Problem with Dynamic Dining

bh9885

I believe only Aqua Class has access to Blu.

Originally suites were allowed to go to Blu on a space available basis and a $5 charge. That has changed with the new focus on improved service and features for suite passengers. Our last 2 cruises on S class ships Blu was very crowded with suite passengers. I guess the number allowed varies on the people working the front door. One family in a suite with 2 children even had a table reserved for them just that they used almost every night. I hope the crowding is eased as the new suite restaurants are installed and in operation.

In case your wondering, it is easy to see who the suite passengers are after a few days because they are also sitting in the suite only section of the theater before they open it up for everyone.

When Royal introduced MTD, which I love, people had a choice. If you wanted to continue to participate in traditional dining, eating at one of the pre-determined times and typically being seated with others, you could. If you wanted to choose your own time and dining companions by opting for MTD, you could. You could make reservations for your dining time, or not.

With DD, the change is sudden and without any alternative to participate in familiar options most passengers are comfortable with.

Personally, I LIKE eating in the same place every night. I LIKE having the same waitstaff every night. That's why I typically opt for MTD, but with reservations. If I understand DD, it's no longer as easy as indicating I want to eat at 6:30 each night, now I have to choose a venue. That's a lot to ask months in advance and it removes the option to choose the MDR providing a broad menu.

I have never utilized specialty dining on board. Partly, I admit, for the cost. But partly because I really do ENJOY the MDR experience. I look forward to it. I don't want to go to a different restaurant every night. I enjoy the familiarity. I'm sure some others feel differently, however I suspect I am not alone in my preferences. If DD goes fleet wide, these preferences will have no accommodation. To some of us, that's a loss.

Agreed.

While we could eat in the same dining room at the same time with the same waitstaff every night with DD, it would mean we'd have the same menu every night. :(

Originally suites were allowed to go to Blu on a space available basis and a $5 charge. That has changed with the new focus on improved service and features for suite passengers. Our last 2 cruises on S class ships Blu was very crowded with suite passengers. I guess the number allowed varies on the people working the front door. One family in a suite with 2 children even had a table reserved for them just that they used almost every night. I hope the crowding is eased as the new suite restaurants are installed and in operation.

In case your wondering, it is easy to see who the suite passengers are after a few days because they are also sitting in the suite only section of the theater before they open it up for everyone.

Interesting, thanks for the info.:)

?...However, this DD hasn't even started yet! Why waste time debating all these things that may never be an issue. Let's wait and see how it works. Trust the concept and many will be pleasantly surprised,I'm sure. Many of the fears are unfounded IMO..

For many of us who have booked a cruise with Quantum, the DD sytem is a reality now. We are not wasting our time but searching for information on how it is supposed to work because our next cuise with Royal is under this system. We can hardly just wait to be on board to see if we had to make reservations for all our evenings or not. As a matter of fact, instead of all of us especulating, what we would like to have is a better explanation from Royal how is this DD supossed to work for those of us who do not know months in advance what type of food we would like to eat on board, but still want to have dinner (and not necesarily at the Wind Jammer)

Apparently Royal under this new Dynamic Dining. If you know better please share it wit us.

You do not need to "decide months in advance where do I want to eat and at what time". Yes, you take the chance that you will not get the time or restaurant you desire most, but there will be a walk-in restaurant after DD (at no up-charge and served by one of the waitstaff).

You do not need to "decide months in advance where do I want to eat and at what time". Yes, you take the chance that you will not get the time or restaurant you desire most, but there will be a walk-in restaurant after DD (at no up-charge and served by one of the waitstaff).

