Tipping...Is it a cultural thing?

dulcemariamar

Absolutely cultural. America is the only country I have visited where tipping is essentially required. Every other country I have visited it's been an optional thing.

In Australia where I am from the minimum wage for a waiter is around $20 an hour, more for weekends and holidays. In the US I think it's around $7. So here the customer does not need to subsidize the workers wage with tips. The level of service you get is different because of it, you don't have overly boisterous people talking to you every five minutes and interrupting your meal constantly to ask how your meal is. People give good customer service because they want to, and they want to keep your job. If you have poor service you vote with your feet and just don't go back, so nice places with poor service don't last long. If someone goes above and beyond you might give them some extra money, but usually the protocol when paying cash is to just round up, mainly because you look like a tight wad waiting for $2 change.

When I'm in the US I just tip around 15-20%, and a few bucks to porters and things. But to be honest I find it strange, I'm used to just doing things for myself so when I go to a hotel and there is a whole person who's job it is just to open the door for you, I find it a bit much. It's the same on cruises, I prefer to just take my own luggage and things off the ship, I find it so much easier and more convenient. I did the normal leave your bags out thing once and it was horrible, having to sit around in the dining room for 2 hours waiting for your turn to get off the ship, then searching lines of luggage for your own, just to save you the "effort" of rolling your own bag 200m down a hallway.

Absolutely a cultural thing. Here in finland we just dont normally tip. If something is very good you might tip a very small sum, lets say under 5 prosent.

The thinking goes like this. When you pay for service it is supposed to be good without tipping. It is the firms own business how they create the good service and if the service is good it is a credit to the firm rather than to the one employer. Also we dont want to be served good just for the money. Like lipservice. I hate to think that if a waiter is a good one she is good only because she is hoping for extra pay. You are supposed to be a good worker without extra incentives. It is a work ethic question. You are supposed to work your best because you have pride in what you do, not because you have extra money in your eyes.

Now I think that that is way here things happen punctually and more accurately that for example in southern europe.

Its the same in factories. A finnish worker works his best if he is not overly much adviced and overly told what to do. As we are all equal or at least like to think so, everyone has to be treated equal and tipping enforces the idea that someone has the money and power with it.

That having said we do tip in other countries, but only reluctantly and dont feel good about it.

So here dont tip so much. Instead be respectful, verbally thank and be prepared to do many things yourself. The same goes probably for all the nordic countries plus estonia,

Like for example I could never let anyone clean my sunglasses on board as it would disrespectful to the employer in my eyes as I can perfectly well clean my own sunglasses.

In Brazil , a 10 percent service charge is included in the bill and no more is expected.

I had a long talk while in Amsterdam with a waiter and he said basically only Americans tip . Europeans just round up.

I think that when Americans go overseas , the local custom should be followed , otherwise I find it rather " paternalistic".

In London, tipping is pretty much expected at a restaurant (if they've not already hit you with a 12.5% service charge). It's generally more like a 10% tip.

We'll round up to the pound in a taxi for a short journey, more depending on the situation.

One place I personally never tip in the UK is for porters. Mainly because the smallest note we have is £5, and handing over coins seems awkward. I'm probably just being weird! Of course, if we had lots of bags £5 would be fine- but we only ever have 1 each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm convinced that tipping is the only reason the US $1 note is still around, so porters don't need to juggle handfuls of coins :D

You know I was only thinking that today. I can't imagine that they'd like 100 people giving them a "skippy" [or $1 coin] their pants would fall down from the weight.

Yes, it is definitely a cultural thing in my opinion, and mostly and American thing.

I tip generously when the service has been exceptional, and less so, or even not at all, when it has been poor. If it has been REALLY poor (which is unusual in my experience), I would always complain at the time too, to give an opportunity to rectify the situation.

I do follow the gratuity rules while cruising, because not only are my expectations often exceeded, but also because I believe that everyone should know before booking a cruise what the expectations are regarding tips, and if they disagree so strongly about complying, they should perhaps choose a different kind of vacation. I do however believe that cruise companies exploit the situation and use it as an excuse to pay low wages.

