Celebrity cruiser tries Carnival (not yet!)

Tatka

With the change of our plans to visit Europe this November we had to book somethig quickly , the best itinerary, price and ship available was Carnival Liberty. The way this cruise planned Sunday - Saturday we can drive to FLL and back and even visit our friends on the way.

I know ... many people discussed here how Carnival is inferior to Celebrity, but we decided to give it a try on their newest ship. For our own good this experience better be nice!:D

If you still remember me ;) we have 13 yo , who might even enjoy "Fun Ship" experience more. (I heard late night disco is more active)

Anyway I will post about my experience and differences between the lines when we return.

Think a newer ship will probably be okay. We went on Celebration, which is I think, the oldest ship they have. I kept telling others in our group who had never cruised, that this was not a real cruise. Food was horrible. Service was so-so, and the ship was awful. Only thing that made it good was I was with 38 women and had a great time with all of them. Good luck!

With the change of our plans to visit Europe this November we had to book somethig quickly , the best itinerary, price and ship available was Carnival Liberty. The way this cruise planned Sunday - Saturday we can drive to FLL and back and even visit our friends on the way.

I know ... many people discussed here how Carnival is inferior to Celebrity, but we decided to give it a try on their newest ship. For our own good this experience better be nice!:D

If you still remember me ;) we have 13 yo , who might even enjoy "Fun Ship" experience more. (I heard late night disco is more active)

Anyway I will post about my experience and differences between the lines when we return.

I was on her sister ship, Glory, a few months ago. While it was better than my two previous CCL experiences, it was not a cruise I enjoyed overall.

It depends on your expectations, I think. IME, Carnival is dissimilar from X in every regard.

I have posted before but felt I had to post again. We have sailed both lines and while there are differences, Plus and minuses on BOTH sides , I would not hesitate to book a newer carnival ship again. As a matter of fact, I know we will! We enjoy both lines!:D

Thank you guys/gals for your posts.

I loved food and service on X... I understand I might not get similar experience.. I want to try how it will affect my overall experience.

Actually since I am on the diet (lost 35 lbs during last 5 month and weigh 124 lbs now) the worse food the better !!!! ;)

I guess if worst comes to worst Caribbean scenary and weather will make me happy anyway. :) (alternative was a cold rainy weather in Western Europe)

I think you'll have a great time. I've sailed Carnival & Celebrity and had wonderful cruises on each. Yes, I prefer Celebrity, but Carnival is a lot of fun, especially with a 13 year old.

Congratulations on the weight loss, you should be very proud! I've lost 22 pounds in the last few months, and I know how hard it is. I'm still no where near 124, but I'll get there!:)

Terri

Hi Terri!!! :D

Tatka, I also have a friend who has sailed both lines & she has said she loved the newer CAL ships! Now, she is only in her mid 30's, so she likes the "more action" on the CAL vs Celebrity. She rates Celeb's food higher along with their service & attention to detail, but expects a totally different experience when she sails each line. She has always told me if you know what to expect, you won't be disappointed!!!

Go, have fun & report back! ;)

I've cruised twice on Carnival (albeit several years ago now)...and, although I clearly prefer Celebrity, I wouldn't hesitate to go on Carnival--so long as it's a newer ship and the cruise is 7 nights or more...

There are certain things Carnival does VERY well...I thought the entertainment was great...When we last sailed them, they not only had a pretty good show each night but they also had an added midnight show 4 nights out of 7...Also, two comedians and a magician--so, for those of us who like to be entertained and tire of the same production shows over and over, this is not bad...

Also, they are very good with the kids...The ships we were on had pretty nice teen discos...which were always lively and well-attended...

The food was actually not as bad as some folks like to claim...In fact, though it may not be gourmet, it is definitely satisfying--and with plenty of choices--just like everyone else...

The ships tend to be a bit more crowded than X and you may have to show up very early for a decent seat at the show...but, hey, there are worse things...

I am still very convinced that ANY cruise is better than staying home...and working...

All of the cruise lines really pretty much do a lot of the same things--the concept doesn't change that much cruise line to cruise line...Sure, little things will be different, but, remember, they're just little things...

Basically: Get up, eat, go into port, eat, hang by the pool, eat, go to a show, eat, dance, gamble, karaoke, eat...back to your cabin and sleep it off...and start again the next day...It's no different on any of the lines...

If the itinerary and the deal works for you, don't worry about those small differences...Don't waste your time trying to compare everything to Celebrity...Just kick back and enjoy it for its own virtues...

Have fun...

I was on two Carnival ships within a month of each other last OCtober - Celebration and Miracle. Food was quite good and service was fine. No, it's not Celebrity but I was surprisingly pleased. The Miracle is very new and very nice. It's a little 'glitzy' but had a more sophisticated crowd than what one normally thinks of being on Carnival. My only complaint was that the main dining room was 'over the top' in decor.

Keep an open mind and you will enjoy Carnival!

Thanks guys/gals

You've made me even happier!:D

And thank you on congrats on the weight loss... It's not easy , but doable... and has great rewards! At least now I will have GOOD pictures of me from cruise! :)

Tatka,

I'll look forward to hearing about your experience on the Liberty. We've booked it for a Mediterranean cruise next summer. I really liked their 12-day itinerary--it goes to all the ports I want--especially an overnight stay in Venice!

