44 pounds a bag? Seriously?

rsquare

I just noticed in my pre-departure documents a statement to the effect that luggage must weigh no more than 44 lbs/20 kg a bag, and that overweight luggage may delay embarkation/disembarkation; the possibility of forced on-the-spot repacking is raised.

Most international airlines allow 50 lbs/23 kg per bag, and I had no problem recently with a bag of that weight on Cunard's sister line HAL. Will I really be hassled with such a bag on Cunard?

So long as they don't require a special crane to lift, bags over the official weight are perfectly fine. My suitcases are regularly over 30kg (10kg more than the advised limit) - and I always travel with at least 4 cases.

I do always tip the porter though since I'm putting him through the experience of moving my luggage.

Unless your bag is extremely heavy, it doesn't matter whether it weighs 44 or 50 lbs.

there are no scales at the pier so there is no weighing being performed by the stevedores.

Edited by rolfecms

I suspect that Cunard's stated 20kg baggage weight limit is dictated by the airlines that Cunard uses for their air/sea packages. Sadly, the airline baggage 20kg limit trend is here to stay and looks to be a trend that will grow in the future. We have also experienced the 20kg limit on some of the guided coach tours we have taken in Europe. While Cunard presently does not appear to be enforcing the 20kg limit for it's ships, one should not assume that this could not change at any time in the future.

We found that we can get the luggage weight below 20kg fairly painless by a combination of:

(1) Buy some new lighter weight quality luggage. Our new suitcases each weigh several pound less and seem to be at least as strong as our old ones.

(2) Pack smart. If you are not absolutely sure you will need something - don't take it.

(3) Take an extra small suitcase or bag if necessary and live out of it until you reach your destination or board the ship.

Since we frequently have to carry your own suitcases and we aren't as young as we used to be, having lighter weight luggage is a plus for us.

The 10 pairs of shoes alone which I pack take up at least one suitcase. They have never weighed any bags. I'm afraid to fly though, so we can pack as much as we please since we drive to New York. I occasionally use White Star service which has always worked well, also.

One of the reasons for weight restrictions in the UK now is for health and safety reasons....and don't shoot the messenger please!

Employers are required to take steps to reduce the risk of injury to their employees...and official advice suggests breaking up heavy loads into smaller more manageable ones - and this is what Cunard (along with other cruise lines) are now doing by asking/requesting/insisting that passengers limit each case to no more than 20kg. As they know many people will ignore it, i suspect they have used 20kgs in the hope that any reasonable person would at least try and keep nearer to that than 30kgs .

But if your cruise includes a flight, you will need to check with Cunard and/or the airine - or risk incurring charges for overweight bags. and every airline is different!

Usually I kept cement in my bags to help keep the clothing from moving too much and thus getting wrinkled. Since the new weight restrictions, I have removed that cement but now I have to have my clothing pressed once on board.

One of the reasons for weight restrictions in the UK now is for health and safety reasons....and don't shoot the messenger please!

Employers are required to take steps to reduce the risk of injury to their employees...and official advice suggests breaking up heavy loads into smaller more manageable ones - and this is what Cunard (along with other cruise lines) are now doing by asking/requesting/insisting that passengers limit each case to no more than 20kg. As they know many people will ignore it, i suspect they have used 20kgs in the hope that any reasonable person would at least try and keep nearer to that than 30kgs .

But if your cruise includes a flight, you will need to check with Cunard and/or the airine - or risk incurring charges for overweight bags. and every airline is different!

Surprisingly the heavy lifting regulations don't mention any weight limits.

David.

We use suitcases that are quite large (not the biggest they make, but large) and I don't think I've ever reached even 35 lbs per bag! Are you packing bricks? Canned goods? 50 lbs or more? Holy Moly! If you're not flying and not paying per bag, just pack more smaller bags.

And whoever said they take 10 prs of shoes...WHY? (and I know some take even more, my DIL included). Let's see...hiking, beach, walking, flip-flops (barely count), sneakers, dress. Even if you take all of those and 2 options for dress, you're still only up to 7.

Get a grip, people! :eek:

We use suitcases that are quite large (not the biggest they make, but large) and I don't think I've ever reached even 35 lbs per bag! Are you packing bricks? Canned goods? 50 lbs or more? Holy Moly! If you're not flying and not paying per bag, just pack more smaller bags.

And whoever said they take 10 prs of shoes...WHY? (and I know some take even more, my DIL included). Let's see...hiking, beach, walking, flip-flops (barely count), sneakers, dress. Even if you take all of those and 2 options for dress, you're still only up to 7.

