Veendam 9/29/2014 Canceled

carolcp

It took us three hours plus to get to Montreal due to bad weather.

As for asking several times to be put on the list, I actually only had to ask once to be put on the list once they made the announcement. I asked several times if there would be a bus just to make sure that they kept giving me the same answer and there was no misunderstanding. All in all, it went very smoothly for me. I was home in less than 24 hours. Part of that, though, I contribute to being a little aggressive and making my own plans. A lot of people were still on the ship waiting for someone to help them. I think you need to be a savvy traveler as well as lucky. As a sidenote, the people who booked their travel arrangements through Holland America were given assistance with their change plans. They were told to wait in their cabins for their change plans to be delivered to them. I booked my own air, so It was up to me to make my own changes.

As for the taxi, I'm not sure if they would've paid for that. The letter did not say transportation costs. It said it would cover change cost and hotel. We also got a letter that said if costs were going to be over $500 that we needed to get preapproval. Someone on my bus, said they hired a car to get to Quebec City pre-cruise and it cost $700. Also, there were not a lot of taxis there. There weren't any taxis when I went out to get on the bus. I'm not sure any taxi would have taken you for a 3 hour drive because they'd never be able to get a fare back. That's why I wanted to be sure they would be having a bus.

Thanks, KruzPrincess.

You addressed exactly that about which I was curious.

You did excellent for yourself. You are safely home with reasonable travel arrangements. Well done! Sorry for the disappointment and hopefully you'll have a wonderful new cruise to look forward to.

It took us three hours plus to get to Montreal due to bad weather.

As for asking several times to be put on the list, I actually only had to ask once to be put on the list once they made the announcement. I asked several times if there would be a bus just to make sure that they kept giving me the same answer and there was no misunderstanding. All in all, it went very smoothly for me. I was home in less than 24 hours. Part of that, though, I contribute to being a little aggressive and making my own plans. A lot of people were still on the ship waiting for someone to help them. I think you need to be a savvy traveler as well as lucky. As a sidenote, the people who booked their travel arrangements through Holland America were given assistance with their change plans. They were told to wait in their cabins for their change plans to be delivered to them. I booked my own air, so It was up to me to make my own changes.

As for the taxi, I'm not sure if they would've paid for that. The letter did not say transportation costs. It said it would cover change cost and hotel. We also got a letter that said if costs were going to be over $500 that we needed to get preapproval. Someone on my bus, said they hired a car to get to Quebec City pre-cruise and it cost $700. Also, there were not a lot of taxis there. There weren't any taxis when I went out to get on the bus. I'm not sure any taxi would have taken you for a 3 hour drive because they'd never be able to get a fare back. That's why I wanted to be sure they would be having a bus.

Glad you are home safe and sound.

The relevant blog of Captain Albert has been removed, also deleted from the archives. This is very strange since it in no way reflects badly on HAL.

Courtesy of Lizzie68 the following is the deleted blog:

Isn't strange that Captain Albert has nothing on his blog the last couple, unles head office has told him to be quiet. This wouldn't be the first time that has happened.:rolleyes:

Isn't strange that Captain Albert has nothing on his blog the last couple, unles head office has told him to be quiet. This wouldn't be the first time that has happened.:rolleyes:

Yes. I have noted that as well. And, I have wondered why.

I can't find the veendam on marinetraffic.com today. Could have turned off AIS transponder but that seems strange. Does anyone know if it is still docked in Quebec?:confused:

It left Quebec early this morning in direction of Philly

There are a few spots on the St-Lawrence where the AIS is not being picked-up...

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

It was announced on the HAL website " For Booked Guests " a Veendam travel advisory that the Oct 11th sailing was also cancelled and that the ship is going under its own power without guests from Quebec to Philadelphia where the dry dock work will take place .

I see Veendam on AIS making just over 16 knots in the St. Lawrence; ETA at Quaker City (Aker Shipyard I presume, the former Philadelphia Navy Yard) given as Oct 8th at 16.00 UDT.

She is now way passed the "whale zone" of Tadoussac, and now entering the St-Lawrence golf...

Everything is looking on schedule for the ETA in Philly !

Fingers crossed for all of you sailing on her from FLL !

He is being censored.

I have written a long nasty gram to Seattle for it, too.

Thankfully, I had his missing report by email, and I posted it earlier in this thread. There was nothing at all in it that justified the deletion from the blog, or subsequent censorship.

Thankfully, I had his missing report by email, and I posted it earlier in this thread. There was nothing at all in it that justified the deletion from the blog, or subsequent censorship.

I'm pretty positive there was another post, entirely unrelated to any current ship in the fleet, deleted too.

I'm pretty positive there was another post, entirely unrelated to any current ship in the fleet, deleted too.

You could be right, but I don't recall anything since the post that appeared October 1st (written on Sept 30th). Since then - an ominous silence.:(

It looks to me like the ship might have reached Philadelphia.

What do you think Sebas030??

Currently moving .3 knots perpendicular to the channel. I think Veendam is entering the drydock as I type.

Roy

It looks to me like the ship might have reached Philadelphia.

What do you think Sebas030??

Yes she is there. She managed an average of almost 17knots while at sea..with one propeller ? that's fast :eek:

Now we wish the shipyard had a live cam to look at the repairs !!

Wonder how long it actually takes to install the supports and empty the dry dock ?

I very much doubt she made the trip from Quebec to Phila on one propeller. Though the variable pitch function had failed which would limit manueuvering and astern capabilities as well as a full range of speed control, I'd bet that while in Quebec they were able to set the propeller in a fixed position to permit it's use on the trip.

Yes she is there. She managed an average of almost 17knots while at sea..with one propeller ? that's fast :eek:

Now we wish the shipyard had a live cam to look at the repairs !!

Wonder how long it actually takes to install the supports and empty the dry dock ?

I wonder if it was actually just one propeller. It sounds like the problem was in the pitch adjustment mechanism, so the second prop MAY have been functional on a high speed run but not useful in maneuvering and possibly not predictable enough for use with passengers on board.

I do sure wish there was a webcam. It would also be great to have an on scene reporter to confirm that it is actually in the drydock and not just waiting for another ship to leave.

Roy

I believe the propeller in question is a Kemewa (originally a Swedish company, currently owned by Rolls Royce) and still very much is use today so hopefully the Quebec evaluation identified the needed parts which are already at Philadelphia or enroute. Assuming that I expect it will be a very quick turnaround in dry dock unless HAL decides to take advantage of the dry docking to do some other work, which seems unlikely.

The shaft-driven propellers were last used by HAL on the current Rotterdam, the next newbuild Amsterdam went to azipods. Initially azipods experienced quite a few problems for several cruise lines and cancelled cruises were not unheard of, but I think those problems are solved to where now the azipods have reached the reliability of conventional shaft drive such as Veendam has. Certainly what Veendam experienced is a VERY uncommon failure.

Edited by Dave in NJ