Thanks a lot for your answer! Finally one post which answers my question.:)

For many of us who have booked a cruise with Quantum, the DD sytem is a reality now. We are not wasting our time but searching for information on how it is supposed to work because our next cuise with Royal is under this system. We can hardly just wait to be on board to see if we had to make reservations for all our evenings or not. As a matter of fact, instead of all of us especulating, what we would like to have is a better explanation from Royal how is this DD supossed to work for those of us who do not know months in advance what type of food we would like to eat on board, but still want to have dinner (and not necesarily at the Wind Jammer)

Here's the vague description of Dynamic Dining from Royal Caribbean's VP of F&B Brian Abel in an article for Cruise Industry News: http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-magazine/feature-magazine-articles/67-articles/11292-summer-2014-food-and-beverage-royal-caribbeans-dynamic-dining-is-a-revolution.html

As a matter of fact, instead of all of us especulating, what we would like to have is a better explanation from Royal how is this DD supossed to work for those of us who do not know months in advance what type of food we would like to eat on board, but still want to have dinner (and not necesarily at the Wind Jammer)

You do not have to know "months in advance what type of food (you) want to eat". When you are seated you will be given a menu with more choices than the standard MDR menu. You will have more choices in dining rooms, menu's, and entrees. You may not get immediate seating, but you will have options beyond the buffer or specialty dining.

You do not have to know "months in advance what type of food (you) want to eat". When you are seated you will be given a menu with more choices than the standard MDR menu. You will have more choices in dining rooms, menu's, and entrees. You may not get immediate seating, but you will have options beyond the buffer or specialty dining.

Totally agree with you on this one.

While many have legitimate concerns over DD, like dining solo, wanting to be part of a large table or having the same waiters I find these posts about "how do I know what I want to eat that day" a little strange.

On a cruise with traditional dining you have no idea what will be on the menu on a given day (unless you've found out the menu order, looked at all the menus and planned your eating down to the minute detail), you show up and there are choices that you choose from.

There have been times in the MDR that once shown the menu nothing really appealed to me. At least with DD I get to at least narrow the range of choices that I get to choose from. For example if I don't like any of the items at Silk then I certainly am not going to select it as one of my options.

Also let's not forget that there will still be the standard selections that will be available at every restaurant just as they have the always available selections on the menu now. This will help those that might not like the dishes in one of the restaurants but the rest of their group does.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Thanks a lot for your answer! Finally one post which answers my question.:)

You really need to look at this like a modified My Time Dining: if the time you want to go is popular and you are a walk-in, you might have to wait. It is modified, as there are different dining venues offering different menus and cuisines; some of which may be more popular, such that if you are a walk-in you might have to do one of: wait longer, try a different time, or choose a different venue (sort of like at home).

And like MTD, if you really want a specific time at a specific restaurant, you should make a reservation so that you will be assured a table at that restaurant at that time (sort of like at home - see a theme here).

Totally agree with you on this one.

While many have legitimate concerns over DD, like dining solo, wanting to be part of a large table or having the same waiters I find these posts about "how do I know what I want to eat that day" a little strange.

On a cruise with traditional dining you have no idea what will be on the menu on a given day (unless you've found out the menu order, looked at all the menus and planned your eating down to the minute detail), you show up and there are choices that you choose from.

There have been times in the MDR that once shown the menu nothing really appealed to me. At least with DD I get to at least narrow the range of choices that I get to choose from. For example if I don't like any of the items at Silk then I certainly am not going to select it as one of my options.

Also let's not forget that there will still be the standard selections that will be available at every restaurant just as they have the always available selections on the menu now. This will help those that might not like the dishes in one of the restaurants but the rest of their group does.

Indeed! The only thing that is gone is the definite "same table, same staff" for the entire cruise (though, it still might be done by patronizing the same venue each night).

If sailing on a ship with DD, I would strongly suggest that cruisers review the restaurants and their menus so that they might be knowledgeable about what is available. If any are the kind that are believed to "not be missed", make a reservation so it isn't missed.

I think DD is a "con" from RC . I am on the OAS June 2015 and have just read that MDR is moving to DD . Looking at other threads it seems I will have only 3 choices for complimentary dinning . I travelled before and liked the MDR with a different menu each night , formal dinning , same wait staff etc . I can not afford to pay for extra dinning , we travel from Australia so we have huge airfares and poor exchange rates . This is a major change / fault from RC . I am not interested in Windjamer for dinner . The three choices of restaurants have the same menu each night and little options beyond . I am a party of 5 and my children have different likes . In MDR we always found something for them . RC has got us again !!!

