Veendam 9/29/2014 Canceled

carolcp

Don't know if ya'll heard but the cruise Quebec-Boston was suddenly cancelled when we tried to depart Quebec. Something showed up on the pre-sail check and after 5+ hours of delays the captain said it is severe problems with the propeller and is cancelling the cruise. I don't know if the ship will make it back to Boston in time to sail for the October 4 cruise.

We have been treated very well by the cruise line. We are doing a back to back cruise Boston - Quebec - Boston and have our car in the parking lot in Boston so we are renting a car and driving back to Boston. Thank goodness we got a car late at night since there are none left. Our luggage is not "airline" ready and too much breakables so driving or a train were our only choices. It will be an adventure and more time to see the leaves change.

It must be serious for the entire cruise to be canceled. Glad to hear that you feel HAL is treating you well.

Have a nice drive back to Boston. Take your time and enjoy the ride! It's leaf-peeping season, so it should be pretty!

We are scheduled to depart on the 4th from Boston for a back to back on the Veendam. This could make things very interesting. Sorry you were cancelled! Anyone know the link to the HAL page that discusses such issues? Bill

I've been searching for info from HAL also. So far no luck. We are scheduled to board the ship in FLL when it returns from the cruise you are on and heads south. Hopefully by then things will be back in order.

Of course - it was a sticky!

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6003

Edited by Linda&Vern

It must be serious for the entire cruise to be canceled. Glad to hear that you feel HAL is treating you well.

Have a nice drive back to Boston. Take your time and enjoy the ride! It's leaf-peeping season, so it should be pretty!

Hi, Ruth! We were on the Veendam with you in Antarctica in January of 2013. It was nice to finally meet you. We sat at a table right next to you.

Bill

Just read this as the sticky at the top of the board.

I know that "stuff" happens. But, one more reason why I really don't understand why the Veendam is not leaving the fleet rather than the Ryndam or the Statendam.

From the information in the sticky, guests are being treated well. 100% refund and 100% credit for a future cruise!

Have a pleasant and safe trip back to Boston.

I know that "stuff" happens. But, one more reason why I really don't understand why the Veendam is not leaving the fleet rather than the Ryndam or the Statendam.

From the information in the sticky, guests are being treated well. 100% refund and 100% credit for a future cruise!

I just read it too - and I agree, pretty generous compensation. Hope it helps with the huge disappointment some passengers will feel. I know it would for me.;)

Probably because no one wants the veendam.

Probably because no one wants the veendam.

I sailed on her when she was 2 years old. Great ship and loved the decor.

But, after her "improvements:rolleyes:", really am having trouble talking myself into booking another cruise aboard her. Would love to go to Bermuda in 2015 and her pricing is better than Royal Caribbean. Have to wonder: why is that?

The 4/October voyage Boston - Quebec City has also been cancelled and official announcement will come out later today apparently.

That would make sense I guess. Otherwise they would be sailing an empty ship from Quebec back to Boston for the cruise on the 4th. HOPEFULLY the ship will be ready for the October 11 departure from Quebec. If not - that will be a total mess. That cruise goes Quebec - Boston - FLL - San Diego.

Edited by Linda&Vern

I sailed on her when she was 2 years old. Great ship and loved the decor.

But, after her "improvements:rolleyes:", really am having trouble talking myself into booking another cruise aboard her. Would love to go to Bermuda in 2015 and her pricing is better than Royal Caribbean. Have to wonder: why is that?

To be honest with you I sailed the Veendam a couple of years ago. Would do it again but it doesn't line up with work deadlines. I would not sail on the Statendam again.

To be honest with you I sailed the Veendam a couple of years ago. Would do it again but it doesn't line up with work deadlines. I would not sail on the Statendam again.

I appreciate your comment.

My Veendam objections: the Lanai Cabins depriving deck chair locations for those of us who will not book such cabins; the Retreat area and the Movie Screen, the addition of the cabins at the stern requiring an alteration of a classic stern, and I have to wonder about stability issues as a result of such an alteration. And, for all of the S class ships, I have never been a fan of the alterations that were made in the Crow's Nest. Those chairs at the bar are simply uncomfortable and the space in the venue has become too crowded!

Having sailed on Maasdam and Veendam in their original configurations, I am looking forward to my Statendam sailing on her final voyage for HAL.

I appreciate your comment.

My Veendam objections: the Lanai Cabins depriving deck chair locations for those of us who will not book such cabins; the Retreat area and the Movie Screen, the addition of the cabins at the stern requiring an alteration of a classic stern, and I have to wonder about stability issues as a result of such an alteration. And, for all of the S class ships, I have never been a fan of the alterations that were made in the Crow's Nest. Those chairs at the bar are simply uncomfortable and the space in the venue has become too crowded!

Having sailed on Maasdam and Veendam in their original configurations, I am looking forward to my Statendam sailing on her final voyage for HAL.

I don't disagree with you. I sailed on the Veendam after the modification so never had a chance to see it before.