Bottom Line Must Haves on any Cruise

OU8MINE

I know there have likely been other similiar posts and FAQs that probably address this question, but I'm looking for a very SIMPLE and SHORT condensed list for responses from those that know.

This is for those experienced, multi-night, multi-ship cruisers out there: What is a list of 5 items or less you now bring on board every cruise because your cabin doesn't have it, you can't get it on board and you've found it to be extremely useful? I'm primarily interested in items for the cabin, ie. extension cord or multi plug. Thanks!!

I know there have likely been other similiar posts and FAQs that probably address this question, but I'm looking for a very SIMPLE and SHORT condensed list for responses from those that know.

This is for those experienced, multi-night, multi-ship cruisers out there: What is a list of 5 items or less you now bring on board every cruise because your cabin doesn't have it, you can't get it on board and you've found it to be extremely useful? I'm primarily interested in items for the cabin, ie. extension cord or multi plug. Thanks!!

1. Highlighter. We spend time in the evening looking over, and highlighting activities/shows for the next day when the Cruise Compass shows up on our bed.

2. Over the door shoe hanger. It's the one with the multiple clear pockets meant to hold shoes, but we use it for all sorts of small items - including jewelery for my DW.

3. Music (phone/tablet/mp3 player with a nice quality bluetooth speaker). We love background music - we have a very extensive list of "vacation songs" that are awesome background music on the balcony, or in the cabin

4. Beach Bag!!! Sounds odd, I know, any maybe everyone packs one or two, but when you get off the ship for a beach day (eg Labadee), we like to have our gear (towels, brushes, lotion, etc) all in a neat bag - likely this is very common, so really may not warrant being on this list

5. Small container of misc sweets/treats. I know a lot of people can't agree with me on this one, but I've done it every cruise, and it's become a tradition, I guess. We buy one of those round containers with multiple pie-shaped dividers. We go to the bulk store and buy assorted sweet/salty snacks and some mints/gum. We will usually grab a small handful from time to time when hanging around the balcony, or watching some TV before bed, etc. Yes, there is lots of food on the ship, but these little snacks seem to hit the spot at the right time.

This is about the only thing we bring that is specifically for the stateroom:

belkin-power-usb.jpg

Never seen one of those! What a great idea! Im going to look for one now. With 2 phones, and 2 tablets with us on a cruise, those usb ports are invaluable!

Never seen one of those! What a great idea! Im going to look for one now. With 2 phones, and 2 tablets with us on a cruise, those usb ports are invaluable!

Plus, the unit swivels, so it can be adjusted so it does not interfere with other outlets, etc. Look for the one with the higher power (2.1A) capabilty so you can charge tablets. I think it's about $20 on Amazon.

Plus, the unit swivels, so it can be adjusted so it does not interfere with other outlets, etc. Look for the one with the higher power (2.1A) capabilty so you can charge tablets. I think it's about $20 on Amazon.

Great looking unit, I'm going to grab one ASAP!

I'll leave out the obvious stuff (clothing, medicine, camera, phone, etc.):

1. Portable alarm clock with night light - Not provided in the stateroom. I don't want to have to burn up the cell phone battery using it as an alarm. Cabins can be very dark at night, so it's useful to have an alternate light source.

2. Kindle - Holds hundreds of books. Need I say more?

3. MP3 player - Holds thousands of songs. I don't want to burn up my cell phone battery using my phone for this either.

4. Headphones - Because I don't like ear buds.

I don't have a fifth at this time.

What specifically do you use the bottle for? Cabin, Sun Deck Excurisions? Is it just for water....? I want to know why it's worthwhile to drag a water bottle on board. Thanks!

Fill with cold water to carry into port instead of paying an exorbitant price for a bottle of water on the ship.

We bring 3 electric candles and extra batteries. 2 for the room and 1 for the bathroom. Inexpensive and great night lights.

New item. Hope it proves useless. Small UV flash light to detect body fluid stains. For pre-cruise hotel and heaven forbid, the cruise ship. Only cost about $19.

This might be a subject that nobody wants to talk about, but? In this day and age, made sense to us.

