Has anyone tried getting happy hour drinks for kids (Diamond)?

jmrothermel

No, kids dodn´t have the drink vouchers!

We had to change our DD Seapass Card with the Loyality Ambassador as we moved up to Diamond only three nights before our Oasis TA. She gave us the information card for the cocktail hour but didn´t mention anything about our daughter. And when you look up the C&A benefits, there´s no difference regarding the kids´ benefits for all C&A statuses. The cocktail hour is only mentioned for the adults. All kids´ vouchers are completely worthless (and no drink vouchers mentioned on the information sheet for the kids).

Our DD was able to go into the Diamond Club (card worked). But she wasn´t allowed to go into the Cocktail Hour venues (Jazz on 4 and Blaze). She once was allowed in when she explained that she was searching for us.

The only free soda she got was one I ordered with my coupons.

steamboats

BTW our DD is Diamond on her own (at the age of 14) - same cruises as we have.

This is what we experienced (except we never even went in the designated cocktail lounges, since the letter sent out said kids were not allowed and we did not want to leave the kids behind). Both teens were allowed into the DL at other times, DD popped in a couple of times to grab a quick breakfast.

Like Steamboat's daughter, both teens (17 and 15) are Diamonds in their own right, and since we did not start sailing RCI until the youngest was 12 they have even always had their own room and paid as first and second passengers.

There is really no good reason to make them feel like second class citizens, but that is a bit how the policy works at the moment. (and. no, before someone says it, this is not a huge deal and did not ruin anyone'S cruise---I can still enjoy a vacation and like a line overall and feel that some policies are annoying or ought to be changed ;) )

Given that the Diamond Lounge is technically off limits to children during the cocktail hours, that's probably the reason the vouchers aren't loaded onto a child's sea pass. There is some logic in that. Whether or not they're let into the DL is another story.

I wonder if they technically are allowed into the DL during cocktail hours that they will be loaded on to the card? Last year when we were on the Freedom we had a letter that stated they were allowed in during cocktail hours as long as they were accompanied by an adult. :confused:

I didn't realize that my child would match my C&A status.

Just curious....

If I were D+ and my child became D+ because of my status, would he be D+ going forward when he becomes an adult and cruises alone in the future?

BTW...I am only Emerald and this would never happen with me so my question is only hypothetical.

Just curious....

If I were D+ and my child became D+ because of my status, would he be D+ going forward when he becomes an adult and cruises alone in the future?

BTW...I am only Emerald and this would never happen with me so my question is only hypothetical.

Yes your child inherits your status and retains that but keeps their own points in order to progress to the next level.

They could be diamond with only 14 points and then would need to get to 175 points to become D+.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Just curious....

Yes, the child would retain the status you had when the child turned 18. However their points would only reflect the cruises that they took themselves.

I wonder if they technically are allowed into the DL during cocktail hours that they will be loaded on to the card? Last year when we were on the Freedom we had a letter that stated they were allowed in during cocktail hours as long as they were accompanied by an adult. :confused:

I thought I had read a post from sometime in the summer stating that they had changed the rules and that children were now allowed in both the CL and DL lounges at all times as long as accompanied by an adult.

No, kids dodn´t have the drink vouchers!

We had to change our DD Seapass Card with the Loyality Ambassador as we moved up to Diamond only three nights before our Oasis TA. She gave us the information card for the cocktail hour but didn´t mention anything about our daughter. And when you look up the C&A benefits, there´s no difference regarding the kids´ benefits for all C&A statuses. The cocktail hour is only mentioned for the adults. All kids´ vouchers are completely worthless (and no drink vouchers mentioned on the information sheet for the kids).

Our DD was able to go into the Diamond Club (card worked). But she wasn´t allowed to go into the Cocktail Hour venues (Jazz on 4 and Blaze). She once was allowed in when she explained that she was searching for us.

The only free soda she got was one I ordered with my coupons.

steamboats

BTW our DD is Diamond on her own (at the age of 14) - same cruises as we have.

So it's a no for kids/teens, even if they are diamond in their own right (ours have also been on every one of our cruises from age 4)? Or is this dependent on ship (similar to whether entrance to the DL is permitted) :confused:? I'm sure we'll find out for definite next month ;).

