Breakaway embarkment lunch in MDR

long Island

Don't waste your time. The lunch served in the MDR was really bad. Choices were extremely limited, mostly sandwiches and the quality was poor. The buffet for lunch was a far better choice.

Question: How crowded is the buffet? I don't want to be trampled for piece of lettuce on embarkment day... If it's too crowded, is O'Sheenan a good choice too?

Don't waste your time. The lunch served in the MDR was really bad. Choices were extremely limited, mostly sandwiches and the quality was poor. The buffet for lunch was a far better choice.

I completely disagree. Eat in the main dining room if you like, I have never found the embarkation day menu limited and never poor quality. That being said, the buffet is also quite extensive and high quality as well. Go to both if you like! :D

I am another in favour of the main dining room on embarkation day. To me it is a relaxing way to start the cruise. It would be rare for me to ever eat a meal in the buffet and it would certainly never be at one of the most busiest times of the cruise.

If you are unsure you can always stop by the dining room and have a look at the menu before you are seated. If nothing appeals to you head off to another location. That;s the great thing about a cruise...always lots of choices for everyone! :)

Have a great trip!

Rochelle

The mdr on embark day is quite special

Uncrowded quiet and a great way to unwind and start off your cruise

Yes the menu is just so so. However IMHO that is they way it is throughout the entire cruise

Yes most of the wait staff are not warm and fuzzy ( some are of course) but I don't particularly care to engage them in extended conversation anyway

Please. Thank you and have a nice day in addition to any questions about the menu I may have are enough for me

The chicken Milanese is exceptional btw!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I completely disagree. Eat in the main dining room if you like, I have never found the embarkation day menu limited and never poor quality. That being said, the buffet is also quite extensive and high quality as well. Go to both if you like! :D

When was your last cruise on Breakaway?

I usually love the MDR lunch and looked so forward to it on Breakaway. The menu is completely different and consists mainly of sandwiches (a burger, a shrimp patty, a chicken sandwich). There were literally two actual entrees- one was a pasta dish that was terrible. I forget the other one. It used to be a very nice menu. Now, not so much.

Depends on when you board. If you go to the buffet around 11-12pm, it won't be so bad. Around 2pm will be a zoo. I think O'Sheehans was pretty crowded but the food there was very good.

And I disagree that "that's the way it is the whole cruise". We found the MDRs to be very, very good on Breakaway in May and we thought the choices were very varied and good. We did not have that same feeling on the lunch menu- bland, boring food, limited choices. I am typically one to eat at the MDR for lunch whenever possible- but definitely not a few months ago on Breakaway.

I know food and service is subjective especially on embarkment day where people are traveling same day from wherever they are from to the Breakaway. Anything will taste good when you're lugging your bag(s) around with you through the x-ray machines plus the long lines and all you want is alcohol drink or coffee along with something to fill you up and unfaze my nerves. All I really want is a place(s) to get food without a mad dash nor a push and shove, then MDR or O'Sheenan is where I plan to go. I don't mind a cold or lukewarm sandwich that day, as long as I have a beverage to wash it down. :)

We usually head to the MDR or OSheehans for lunch. Service varies as they are trying to get the ship turned over, BUT we have NEVER had bad service. Is's fun, and I get a kick out of finishing lunch, and NOT having to wait or worry about the check. Feels like you are sneaking out of a restaurant without paying. LOL. The buffet is wonderful too, but depending on what time you board, it may be very crowded. Upon entering the ship, they do try to send everybody into the buffet. Check everyplace out...and don't forget the "dirty water" hotdogs from the cart......

Safe sailing

Been on the Breakaway twice and we enjoyed eating int he MDR for lunch. The Chicken Milanese was very good. The service was what you would expect. We boarded around 11 a.m.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

When was your last cruise on BA? In May, they no longer had the previous lunch menu that included the chicken Milanese. I loved that dish also. That was on the "old" menu not the newly refreshed menu launched in May.

Ate in savor on embarkment day. We just felt it was a great way to celebrate starting our cruise. With that said the lunch was not very good. We ate in the Manhattan room may times for dinner during the week and loved it. will I do it again on embarkment day! Yep. It's more for the relaxation and cheers to a great cruise. Kind of our new tradition on every cruise we take.

When was your last cruise on Breakaway?

I usually love the MDR lunch and looked so forward to it on Breakaway. The menu is completely different and consists mainly of sandwiches (a burger, a shrimp patty, a chicken sandwich). There were literally two actual entrees- one was a pasta dish that was terrible. I forget the other one. It used to be a very nice menu. Now, not so much.

Depends on when you board. If you go to the buffet around 11-12pm, it won't be so bad. Around 2pm will be a zoo. I think O'Sheehans was pretty crowded but the food there was very good.

I was recently on the Breakaway for a lunch tour. We had lunch in the Manhattan Room and it was fantastic. I also stopped at the buffet and can tell you that the seafood chowder was one of the best I've ever had. I am sailing on the Breakaway this Sunday. I'll report back and let you know my impressions of the embarkation lunch in the MDR.

The lunch for the tour in the Manhattan Room is a FAR different lunch from the one served to paying guests in Taste or Savor. I have had that tour lunch as a TA and it is excellent (menu items from the speciality restaurants). The new menu served at Taste or Savor for cruise passengers is not good. Poor quality, low choice and the Milanese is sadly, gone. But, yes, it is peaceful and quiet. Let me know what you think after you try it. I agree that the quality of food in the buffet up for lunch is very, very good and much better and more varied than the MDR lunch.

The lunch for the tour in the Manhattan Room is a FAR different lunch from the one served to paying guests in Taste or Savor. I have had that tour lunch as a TA and it is excellent (menu items from the speciality restaurants). The new menu served at Taste or Savor for cruise passengers is not good. Poor quality, low choice and the Milanese is sadly, gone. But, yes, it is peaceful and quiet. Let me know what you think after you try it. I agree that the quality of food in the buffet up for lunch is very, very good and much better and more varied than the MDR lunch.

That's disappointing to hear. We are booked for dinner in the Manhattan room on the first night (at 5:30) and then we are going to the Circque Jungle Fantasy Dinner (at 8:30) so I am not sure where we'll do lunch. But I'll definitely check out the embarkation lunch menus and report back.;)