy one another's company.

There has always been a pay for arrangement for evening dining in Blu if not in AQ or a Suite. I don't know what it is or has been for anyone outside of that segment, but it has existed as an alternative venue on a space available basis.

Never! If you are not in Aqua or a suite, you will not be allowed to eat in blu, period.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Never! If you are not in Aqua or a suite, you will not be allowed to eat in blu, period.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Has there EVER been an exception, obviously.

A friend of mine bet me that he could offer the host $50 and get into Blu. He didn't get in.

I will correct my statement because as we all know, there are no absolutes with Celebrity....in general their motto is "a rule is made to be guessed at"....so Kevin is right...as far as any of us know, no one has dined in blu that isn't in aqua or a suite and many of us have seen folks turned away. On th eother hand, I have no doubt that someone has managed to be admitted, due to public stature, outstanding looks, knowing the right people, working for the right web site and so on....but the chances of an average Nigel or Mary (you or I) getting in remain extremely slim.

Blu is a clean eating option on board. While it's not as "clean" meaning everything is fresh with no preservatives as we are used to at home, it's as close as you'll find on board. The food is not heavy with sauces. It all depends on your tastes.

Judy

What should Celebrity charge for Blu dinners and/or breakfast if it was a specialty restaurant?

Looking at Aqua Class, we see showers, Persian Garden, and Blu are part of the cost. What do you consider the value of dinner in Blu compared to Murano, Quisine, Bistro of 5, Tuscan Grille. What price would you pay per person to dine in Blu?

Eve

IMO you cannot compare Blu to Q'sine, Tuscan Grill, Lawn Grill or Murano's. The food while ok in blu, isn't the same as the Speciality restaurants. The quality of the speciality restaurants food, service as well as the presentation is superior. Blu is available for Aqua Class guests and Suite guest only. Some people enjoy the muselli cereal in the morning in Blu and the yogurt shakes- Not my cup of tea. You can also eat healthy in the MDR.

We also enjoy Bistro on Five, especially for lunch on boarding day. We truly prefer the MDR or Buffet for lunch and dinner- also free is the burger and hot dog grills.

Now Celebrity will have a new dining venue for suite guests only- perhaps that venue will equal the speciality restaurants as it should, considering the price of a suite. The first couple of cruises in AQ we tried the Persian Garden, but stopped going after a couple of cruises.

We now either sail in a suite, if the price is right- or if not a suite, CC. With the money we save by not paying additional for AQ, we take a package to dine in a speciality restaurant for dinner nightly enjoying the best of both worlds.

Clearly to each his/her own- that is the beauty of a cruise so many choices to please all tastes.

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by Cruise a holic

"There has always been a pay for arrangement for evening dining in Blu if not in AQ or a Suite. I don't know what it is or has been for anyone outside of that segment, but it has existed as an alternative venue on a space available basis."

I'm looking at that word always and I know that's not accurate. Maybe there was a time in the beginning where non Aqua/non Suite guests could go there, but it certainly is not true now.

Edited by cruisestitch

This is NOT true, we've been sailing in AQ since its inception and that is the one rule that X does not break......they will not budge on this one.....as many on these boards have testified to over the years...

Edited by Gracie115

"There has always been a pay for arrangement for evening dining in Blu if not in AQ or a Suite. I don't know what it is or has been for anyone outside of that segment, but it has existed as an alternative venue on a space available basis."

I'm looking at that word always and I know that's not accurate. Maybe there was a time in the beginning where non Aqua/non Suite guests could go there, but it certainly is not true now.

I believe I corrected that statement. We have not sailed Cebrity in a couple of years.

This is NOT true, we've been sailing in AQ since its inception and that is the one rule that X does not break......they will not budge on this one.....as many on these boards have testified to over the years...

It is true. Maybe you just didn't know about it. But what does it matter?

Perhaps not now then based on your comment, but before, no doubt about it, definatley yes!

You're right it doesn't matter now...but it still is NOT true and is misleading to those who think they might be able to do it....it's just not been done.........

Edited by Gracie115

You're right it doesn't matter now...but it still is NOT true and is misleading to those who think they might be able to do it....it's just not been done.........