WE'll going in August. I'm Very upset with this to. I agree with everything you said. I'm hoping RC is reading all the complaints. Wake up RC you will be losing many families with this. Or is this what you want?

I wonder if they might have a place to go and ask which of the no up charge (or with up charge if you prefer) is currently available when you want to eat. This could make it more of an adventure not knowing where you are going when you head out of your stateroom.

I know many may not like this, but I think it might be fun to try.

I'm tired of the pro-Dynamic Dining people attacking people who prefer the option of Traditional Dining. It's great if it works for you, but it's not for everyone. Don't tell someone they should wait and try it first before being against it, unless you plan on paying for their cruise.

In attempting to try it, the OP has been unable to get reservations for the times and restaurants of their choice. Why should they have to wait until they get onboard before maybe getting a desired reservation?

Before DD, there are 3 choices: First Seating, Second Seating, or MTD. It's so easy to do when booking a cruise over the phone. "I'd like the 6pm seating, please." Now I'm done, one less thing to plan or worry about. When I get on the ship, I'll sometimes go the MDR to locate my table. Either way, I'm seated as soon as I arrive or the doors are opened to the MDR. As a solo, I have the same people to sit with each night and the same waitstaff. I look forward to meeting with these people as we get beyond the icebreaker stuff. After a busy day in port or around the ship, I like getting served a glass of water with multiple refills. Then I like to eat some bread while looking over the menu. The assistant waiter knows I have the soda package from day 1, so he brings me a Coke without constantly asking for my seapass card. Since the menu changes each night, I can order more than one appetizer, entree and dessert if I desire. (I actually had a thin tablemate with a high metabolism order two appetizers, two entrees, and two desserts every night and take photos of them before eating.) Then we all do it again the next night.

With DD, your only tablemates are your roommates or people you are traveling with if you make a reservation. Then you may have to make adjustments if there are conflicts with your Entertainment reservations (that by itself was a major PITA!) If you don't have reservations when you arrive, you will have to wait in a line with no guarantees a table will be ready for you when you get to the front of the line.

If you then decide you don't want to wait for a table, you can go to the Windjammer, but you lose out on the wait service. First, I would have to go back to my room to get my Coke Freestyle cup. Then I would have to juggle that with my plate of food from the self service buffet and a cup (not a glass) of water. If I want a refill on my soda, I have to wait 15 minutes whereas it would be refilled as many time I want in the MDR.

I can go on and on. The point is, people who eat outside the MDR (Extra $$$ specialty restaurants, Windjammer) and/or do the MTD have nothing to lose and more perceived "choices" with complimentary specialty restaurants whereas people who prefer Traditional Dining have a lot to lose, especially the choice of Traditional Dining. So stop attacking us.

I pay enough money for this cruise. I did not want just 3 places to eat. I like that we have same waiters they know what you like also know what you like.

I pay enough money for this cruise. I did not want just 3 places to eat. I like that we have same waiters they know what you like also know what you like.

This reads a bit confused ("I don't want just 3, I want just 1").

This reads a bit confused ("I don't want just 3, I want just 1").

I am not confused by this post. I understood completely what he said. The boards have beat this to death, but he does not want to dine in the same restaurant with the SAME menu every night. He likes the same restaurant with a DIFFERENT menu every night. I am a rather picky eater and only the American Icon Grill and the Grande appears to be within my preference of taste. Therefore in seven nights, I have the SAME menu many nights over. I should be Diamond Plus in 2 years. I will continue to be loyal to Royal, but most likely on the smaller ships. Celebrity is also a fantastic choice for a cruise!

From what I get from the VP and F&B, it's going to cost more to cruise on RCI. Yes you can stick to the free places, but those are going to be very few. If this DD goes fleet wide especially on the Explorer of the Seas series and larger and newer, those of us who don't wish to partake in this, will have a choice of either changing cruise lines, Celebrity or Princess for me or cruise on the smaller and older ships which doesn't appeal to me.

