Advantage of 2 guaranteed inside?

acegolfer25

I just booked 10/23 caribbean princess for a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 young kids).

2 guaranteed inside was 60% cheaper than the cost of 1 room for 4 ppl. So we booked 2 guaranteed. I understand that we won't get 2 adjacent cabins.

Any tips on how to take advantage of 2 cabins?

By booking two GTYs, you may wind up not only not near each other but could be decks and the length of a ship away. Not the best idea if you're traveling with small children. I'd never chance it even if it meant saving some money.

Edited by Pam in CA

The advantage of two cabins? TWO BATHROOMS!!!! When our kids were little, the four of us shared an inside cabin to Alaska. It was a great time, but there were tense moments. Put one adult in each cabin and if the adults need alone time remember there is always the schedule kid program.

Make sure that you put some kind of request with your booking re being a family with children. And obviously have a parent listed in each room. I agree that this can leave you on different floors. Gtys are filled last minute. You'll get what's left. I wouldn't have done it. Watch for sales.Something might open that will work better for you. How old are the kids?

Edited by eandj

Choosing lets you pick the room YOU want. A gty will let the ship assgin you a room. However sometimes if the ship isns't full you might be assigned a room a category or more higher for that cost. If you get sea sick, have mobility problems or a certain location preference, then just choose your own room.

On the Princess website it looks like a room 'guarantee' and 'choose my own' is the same price. Is there any advantage to going with a guarantee vs. choosing?
IMHO, no advantage to booking a GTY because it's a crapshoot where you'll be assigned. There's always the possibility of an upgrade but keep in mind that what Princess considers an upgrade, you may not.

if the kids are young enough and you don't mind being cozy, you can all just stay in the room you like the best. For a 60% cheaper fare, seems like a no brainer. Just make sure you've got the life jackets.

otherwise, like others have said, link the cabins, and put one adult/one child in each.

we have 3 children and over the years came up with some very imaginative sleeping arrangements to save money.

I'm OP. Thanks for your inputs and here are my responses as I was not clear in OP.

1. I understand the 2 cabins will be far apart even on different decks. But we intend to stay all in 1 room. Or 3 + 1(me).

2. It's 1 reservation for 2 cabins. (linked)

3. Each cabin reservation is for 1 adult + 1 child.

4. When I booked yesterday, I couldn't select a cabin. The only option for inside was GTY.

5. I didn't choose GTY for a possible upgrade.

6. For a 4-night cruise, 2 gty cost less than $1000 (~$60 pp, pn). The cheapest cabin for 4 ppl was $2500. Perhaps, I'm too cheap to pay $2500.

Like a previous poster said princess web site shows inside cabins available today to choose you own stateroom for the same price as a guarantee. Looks like aloha deck has some cabins available next to each other. Maybe you could call your TA or princess and see if you could be assigned two next to each other. Doesn't hurt to ask. Even if you used only one for sleeping having the second cabin next door would really help for extra storage and the extra bathroom.

Thanks for the tip on extra bathroom and storage.

Any other clever way to take advantage of 2 cabins?

(I didn't create this post to ask whether I made the right decision. If you read the OP, I asked how to take advantage of this situation.)

Linking the cabins is only for dining. It won't affect cabin assignments. Just so that you know.

Once onboard, go to the Passenger Services Desk and ask for non-charging cabin keys for access to cabins in which one or more of you isn't booked so that you each have access to both cabins.

Linking the cabins is only for dining. It won't affect cabin assignments. Just so that you know.

Once onboard, go to the Passenger Services Desk and ask for non-charging cabin keys for access to cabins in which one or more of you isn't booked so that you each have access to both cabins.

Thanks a great advice. Haven't thought about the 2 sets of cabin keys.

Wow, big price difference. I can certainly see why you made that decision.

IMHO, the biggest risk of a Guarantee is that you'll get a cabin in a noisy location (under the gym, under the buffet, too close to one of the live-music venues, etc...). To counter that, I always pack earplugs when I've booked a Guarantee. Don't know if this is a reasonable solution for your family or not... Good luck with your cabin assignments! :)

IMHO, the biggest risk of a Guarantee is that you'll get a cabin in a noisy location (under the gym, under the buffet, too close to one of the live-music venues, etc...). To counter that, I always pack earplugs when I've booked a Guarantee. Don't know if this is a reasonable solution for your family or not... Good luck with your cabin assignments! :)

That's a great tip. If necessary, I'll sleep in the noisier cabin with earplugs. Hope 1 of the 2 cabins is quiet.

I just booked 2 guarantees because there were no more minis that held four in my category. I was told if the children are underage and in a separate cabin they will put you near each other. If not...I still got two minis for less than one mini with four squished in. Any upgrade would be nice. We switched to. Mini because we wanted the sofa in our cabin.

I was told if the children are underage and in a separate cabin they will put you near each other.

I have never heard of Princess allowing underage children to be booked alone in cabins. People normally book one child with an adult and then switch once on the ship. With some children this works out fine BUT last Christmas I wish I would have reported the two cabins across the hall from us. Two small (under 10) children in each cabin with the parents on a different deck. They chased each other around the halls all day, pillow fights, screaming, tossed dirty dishes out in the hall along with all their wet towels. The door was open several times when I walked by - Oh my goodness, the poor crew member who had to clean that room.

Please keep an eye on your kids and don't let them run wild. I know you say your wife will stay in the same cabin but some people say one thing and do another - not saying you are like that.

They will be 17 and 15 at the time. I spoke to princess three times. the children are old enough for their own cabin and since there is nobody over 18 in that cabin they will keep both cabins near each other. That being said if they don't link us we will put boys in one cabin girls in another. Two bathrooms, towel robes, four TV's. Cant wait! As far as keeping an eye on them....Well I am the mean mom who makes rules and curfews. There would be consequences:eek:

I would still link the 2 cabins. When I have linked up with friends on guarantees, we have open been near each other, if not, right next to each other. And we often have been upgraded at the same time. There have been several stories on CC that are similar. So while Princess doesn't say it, I think they use it when they can.

I would also watch the Personalizer like crazy. The moment you see cabins assigned, you can often choose a different cabin in that same category. You may have a chance of getting 2 cabins right next to each other. I would also watch pricing - it is possible you can move up to a category that allows you to pick your cabins.

Good luck!

Edited by Coral