Veendam 9/29/2014 Canceled

carolcp

This morning on the news, here in Quebec, they said there was still 200 pax onboard and they were being "evacuated" this morning.

I saw on the news a couple who said they were scheduled for the b2b and they had to leave yesterday.

They will have to put "the pedal" to the floor to get to Boston...this ride will not be pleasant for anyone onboard...

Plus I do not know if they restock the ship with fresh food and all the fixings they need to travel ???

Hope everything is for the best for all,

Safe sailing to the pax sailing out of Boston !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Wow, thanks for the update.

That is really lousy for the folks who waited it out on board hoping to at least have the second segment of their cruise. I feel bad for all of the disappointed guests.

It is rainy very heavily here in Boston and is expected to continue until mid morning tomorrow. I expect it will be an bumpy ride. Not much wind here though so that should help.

Safe sailing to all aboard.

This makes me sad. She was looking so beautiful after her dry-dock for our Aug. 16 cruise. Other than The Retreat, which is unfortunate, after 2 trips on her I do not understand the enmity for her. We are booked on her for a December Circle Hawaii and are looking forward to her and her crew.

Just got off the phone with a HAL rep, and she said we are set to sail. She said she just got an email saying the situation had been resolved and we are sailing on the 4th as scheduled.

Great news!

Surgery today is over, kidney stone is gone, and so am I on Friday!:)

Bill

Wonderful news on both counts! Anxiously watching Live Ships Map to see her on the move.

You mean the lack of one? I also don't see the original one that was posted from the 30th. Am I missing something, or is it really gone?

That's really interesting - but I still have it via email. Guess they can't take that back, LOL! Here it is, but no graphics:

29 September 2014; Quebec, 4th day.

Posted: 30 Sep 2014 04:26 PM PDT

And then the captain came on the tannoy late in the evening, advising us that we were not going anywhere. The small technical issue turned out to be a major technical issue that affected the correct operation of one of the propellers. All the regulatory agencies had come on board in the evening and after due consideration had shaken their wise heads. Thus the decision was made that the cruise had to be cancelled and all guests would have to go home tomorrow or in the coming days, depending on what travel arrangements could be made in due course.

I must applaud my company here as it did not stint on compensation. As a result there was hardly any negative buzzing going on at all in the ship. I just feel sorry for the Front Office who will now have to face the burden of dealing with 1200 travel arrangements or offering support to those who make their own arrangements. Apart from that, the guests have to get to Montreal airport, Quebec airport or Boston airport and that means lots of shuttle buses. I think somewhere a coach company is going to be very HAPPY.

On the other side the Seattle Technical has to gear up very quickly now to get labor and material in place to repair the propeller issue.

By means of pipes with oil under hydraulic pressure running through the hollow shafts a pump changes the setting of the blades the setting

By means of pipes with oil under hydraulic pressure running through the hollow shafts a pump changes the setting of the blades the setting

We have Pitch Propellers, which means that we change the scoop, the setting of the blades to go faster, slower or astern. Something is wrong with the blades not following the orders given on the bridge console and it is inside the propeller housing. Thus divers have to be flown in by charter plane with all their equipment and they will remove the Hub

The conical end, the hub, protects the connection between the blades and the shaft. (Both images from the internet, courtesy submarineboat)

The conical end, the hub, protects the connection between the blades and the shaft. (Both images from the internet, courtesy submarineboat)

(that is the conical end of the shaft to which the propeller blades are connected) and look inside to see what the matter is. Parts are on the way as well and hopefully by tomorrow they can work on it.

This evening the ship was moved, partly by using the other propeller and thrusters and partly by the aid of two strong tugboats to the side harbor. I was docked there with the Maasdam 10 days ago. For the guests it is not a great place to be, as explained before, but for the ship it is good. Especially now with the need for diving operations. The side harbor is out of the main current of the river and that is needed as otherwise diving would not be possible. There is still tide of course but there is no flow through of water. In the same way as when you fill a bucket of water. The water rushes of out the hose but as soon as it enters the bucket, only the level rises and there is no more flow.

It will depend on the time the repair takes when we will leave Quebec. We need to get back to Boston on time for the next cruise and that means leaving as early as possible. The sooner we go the less speed we have to make and the smoother the ride as it is still very wobbly out there. So wobbly that the deck department was on station for most of the day as the wind blew in over the St. Lawrence with 50 knots at times. Mostly it pushed us against the dock but the angle moved once in a while, putting a lot of strain on the mooring ropes.

So tomorrow we will still be in Quebec and we have to keep our fingers crossed and hope the repairs will go well. 04 October is still some days away but we have to sail all the way around Nova Scotia to get there, a distance for which we normally have several nights available.

The weather for tomorrow is bad, turning to horrible with rain and strong winds. I will be staying a week longer now to finish the Lifeboat Assistant Classes, as the ports where we had planned the practicals, have all been cancelled so I have to wait for next cruise. I will fill that time with extra trainings and a lot of review work for the Captain.

Edited by Lizzie68

On the news in Quebec City. Veendam receive parts for the repair. They will run test tomorrow. If not working perfectly they wîl have to tow the ship again as pier 30 is needed tomorrow for Legend of the Seas.

On the news in Quebec City. Veendam receive parts for the repair. They will run test tomorrow. If not working perfectly they wîl have to tow the ship again as pier 30 is needed tomorrow for Legend of the Seas.

:eek:

And they also said today that pier 30 is the ONLY pier where they can dive to fix the problem. The other piers are in the current and prevent divers from performing their task....

Hope the test goes well !

If the Veendam doesn't sail until tomorrow, there is no way it can be in Boston for a Saturday departure. The distance is 1170 nautical miles. Even at an average of 20 knots ( unlikely) , it's almost a 60 hour trip. Best case would be boarding Sunday.

I checked today's entry on Captain Albert's blog but he doesn't discuss the Veendam at all. His post on the problem is still there, in the October archives.

Sounds like tomorrow will be the decisive day, go or no go.:confused:

Edited by lbkjj

Last news, it's in french so use google translation

http://ici.radio-canada.ca/regions/quebec/2014/10/01/002-veendam-bris-croisiere-bateau-port-quebec.shtml

Hope for the best tomorrow. As soon as i know it is repair and tested and good to go i'll post the good news

Thanks to you both. :)

Oh for heaven's sake. So frustrating. :confused:

Just looked at Live Ships Map and it's definitely moved locations and is stationary at present. Maybe they needed to relocate it get it away from other ships to do the tests?? Still don't see how it can get to Boston in time for next sailing

Edited by silveranniversary
more info

Not looking good. Veendam is now headed UPSTREAM on the St. Lawrence; it looks like with tug assistance.

Roy

Yes, and I think I know why !

In the news article posted last night at 7pm in french, it was said " the port of Quebec needs the pier where the Veendam is for Legend of the Seas a the latest on Thursday at 10am"

Also : " if the Veendam is still mechanically disable it will be towed to Anse au Foulon" ... guess where it is now...yep at Anse au Foulon.

So by deduction, the ship is not ready to leave Quebec, and since it was towed to Anse au Foulon, well I guess it is still disabled...

Six ship will be in Quebec this weekend ( a record ) and they simply do not have a place for the Veendam except for the industrial pier where they towed it this morning...

At 7:15 AM it is tied up at a new dock about 2 miles upstream ( towards Montreal) from original dock. It took a direct, slow route and didn't do any speed tests as far as I can tell from the tracking info.

This move is consistent with previous info that the Port needed the dock space for ships arriving today.

This is a public relations fiasco for HAL, especially telling a fellow blogger the ship has left Quebec.