Dinner in Cabin Process

Djptcp

DH and I will sail on the Nieuw Amsterdam the week of Thanksgiving. It has been awhile since we sailed on HAL and would appreciate someone refreshing our memories on the process of ordering dinner to eat in our SS cabin. I vaguely recall going to look at the menu posted at the dining room and then calling by a certain time to place the order. Is that correct? Can we order anything on the menu that evening?

Also, is dinner in the Lido Buffet nice? I read somewhere they serve same or similar entrees to what is being served in the dining room that evening. Is that correct? Could DH wear shorts to eat dinner in the Lido Buffet?

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

The dinner menus are posted outside the main dining room as well as in the bars/lounges.

Each ship differs as to when you can call to have dinner in the cabin -- most say to call within the first hour of the dining room opening -- which means that you can call at 5:15 when Open Seating starts. Check with the dining room manager as to when you should call.

Yes -- you can order anything you want from the main dining room menu.

Most of the items listed on the main dining room menu will be served in the Lido.

And yes your DH can wear shorts to the Lido dinner buffet.

For dinner tablecloths are used in the Lido, so it's nicer than lunchtime. But you can still dress casually.

I hardly ever eat in the dining room. It's just my personal preference. Dining room often takes too long, and I just want to be done with it and get on with things (usually reading).

We always have breakfast delivered to eat on our balcony. Are you still able to write additional things on the card to place on your door the evening prior?

We so enjoy lounging on the balcony for the 1st meal of the day. Enjoying the waves and view.

We have never eaten any other meal in our cabin. If you do order from the dining room menu for dinner or lunch. Are things delivered hot and delicious as they are for breakfast?

We are also doing a b2b in Nov. on the Eurodam. I can see that with 14 days there may be an evening that we just might not want to dress for dinner.

THANKS as always for any help and enlightenment CCer's can share.

We always have breakfast delivered to eat on our balcony. Are you still able to write additional things on the card to place on your door the evening prior?

We have never eaten any other meal in our cabin. If you do order from the dining room menu for dinner or lunch. Are things delivered hot and delicious as they are for breakfast?

Yes. You can still write in breakfast items but they may not always be available. As a hint: If you write in "waffles" make sure you also specify "fruit sauce" or you will receive just plain fruit on top.

All of our orders from the MDR dinner menus have arrived at a proper temperature. They are taken from the MDR kitchen just like all of the meals served in the MDR.

If you choose to dine in your room on formal nights serving lobster, feel free to order two or three entrees.

Edited by Crew News

We love having breakfast on our balcony and try and have it as often as we can. On our last cruise to Alaska, we ordered room service off the MDR menu and it was wonderful. Our meals were hot and we enjoyed it so much. It was the lobster and steak at formal night and we were surprised by how much we enjoyed it. It was so relaxing and it really set the scene, for us anyway, of what cruising is all about. Would definitely recommend it. Here's a tip: throw a small table cloth in your suitcase and you can cover the balcony table with it. Room service always brings flowers, so place those in the middle of the table and enjoy. We have never been disappointed with any aspect of HAL's room service.

We love having breakfast on our balcony and try and have it as often as we can. On our last cruise to Alaska, we ordered room service off the MDR menu and it was wonderful. Our meals were hot and we enjoyed it so much. It was the lobster and steak at formal night and we were surprised by how much we enjoyed it. It was so relaxing and it really set the scene, for us anyway, of what cruising is all about. Would definitely recommend it. Here's a tip: throw a small table cloth in your suitcase and you can cover the balcony table with it. Room service always brings flowers, so place those in the middle of the table and enjoy. We have never been disappointed with any aspect of HAL's room service.

Thanks for the table cloth idea - we are going to do this. Have a huge balcony on this warm weather cruise, so may do several dinners out there.

Dave

Thanks for the table cloth idea - we are going to do this. Have a huge balcony on this warm weather cruise, so may do several dinners out there.

Dave

Table size is 42-inch round so tablecloth would be 70-inch round. We bring a white and a gold one for verandah dining. Don't forget the clips to keep the tablecloth from blowing away.

Table size is 42-inch round so tablecloth would be 70-inch round. We bring a white and a gold one for verandah dining. Don't forget the clips to keep the tablecloth from blowing away.

Good idea about the clips. I never thought of that. On an aft wrap the wind should not be too bad, but why chance it.

Thanks.

Dave

We just call down for the menu and they will bring it to the cabin.They would only take our dinner order from 6:00 till 6:30 but we could have it delivered later.They bring everything you need including flowers for the table.

Yes. You can still write in breakfast items but they may not always be available. As a hint: If you write in "waffles" make sure you also specify "fruit sauce" or you will receive just plain fruit on top.

All of our orders from the MDR dinner menus have arrived at a proper temperature. They are taken from the MDR kitchen just like all of the meals served in the MDR.

If you choose to dine in your room on formal nights serving lobster, feel free to order two or three entrees.

Always be sure to ask for everything you want. If you don't specify butter for your dinner rolls, you may not get any. If you want maple syrup for your pancakes, ask for it. Cream for your coffee, be sure to request it. :)

Thank you all for your suggestions and information. We usually have room service breakfast every day, but have never tried dinner. Definitely going to try it on our Nov. cruise. I appreciate your responses.

I also would like to say what a nice dinner is served in the Lido. We just got off a port intensive cruise on the Prinsendam, and close to half of the evenings we dined in the buffet. Lots of great choices, you can make your own salad exactly the way you want it, quick and you can dress in shorts or jeans! Love the main dining room, but some nights this just fit the bill!

It is nice to have options!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

for the incredible tips and help. We are doing a B2b AND I have a feeling will get a bit worn out with dressing for dinner some nights. We normally enjoy getting dressed up - being this is a longer cruise than we've done before great to know we have this option.

We were able to grab one of the 16x9 balconies on a VA cat on the Eurodam. Want to put it to good use :)