(As you say, each line has it's positives. One of the best cruises I ever took was an 8-day Mexican Riveria cruise on the Spirit!)

I would have liked a smaller ship, but in this case the intineray was the deciding factor.

Sailed on the Triumph to Canada and Legend to nowhere. My only complaint is embarkation in NYC is an Ellis Island Expereince - 4 lines and there never seems to be Skippers Club Priority embarkation for those of us in suites. However, sailing from another port may be better.

We liked Carnival and found the food to be excellent. It is not Michel Roux, but is better than other cruise lines - such as RCCL.

They make dining fun and dress code is enforced, nor can anyone arrive more than half an hour late for dinner and be served (unlike the QM2 where anything goes).

They make dining fun and dress code is enforced, nor can anyone arrive more than half an hour late for dinner and be served (unlike the QM2 where anything goes).

The dres code was not enforced on my Glory cruise 3 months ago. There were a surprising number of pax in the formal dining room at dinner attired in shorts and tanks, ballcaps even, though this was expressly forbidden.

I prefer a quiet, intimate dinner to one where waiters dance on tables to loud piped in music and pax form conga lines around the dining room. Again, some call it "fun", I call it tacky.

Purely a matter of personal preferenece.

The dres code was not enforced on my Glory cruise 3 months ago. There were a surprising number of pax in the formal dining room at dinner attired in shorts and tanks, ballcaps even, though this was expressly forbidden.

I prefer a quiet, intimate dinner to one where waiters dance on tables to loud piped in music and pax form conga lines around the dining room. Again, some call it "fun", I call it tacky.

Purely a matter of personal preferenece.

The original poster will be traveling with a 13 year old who may enjoy this.

We were on the Triumph and Legend and the dress code was enforced - same Maitre d' hotel both times so perhaps that was the reason.

Too bad. Captains club just sent out an Email - $500 inside to Bermuda

$600 outside to Bermuda on the Labor day weekend out of Jersey City and Philly.

I understand... but my kid returns to school on August 29th as many other kids, and this is why price goes down dramaticaly.

We could go to Bermuda for the same price (Well, maybe $650) in the beginning of the year, but we really wanted to fly to Europe... Our plans changed 2 days ago. I also don't like to gamble and cruise Atlantic in September. We've seen many cruises deverted to Canada!

We got great price for Thanksgiving 6 nights $1569 all included for 3 of us!

I actually read alot of great things about Carnival and Libery! They also have sushi bar... and dinner menu looked very decent! Alot of seafood, so I'll be a happy camper. http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Sample_Dinner_Menu_7_Day_Cruise.aspx

They also have station with omelettes made to the order with different ingridients http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Sample_Breakfast_Menu_Dinning_Room).aspx

Cabins are nice sized... In our case it's almost 190 sq ft, which is more than many other cruise lines offer.

You can officialy (no smuggling) bring fine wine or champagne during the embarcation, at corkage fee is only $10...

I wouldn't hesitate at all to take the Liberty, especially, if everything works out for you(price, time, itinerary, etc..). The one thing "for us" that was a litte bothersome was the smoke other than that we enjoyed Carnival. I am also one of those that have no complaints about their food(quite good!). True, with all lines, each one has their own little things that are better than the others. Have fun and do not let anything get in the way of your cruise enjoyment!

Hi Sanfranbaycruiser!!!!

Would like you to elaborate on the Liberty. My previous cruises on CCL were many yrs. ago. and not so good. People running around in muscle shirts, shorts at dinner. I would hope a 13 day Med cruise would attract a different croud. i.el.

Celebrity people. Did it? Love the ports for Sept.'06. along with the price!

How was the food compared to the above? My other concerns are the number of people on Liberty and trying to disembark in each of the ports. How was that handled??

Appreciate any help I can get.

I've had both good and bad experiences with Carnival. I say I wouldn't sail them again, but a cruise is a cruise and of course I would!

Actually, our best cruise for service was on their oldest ship - Celebration. Lovely older ship with the best service we have had on ANY cruise. Service on that cruise was far superior to any we have had on Celebrity. Our room steward introduced himself the first day and we never 'saw' him again until the last day - although his presence was definitely there! After this cruise, I decided there must be a camera in the room! EVERY TIME we left the room, we returned to straightened beds, folded clothes, fresh towels, and clutter removal - WOW it was wonderful and he got an excellent tip! Our dinning staff couldn't have been better either, after 2 days Roberto almost didn't need to bring menus - he had learned what we all liked. And if we were in a hurry, he stepped up service, without sacrificing any of the extras. I just have very good memories of that cruise - and I hope to sail her again someday!

The second cruise on Carnival was terrible, but we still had a great time! The third cruise was so-so, but again a great time! I think it depends on circumstances and what you make of it. I think you will have a great time!

Tatka,

We share the same philosophy with Bruin steve.

Although we clearly prefer the better services on a Celebrity and luxury lines, we have a good time on any cruise. Also, although we enjoy music at the Cova Cafe, we prefer the big production shows on Carnival. Liberty is actually on the long list of ships we would like to try...I am confident you and your son will have a fun overall experience. At my age, it is sometimes better to be around younger free-spirited, non-snobish people; it makes me feel younger and happier!

Let us know how the cruise went upon your return.

Pam

Archived