"Waitress complained on FB."

sorry but I find this FB stuff a bit much. run to FB and complain about everything!:confused: talk about what I ate today...dah

sorry a bit off topic;)

FWIW I completely agree with you. But how many can say they have an 'at home travel story?' :D

Minimum wage for waitstaff in California is around $2-$3. The rest is made up with tips. If they don't reach the regular minimum wage then the employer is supposed to make up the difference. The waitstaff is supposed to report their tips to the employee and they have to pay taxes on the whole tip amount (minimally based on 15% of the amount of their tickets) , even though they've tipped out the bussers and cooks.

Edited by SadieN

I'm from New Zealand where we don't tip, and our recent cruise and trip around Italy was fraught with should we tip her? how much? is it included? should we tip on top if it is? Our ship gratuities were prepaid but we wanted to give our waiters and room stewards extra. NO idea if we over or under tipped. Same with our tour guides in Italy, some of us tipped, some didn't, we might have been sen as cheapskates, we might have been seen as generous LOL.

In NZ tipping is creeping in - most cafes/restaurants have a tip jar on the counter. I don't think I've ever put anything in one though. Waiters and waitresses get paid at least minimum wage though (NZ$14.25)

I'm from New Zealand where we don't tip, and our recent cruise and trip around Italy was fraught with should we tip her? how much? is it included? should we tip on top if it is? Our ship gratuities were prepaid but we wanted to give our waiters and room stewards extra. NO idea if we over or under tipped. Same with our tour guides in Italy, some of us tipped, some didn't, we might have been sen as cheapskates, we might have been seen as generous LOL.

In NZ tipping is creeping in - most cafes/restaurants have a tip jar on the counter. I don't think I've ever put anything in one though. Waiters and waitresses get paid at least minimum wage though (NZ$14.25)

I have the same problem.

BTW a friend of my daughter works in a bar. She's been there about 6 years [while at uni] and is on $22.50/hr because this is Sunday it's double time, $44.50 per hour [tomorrow is a public holiday so $55.75] she reckons that today, Grandfinal day she'll pick up roughly $200 in tips even though no one is likely to give her more than the change on the price of a drink.

She also said that if the Rabbits win one bloke will probably give her a grand.

I have the same problem.

BTW a friend of my daughter works in a bar. She's been there about 6 years [while at uni] and is on $22.50/hr because this is Sunday it's double time, $44.50 per hour [tomorrow is a public holiday so $55.75] she reckons that today, Grandfinal day she'll pick up roughly $200 in tips even though no one is likely to give her more than the change on the price of a drink.

She also said that if the Rabbits win one bloke will probably give her a grand.

Did he?

I have always tipped, and yes as so many posters have stated it is probably an American thing.

But, how would one rexcognize great service and pay respect when it is not expected??

I realize other countries give bigger wages, but, just confuses me.

So if I do a Mediteranean cruise in the future:D, so not to upset anyone how would I know where and when to tip?????

Thanks

Sea Ya

Yes tipping is a cultural thing. However, on cruise ships it is considered part of the salary and DH and I consider it mandatory unless someone does something really unforgiving (which has not happened). For exceptional service many Americans tip extra. So please do not consider it optional.

The US is the only place I know of where tipping is accepted and standard custom. People who shirk or don't tip at all are generally accorded a negative label, cheap. Other places vary about tips. Not uncommon is to add the tip as a service charge. One thing I believe is that it all balances out. In the US the charge for food and services is much less than Europe, so much so that even adding the standard tip you pay less total in the US.

Someone Who's Never Been To CANADA it SEEMS

your cousins to the north have tipping ingrained in our culture as well.:)

Yes Indeed

I have always tipped, and yes as so many posters have stated it is probably an American thing.

But, how would one rexcognize great service and pay respect when it is not expected??

I realize other countries give bigger wages, but, just confuses me.

So if I do a Mediteranean cruise in the future:D, so not to upset anyone how would I know where and when to tip?????

Thanks

Sea Ya

Well how to recognize great service, a "Thanks Mate" and maybe a word to the boss go a long way.