Harry

Some of these above lists include items that are already in the staterooms of some cruise lines (e.g,, nite lights, alarm clocks, quality bath products).

Other items (e.g., from free bottled water to flashlights or duct tape may be readily available by asking steward).

The OP may want to ask the question on the forum of the specific line in question.

The one thing I would suggest that is not readily available is a 10 foot iPad/iPhone charger/cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Travel alarm clock, for the reasons others have mentioned. And a wristwatch for ports...cell phones, iPods, etc. will set themselves to local time, which might be different from ship's time. Don't want to risk missing the ship if the local time is different!

A small flashlight. Cuz you never know when you might need it.

A big plastic insulated mug. The glasses the ship has for iced tea are too small. I fill the mug from the glasses, not the machine, and put the used glasses on the dirty dish tray. Really nice for sitting out on deck with my book.

A few plastic grocery bags for putting dirty clothes in at the end of the trip, or for wrapping up things like shampoo and sunscreen bottles.

OTC meds like ibuprofen, and a few band-aids. Don't want to have to buy them in the ship's store!

What specifically do you use the bottle for? Cabin, Sun Deck Excurisions? Is it just for water....? I want to know why it's worthwhile to drag a water bottle on board. Thanks!

I use it to drink a lot of water and stay hydrated while drinking copious amount of alcohol whilst cruising the hot Caribbean.

Oh, I have more than 5, but these are a few that I haven't seen mentioned:

Safety pins or clothespins to make sure the curtains stay closed. Safety pins are actually better because you can use them for other things, but you use more of them on curtains.

Ponytail holder for those pants that shrink in cruising weather. Put one end thru the button hole and pass the other end thru it, making a loop. Take the looped end and hook that over the button.

Febreeze! For the bathroom or musty smelling closets.

Sewing kit with scissors.

Copies of every card, ID, or passport you are taking with you. Front and back. Just in case something happens to them, you will have account numbers and phone numbers/websites to cancel or get other information.

Those are 5 of mine that aren't mentioned....but I have more.

I take a couple of the fabric reusable grocery type bags. They take up no room and I use them as a beach bag or just tuck them in a pocket when going ashore. Also, my LED votive candle to use as a night lite. Third must have is a water bottle --great to have by the pool, in your room, and at the beach.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

1) My iPhone: it's a clock, alarm, flashlight, and audiobook.

2) a regular sized bar of soap: I hate using small bars and I don't like liquid soap

3) a plug extender/surge protector: I have one almost like the one pictured

4) a couple of plastic grocery bags -- good for storing dirty and wet clothes until laundered

5) lots of SD cards for my camera - I switch them out frequently so as not to have all my photos in one place.

I take a display folder organised with one sleeve for each port of call. In it I have put in the weeks prior to embarkation tips for each specific port. This is because I am one of those people who are not fond of ship-provided shore excursions. So, for example, for my 2015 cruise I have one sleeve for Civitavecchia. Because we have recently spent a week in Rome we do not want to do Rome again. I have researched (principally on cruisecritic.com) the alternatives to Rome and have decided to go to Tarquinia. So in my folder I have bus timetables and price lists, a print out from Google maps of the walk from the port to the bus stop, a list of sites to see in Tarquinia, etc. I would also have any printouts of pre-booked tickets (none for Tarquinia). Over a 33 day cruise this could save thousands of dollars, literally, and much time & inconvenience.:o:o

1) My iPhone: it's a clock, alarm, flashlight, and audiobook.

2) a regular sized bar of soap: I hate using small bars and I don't like liquid soap

3) a plug extender/surge protector: I have one almost like the one pictured

4) a couple of plastic grocery bags -- good for storing dirty and wet clothes until laundered

5) lots of SD cards for my camera - I switch them out frequently so as not to have all my photos in one place.

I second this about lots of SD cards! On a trip to Paris my camera got stolen. Thankfully, I had used a couple of SD cards prior to the theft so I didn't lose all of the pictures I took. What a bummer it would have been to go to Paris and come home without any pictures!