Actually the C&A benefits are for adults only. Kids do have their own "benefits" and do not participate in the regular benefits. There are special "Youth Program Benefits" listed on the C&A website (scroll down to the bottom).

Number 1 is the completely worthless coupon book. Number 2 is the commemorate gift. Number 3 is "same status as parents".

Hadley, did your kids receive the commemorate gift on the Oasis? Was the same C&A backpack I did win at the Meet & Mingle.

steamboats

Actually the C&A benefits are for adults only. Kids do have their own "benefits" and do not participate in the regular benefits. There are special "Youth Program Benefits" listed on the C&A website (scroll down to the bottom).

Number 1 is the completely worthless coupon book. Number 2 is the commemorate gift. Number 3 is "same status as parents".

Hadley, did your kids receive the commemorate gift on the Oasis? Was the same C&A backpack I did win at the Meet & Mingle.

steamboats

Yep--thanks they got their backpacks (on about day 10). I was glad they got that, and I like that benefit for the kids when it happens.

The BEST though (which RCI has honored for them twice now) is getting the balcony discount for rooms the kids are booked in that we are not in as well (so we can book side by side balcony rooms and not have to put book it differntly than we will sleep and we still get the discount on each of the rooms using the kids' status for their discount).

That part is worth a lot more than a soda (or three) in happy hour would ever be :D (but, I still thinking offering the soda would be nice----and regardless, I love the coupons now so that we can have an evening drink but not abandon the kids to do so; that will be particularly nice this spring when only DS would then be too young to join us in the lounge at that time)

If the DL is the only place a kid can get a free soda during cocktail hours, I have visions of it turning into Romper Room. :D

Edit: I think I just gave away my age.

Edited by Big_G

• 2 months later...

Darn. I was hoping my kids would be able to get a free frozen drink or soda if they had vouchers. But as one poster said, I would rather have the balcony discount.

So I'm guessing my 18yo who is diamond through us and I think will be in his own right by our Med cruise in June will get vouchers since they let 18yo drink on their European cruises. He is going to love that!

We were on the Indy in March when they were rolling out the voucher program and as long as we activated our kids SeaPass cards (we don't usually let them charge to the account) they were given the same three drink vouchers to be used in any bar during the DL cocktail hours.

They used these to get sodas. Shirley Temples and the mocktails on the bar menu on several nights.

I know this was the beginning of the roll out so the rules may have changed. We have never brought our kids (10 & 12) to the DL during cocktail hour as it seemed more of an adult occasion. This new program allowed all of us to enjoy a before dinner beverage together, along with my non-Diamond parents (who bought their drinks). I hope it continues to be that way, but we will find out in a few weeks on the Freedom.

YMMV of course ;)

Having sailed in a suite on the Mariner, Freedom and Allure I can tell you the CL kept their standards high and only served adults when we were there during cocktail hour.

Mind you our DD did think about pulling a fast one but me and DH said no, and it was obvious how they monitored the room, that it would not happen on their shift.

Kudos to the CL workers.

Sea Ya

Having sailed in a suite on the Mariner, Freedom and Allure I can tell you the CL kept their standards high and only served adults when we were there during cocktail hour.

Mind you our DD did think about pulling a fast one but me and DH said no, and it was obvious how they monitored the room, that it would not happen on their shift.

Kudos to the CL workers.

Sea Ya

Currently, kids are allowed in the CLs as long as they are there with an adult.

Kudos to the CL workers.

Sea Ya

:confused:??? I'm not sure what you are trying to say? Are you saying that a parent was in the CL with a child or grand child and they were not served a soda if they wanted one???

I'd think that would be a recipe for disaster!!:eek:

We have a lot of experience with this since DD is D+. DD has accumulated 208 nights. Yes, the coupons are loaded onto her sea pass card and she can get non-alcoholic versions of any drink available in the CL or DL at any bar on the ship. Typically frozen drinks are not available. But in reality the bartenders never charge anything to her card, they just charge the alcoholic drinks that I order. I usually tip each round for both of our drinks and there has never been a problem. I don't think you will have any problems. Enjoy your cruise.:):)