:eek: How in the world do you survive with 7 pairs of foot wear? Do you wear them more than once ? How do you face your new friends you make on board? You know they are looking at your shoes and if you wear the same shoes every day, they must be talking behind your back about it?? And please, you can't be serious, you wear Flip Flops? How Gauche!!! These are Cunard Vessels, not Carnival ships. :p

As they know many people will ignore it, i suspect they have used 20kgs in the hope that any reasonable person would at least try and keep nearer to that than 30kgs .!

I've always believed exactly that. Some people that don't fly, show up with one huge case filled with 30 days worth of voyage clothes....and it becomes a problem.

And whoever said they take 10 prs of shoes...WHY? (and I know some take even more, my DIL included). Let's see...hiking, beach, walking, flip-flops (barely count), sneakers, dress.

For women.......different outfits require different shoes. You can be practical and pack so that you only require one pair of evening shoes........or you can enjoy the experience and dress to impress. Either choice works. :D

We are trying to pack smart these days and have greatly reduced what we bring with us, but still find we have a lot of "stuff" to bring. We have reduced the weight per bag by breaking things down into extra bags. :eek:

On the shoe question, for evening clothes I like to have one pair of heals plus a backup just in case a strap or heal breaks, and then a walking shoe, sneaker, flats for non formal evenings, and yes, flip flops so I can wear them to the spa. It does add up.

Actually I bring closer to a dozen.

And no, not one pair is sneakers or flip flops. I do have a "grip".... on my stilettos, which all travel with me. Not everyone packs the same or dresses the same. Cunard doesn't seem to mind, and as long as you aren't the one carrying it, why should you care how many shoes women pack?

If you aren't flying, pack however many bags you wish. I've never had problems lifting any of my bags so the guys on the docks have never had any problems either. On a 12 day trip we have 3 large suitcases and 2 carry-ons. No one has ever batted an eye. And - we do carry all of them ourselves, self-debarkation.

Actually, I hear Boston has some nice ice rinks, so I guess the skates are coming with me on this voyage.

On any cruise over 10 days or so I would normally take at LEAST a dozen pairs of shoes - so they match my dresses for the evenins. Plus various day time footwear. Our last voyage was 29 nights and I took 16 pairs!

The most luggage we have taken was six cases plus two large carry ons and that was flying into Hong Kong and cruising 35 nights. If we can take it, so what! We like choice!

I am seriously worried now, I was planning on taking three pairs of shoes, one for walking, one pair of flats for smart casual nights and one pair of black low heels for formal.

Will anyone talk to me? Will I be shunned and looked down on?

Is it only the Grills people who dress in different shoes every night or do the lower echelons follow suit?

Can I survive with three pairs without resorting to therapy?

For anyone who is travelling with us, please don't look at my shoes!! :)

I am seriously worried now, I was planning on taking three pairs of shoes, one for walking, one pair of flats for smart casual nights and one pair of black low heels for formal.

Will anyone talk to me? Will I be shunned and looked down on?

Is it only the Grills people who dress in different shoes every night or do the lower echelons follow suit?

Can I survive with three pairs without resorting to therapy?

For anyone who is travelling with us, please don't look at my shoes!! :)

:D :D :D

We retired about a year ago and have since taken 9 cruises, two air/drive trips, and four ski trips. The more we travel, the less we pack, and it is still always way too much.

Of course ski trips are more complicated, but for a normal three-week cruise/trip we each take a carry-on and a tote, plus one shared, larger, checked bag which weighs about 48 pounds. We divide stuff out so that we could actually survive reasonably comfortably if the checked bag were somehow diverted. DH usually wears a dark sport coat on the plane and packs a pair of black trousers in his carry on so we could even fake it for formal nights if push came to shove although we noted on our last Cunard cruise that they do not have tux shirts in his size--16.5/36.

I must take at least a pair of serious walking shoes (which I usually wear on the plane), everyday ship shoes, dance shoes and some fancy black Fit Flops of Skecher Tone Ups, which can also serve as amazing walking shoes and ship shoes in warmer climates. When I have enough space, I will squeeze in another pair of dance shoes, just in case of a shoe disaster. One pair of black and one pair of nude dance shoes will get me through most anything.

One black dress and one long black skirt teamed up with different fancy tops and jewelry could cover a dozen formal events without anyone ever knowing the difference.

There was a time when I thought I had to take half a dozen pair of dance shoes with matching evening bags, but then I figured out that truly the only person on the ship who cares what I wear is me, so why burden ourselves down with a bunch of extra luggage.

I dance in the ballroom each night. Last year I discovered that the heel was worn down on my dancing shoes. Panic, panic! I only had one pair of dancing shoes. One other dancer was amazed as she had brought six pairs onboard with her.

As for the dancing shoes, the ship's carpenter could have repaired them for me but I might have been without them for two days. In the end I had a wonderful time walking around Odessa looking for a shoe repair shop. With the help of gestures and lots of friendly people, I eventually got the job done.