Anyone can try to do what they want, people do it all the time and tips are regularly given on how to go about getting

around the rules while on board.

That was neither my intent or my objective. Suggesting what I have personal knowledge of is not the same as me making an outrageous statement or is untrue.

Anyone can try to do what they want, people do it all the time and tips are regularly given on how to go about getting

around the rules while on board.

That was neither my intent or my objective. Suggesting what I have personal knowledge of is not the same as me making an outrageous statement or is untrue.

and as you have already said it doesn't matter now........I do know of people trying to bribe their way in to no avail......you are the only person I've heard of that claims they or someone they know ate in Blu without being in a suite or AQ...........if it happened it happened...it does not happen now.

As I said in post 34....there are no absolutes when it comes to policies on Celebrity......the policy is in the eyes of the beholder, so to speak. There is always someone who is willing to bend the rules for a $...there are always those that will bend the rules for a lady friend...there are always folks who will do what their boss tells them to do, even if they know it is against the policy...and so on. So surely, there have been folks in Blu who shouldn't have been allowed in, but through the magic of persuasion have managed to dine there.

Repeating what I said in post 34....don't count on being able to eat in blu if you aren't in aqua or a suite....or very well known...or very beautiful and single...or (you fill in the blank).

We have never seen this on our Celebrity cruises where we have been in AQ a few times. In fact, we have watched folks turned away (twice) when trying to get friends into AQ. Even when they offered to pay for their friends they were clearly told that Blu was only available to Aqua Class and Suites. We do recall that suites were supposed to be charged $5 to dine in Blu (on a space available basis) but we have known suite folks to get in with the charge being waived (not sure they even charge anyone now).

One evening we witnessed quite a scene (on the Silhouette) when a couple, who were obviously staying in one of the very large/expensive suites, were denied entry to Blu. They showed up at prime time (about 7:30) and Blu was near full. The male passenger ranted and raved (loudly) and said that he was paying "a lot of money" for his suite and should be accommodated. The Maitre' D stood his ground and offered to seat the couple if they returned about 8:30. After yelling that he was going to call "Mr. Bayley" the couple departed.

Hank

Another Blu tale. One evening we were heading to Blu and stopped to chat with the Maitre d of Qsine. We chatted about the various restaurants (we had previously met this Maitre D) and then DW mentioned that we would have to get back to Qsine before the end of the cruise. I then smiled and said "why don't you just let us in at half price." The Maitre D quickly responded "sold" and we ate in Qsine for $20 (this was before the recent price increase).

Hank

Another Blu tale. One evening we were heading to Blu and stopped to chat with the Maitre d of Qsine. We chatted about the various restaurants (we had previously met this Maitre D) and then DW mentioned that we would have to get back to Qsine before the end of the cruise. I then smiled and said "why don't you just let us in at half price." The Maitre D quickly responded "sold" and we ate in Qsine for $20 (this was before the recent price increase).

Hank

We've found that the specialty restaurants generally play "let's make a deal" and they'll take most any reasonable offer if made in a friendly, joking way. They are also amenable to discounting a bit more if you choose to return to the same restaurant again during the cruise. I don't think we have ever eaten in a Celebrity specialty restaurant (excluding bistro on 5) for the "MSRP".

We are sailing on Celebrity for the first time and, while I cannot report on my experience in Aqua Class, see some perks I find worthwhile.

One that is seldom mentioned but can be important is the limitation to two pax per room. This means being in a part of the ship with no groups on a nearby balcony and no children or teens roaming the halls. Another is priority boarding. Having had my last two cruises in a standard class on HAL, I am willing to pay extra not to be herded like cattle in the terminal. I don't know how "priority" the boarding is, but have seen some good reports.

On my two-week HAL cruise to Hawaii I paid hundreds of dollars extra for a spa pass. I love the idea of being able to head to the steam room, lie on the heated bed or relax in the solarium. Also, while you can get water and other drinks on the beverage plan, having them supplied to the room rather than running to another part of the ship to bring them back is a bonus.

Having had three cruises on the "luxury" (and ever more expensive) Regent and two on the "premium" (?) HAL, I am really hoping =X= fits a gap between the two that will keep me satisfied to the point where I don't have to go back to dropping an unconscionable amount of money on a cruise.