Veendam 9/29/2014 Canceled

carolcp

The gist of it is that they're working round-the-clock on repairs (tag-team divers), trying to avoid a drydock. Still don't know when it will be complete. People being transported by bus or train to Montreal for flights out of YUL, but as they say there are only so many buses so some people are still on the ship.

If the ship doesn't leave Quebec tonight. it won't arrive in Boston on Oct 4. It is a 65 hour trip at 18 knots.

As of 1 PM, Oct 1 the ship is still at the dock. Either HAL thinks it will be ready to go soon, or they are delinquent in cancelling the Oct 4 trip. We fortunately live in Boston so are flexible. I bet it's canceled later today.

Was anybody else annoyed about how Holland America was so secretive about travel arrangements to the Montreal airport when this weeks cruise from Quebec City was canceled?

Somebody in management in the corporate office or on in ship is power hungry and wanted to keep all information from the passengers. A simple PA announcement saying busses early Tuesday morning to Montreal were being arranged so that we could make late morning flights would have been useful. Instead they kept us in the dark and made us anxious and angry. Clearly the company has no procedures from calmly handling cancelations or they were totally ignored on this ship.

The only one who ever kept us informed was the captain when the propeller problem was being diagnosed and the need for major repairs were found.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Don't jump to blaming the officers/crew on the ship. Most of those sort of decisions

possibly could be made in Headquarters and like all who work for major corporations,

they follow home office instructions. I understand your frustration and likely would feel the same

as you but have hung around cruise ships long enough to have learned sometimes we blame

the wrong people when things aren't exactly how we'd like. :rolleyes:

Very sorry for your cancelled cruise and disappointment. None of us would be happy.

Edited by sail7seas

If the ship doesn't leave Quebec tonight. it won't arrive in Boston on Oct 4. It is a 65 hour trip at 18 knots.

As of 1 PM, Oct 1 the ship is still at the dock. Either HAL thinks it will be ready to go soon, or they are delinquent in cancelling the Oct 4 trip. We fortunately live in Boston so are flexible. I bet it's canceled later today.

if they think the ship will be fixed in the next 36 hours, they could cancel 1 port and make this a 6 day cruise out of Boston...

KruzPrincess

The captain on the Veendam is Christopher Norman.

Ah, now the blog posting makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.

:confused: Who is Captain? Captain Albert or Captain Norman?

Edited by sail7seas

Captain Norman is the Captain on the Veendam.

Captain Albert is on board as a training officer to train the crew in the new alarm system and other matters pertaining to the lifeboats. He explains what he is doing in his blog better than I can. Also, in yesterday's post, he has a good explanation of the problem, the fix and why they cannot reinstate any ports.

Sorry that your cruise had to be cancelled.

But the captain has to do as he is instructed from Seattle. It is frustrating and I know we would have been frustrated as well under those conditions.

No one planned for the propeller to break down.

Things happen and we have to deal with it.

Communications are hard to get straightened out on short notice.

I think someone on the ship can take the blame for some of the problems though it is not likely that it is anyone I met. Having lower level people record passenger airport travel information near the front office to keep the front office lines from getting too long was very sensible but unfortunately not giving them a clip board and a form to record that information maximized the chance that the information would be lost. My information was actual lost three times including the later recording of it on a fairly sensible sheet in the Showroom At Sea. A company procedure including a travel information spreadsheet form should have started recording that information before noon on Tuesday so that passengers would have some confidence that HAL and the ship's management had things under control.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I keep thinking I should be doing something - like figuring out Plan B - but I hate to make all new plans until I know soemthing...... :rolleyes:

I know the feeling - since we're also leaving on Friday (technically tomorrow evening since we're spending night near airport) I'm packing for a cruise. Think we'll just spend some time in Boston for 4-5 days if it falls through. With WAY too many clothes.

I arrived home yesterday afternoon. I was impressed by the crew at Veendam's Front Office. They were in a very tough position.

I took two photos of the tug boat Ocean K Rusby pulling the paralyzed Holland America Veendam in Quebec harbor on 9/28/2014.

Tug boat pulls paralyzed Veendam

Tug boat pulls paralyzed Veendam

Just got off the phone with a HAL rep, and she said we are set to sail. She said she just got an email saying the situation had been resolved and we are sailing on the 4th as scheduled.

Great news!

Surgery today is over, kidney stone is gone, and so am I on Friday!:)

Bill

Captain Norman is the Captain on the Veendam.

Captain Albert is on board as a training officer to train the crew in the new alarm system and other matters pertaining to the lifeboats. He explains what he is doing in his blog better than I can. Also, in yesterday's post, he has a good explanation of the problem, the fix and why they cannot reinstate any ports.

Thanks,, Quartsite Cruiser. :)

Just got off the phone with a HAL rep, and she said we are set to sail. She said she just got an email saying the situation had been resolved and we are sailing on the 4th as scheduled.

Great news!

Bill

Good news!

Happy for you on both accounts.

Seems you've had more than enough stress this week and you are READY to cruise. :)

Hope you have a great time. It's a wonderful itinerary.

Good news!

Happy for you on both accounts.

Seems you've had more than enough stress this week and you are READY to cruise. :)

Hope you have a great time. It's a wonderful itinerary.

Thanks Sail7Seas! It is an exciting time for me on both counts. We are doing two 7 day back to backs on the Veendam, so should be very relaxing.

We did the Maasdam, Boston to Montreal to Boston, b-to-b summer after summer. We love that cruise and it is, indeed, relaxing though the six ports in seven days can keep one very busy if they want. We didn't want. :D

If you like shellfish, be sure to eat lobster in Halifax and mussels in Charlottetown. Those are the two places you will get just about the best there is.

Edited by sail7seas

Very good news, although I'll feel better when the Veendam is actually moving. Right now marinetraffic still shows it moored. I also wonder if there are still some passengers on board who couldn't get alternate arrangements.

Roy

Very good news, although I'll feel better when the Veendam is actually moving. Right now marinetraffic still shows it moored. I also wonder if there are still some passengers on board who couldn't get alternate arrangements.

Roy

It will be interesting to learn if they let the b-to-b guests remain on for the sail to Boston so they could do the return to Quebec City. Hope someone will post when they learn some details.

Great news!

Bill

That's great news! I hope you enjoy the next couple of weeks. Glad the surgery went well also - all coming up roses, it seems.

It will be interesting to learn if they let the b-to-b guests remain on for the sail to Boston so they could do the return to Quebec City. Hope someone will post when they learn some details.

This morning on the news, here in Quebec, they said there was still 200 pax onboard and they were being "evacuated" this morning.

I saw on the news a couple who said they were scheduled for the b2b and they had to leave yesterday.

They will have to put "the pedal" to the floor to get to Boston...this ride will not be pleasant for anyone onboard...

Plus I do not know if they restock the ship with fresh food and all the fixings they need to travel ???

Hope everything is for the best for all,

Safe sailing to the pax sailing out of Boston !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app