I think DD is a "con" from RC . I am on the OAS June 2015 and have just read that MDR is moving to DD . Looking at other threads it seems I will have only 3 choices for complimentary dinning . I travelled before and liked the MDR with a different menu each night , formal dinning , same wait staff etc . I can not afford to pay for extra dinning , we travel from Australia so we have huge airfares and poor exchange rates . This is a major change / fault from RC . I am not interested in Windjamer for dinner . The three choices of restaurants have the same menu each night and little options beyond . I am a party of 5 and my children have different likes . In MDR we always found something for them . RC has got us again !!!

Not sure how old your children are but all DD restaurants will have kids menus.

Popular times book early even MTD. Usually they hold some tables back for walk-ins. However if traditional dining is more what you want I have to wonder why you chose this ship and not a different one in the fleet that offers what you do want:confused:

"Why we chose this ship?"

Because, at the time we chose, made our deposit, and jumped through all the hoops with 9 different employers (we're a party of 12) to get our vacation dates scheduled; they didn't have Dynamic Dining.

When we booked, if we had wanted this, we would have gone with NCL.

Now, our choice is to cancel and try to get everyone rescheduled to another ship (cruise line?), itinerary and time frame, or . . . just suck it up and hope for the best from this change.

When Royal introduced MTD, which I love, people had a choice. If you wanted to continue to participate in traditional dining, eating at one of the pre-determined times and typically being seated with others, you could. If you wanted to choose your own time and dining companions by opting for MTD, you could. You could make reservations for your dining time, or not.

With DD, the change is sudden and without any alternative to participate in familiar options most passengers are comfortable with.

Personally, I LIKE eating in the same place every night. I LIKE having the same waitstaff every night. That's why I typically opt for MTD, but with reservations. If I understand DD, it's no longer as easy as indicating I want to eat at 6:30 each night, now I have to choose a venue. That's a lot to ask months in advance and it removes the option to choose the MDR providing a broad menu.

I have never utilized specialty dining on board. Partly, I admit, for the cost. But partly because I really do ENJOY the MDR experience. I look forward to it. I don't want to go to a different restaurant every night. I enjoy the familiarity. I'm sure some others feel differently, however I suspect I am not alone in my preferences. If DD goes fleet wide, these preferences will have no accommodation. To some of us, that's a loss.

The suddenness of DD's introduction and it's quick move to non-QU class ship as well as the total elimination of traditional dining (or regular MTD where you can mimic Traditional at your own time) on these makes me unhappy. We have 4 cruises booked on FR and rumors seems about FR getting DD after drydock have been pervasive on CC and other forums. There seems to be a pause in the quick implementation of DD on my favorite ship and now RCI is saying they want to see how DD plays out on QU before they add another class of ships (AN, OA & AL are getting it). I understand that there has been a lot of pushback from folks who like Traditional and regular MTD so they may be slowing up implementation in FR and the rest of the fleet.

WE'll going in August. I'm Very upset with this to. I agree with everything you said. I'm hoping RC is reading all the complaints. Wake up RC you will be losing many families with this. Or is this what you want?
agree

We are sailing on FR (which is rumored to get DD) in Aug. 2015 without our usual cruising couple and we would have liked to be at the same table, same waiter with same tablemates every night.

Edited by SherriZ366

I am not confused by this post. I understood completely what he said. The boards have beat this to death, but he does not want to dine in the same restaurant with the SAME menu every night. He likes the same restaurant with a DIFFERENT menu every night. I am a rather picky eater and only the American Icon Grill and the Grande appears to be within my preference of taste. Therefore in seven nights, I have the SAME menu many nights over. I should be Diamond Plus in 2 years. I will continue to be loyal to Royal, but most likely on the smaller ships. Celebrity is also a fantastic choice for a cruise!
I am looking at Celebrity too although it is not in Port Canaveral, which is very convenient for us (4 1/2 hour drive).