Veendam 9/29/2014 Canceled

carolcp

I do wonder what is the issue. The Maasdam ran over a lobster pot(s) this year and she kept in sailing with only one unscheduled overnight repair. To cancel two weeks, if true, must be something bigger than seal replacement. The things I can think of is they lost the screw, issue with the prop shaft, electric drive motor or something related to the operation of the ABB motor. My bet there is an issue with the drive control of the electric motor. That would be something they would need to have parts delivered to port. The prop shaft or screw is drydock only and that will take her out of service for easily a month.

Edited by TheEmerson

When I was on board the captain said the board was working, but the propeller wasn't responding correctly to what they were telling it to do. We moved berth locations with the aid of tugs. One propeller is working fine. The captain decided to err on the side of safety. He didn't want problems to occur while we were at sea. He did the right thing.

I live in Quebec City. They move the ship to another location because this week it is the biggest cruise week in Quebec. So if the ship stayed where it was it was a mess as oct 03 the piers are all full with 5 cruise ships in town. Scuba divers are working on it right now. Holland America is trying to avoid drydock. Will see and keep posting as soon as i have more news

Edited by iata

I live in Quebec City. They move the ship to another location because this week it is the biggest cruise week in Quebec. So if the ship stayed where it was it was a mess as oct 03 the piers are all full with 5 cruise ships in town. Scuba divers are working on it right now. Holland America is trying to avoid drydock. Will see and keep posting as soon as i have more news

Thanks for the personal update! Please let us know what you hear as it goes along.

Bill

iata, do you know where it's been towed?

Heard on the radio this am that it was going to be towed into drydock for repairs, not sure how accurate but it didn't sound like the fix was going to be easy at any rate.

I wonder at what point they run out of time to get to Boston in time for the next cruise?

The ship has been moved just to the other side of the pier in the riviere St. Charles. You can see it on marinetraffic.com. I estimate it needs 65 hours at 18 knots to get to Boston so it needs to leave Quebec late Thursday to reach Boston on time for the Oct 4 sailing. We are booked on that trip and have heard nothing from Holland America. previous post says they still plan to sail, we'll see.

Great to have live, on site reports from previous poster in Quebec :confused:

How disappointing for those booked on the cruise. Imagine having just embarked, unpacked and enjoying your first day and then not leaving port.

I wonder if this will impact the remaining Canada/New England cruises this season?

How disappointing for those booked on the cruise. Imagine having just embarked, unpacked and enjoying your first day and then not leaving port.

I wonder if this will impact the remaining Canada/New England cruises this season?

I agree with you, Gail. How disappointing for the ship guests. Why Laura S. had to make this a sticky beats me. :( We don't need her doing tuff like this.

It is pier 30 by the st-Charles river, but no new updates, scuba divers still working on it. My next cruise leave Quebec City oct 03 from pier 30 so will see if the veendam still there and thay might have to move the Legend to another pier but they seems to be all full on october 03. They have hope to repair the problem ontime for the oct 4 cruise.

I feel so badly for the disappointed cruisers.

We sailed Veendam last summer and I was a bit apprehensive but found the ship great. Hopefully they can get back onto schedule in time for next week's cruise.

Most important, of course, is for everyone to be safe.