Carlos Bake Shop Tiramisu Cake - Worth it ???

calex

I don't know about that cake in particular, but if the cupcakes are any comparison, it would be good. My birthday was during my Breakaway cruise last year, and my cabin steward surprised me with a towel cake with a Carlos' Bake Shop cupcake on top. It was very good, better than the regular birthday cake that they brought me after dinner that night.

Has anyone had this cake on board? Is it really worth the cost of $24.95?

I also had a cupcake and it was very good, but whether it is worth $25 to you for a cake only you can answer.

For me, I would take the $25 and go to a specialty restaurant for dinner. If you are celebrating a special occasion, tell them and you'll probably get a free cake. Or just order any of the other excellent free desserts on the menu.

It is worth it! DS ordered one to be delivered for my birthday while we were on the Jewel............................nicely presented and so yummy:)

And DS here's a reminder I'll be on the Pearl for my birthday this year.

I had the mini version of tiramisu cake and it was wonderful! If you like oreo's the big oreo cake is phenomenal! My daughter ordered one for the day we disembarked to take home to her boyfriend & after traveling 6hrs in a styrofoam cooler it was one of the best cakes we've ever had!

I have gone to the original Carlos in Hoboken and there is one down the street from me -never are their cakes worth the $$. You are only paying for the name. I can't imagine on board they would be much different, if anything worse.

But if you feel like you have to get something from "Carlos", (which I understand), get a Cupcake and save your $$.

Do all the ships have the cakes? I don't see the option for our Jade cruise next year.

CT

Per https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/gifts-and-more#cakes - it does not appear to be available on the Jade.

Carlo's Bake Shop Cakes

Celebrate your special occasion with a cake from Carlo's Bake Shop. Enjoy delicious creations from renowned Master Baker Buddy Valastro, star of the popular TLC television series "Cake Boss" and "Next Great Baker." Available for sailings on the following ships: Norwegian Breakaway, Norwegian Getaway, Norwegian Epic, Norwegian Dawn, Norwegian Jewel, Norwegian Star and Norwegian Sun.

We didn't get to do the decorating class because we weren't aware that you had to sign up as soon as you get on board cause the class fills quickly! So if you want to do it go to guest service desk day of embarktion or you'll be out of luck!

I don't know about that cake in particular, but if the cupcakes are any comparison, it would be good. My birthday was during my Breakaway cruise last year, and my cabin steward surprised me with a towel cake with a Carlos' Bake Shop cupcake on top. It was very good, better than the regular birthday cake that they brought me after dinner that night.

What a sweet gesture!

Dear calex,

As in most things worth is a personal choice also freedom.

Trying things to see if worth is the answer can really only be done by you. But once you spend it your not able to take it back.

eg: My FIL just passed away. He was in a NYC, NY eatery with his lets say, his, Thrifty , boss. His boss had ordered a large glass of milk and said to the waitress.. " oh I didn't touch it can I have my money back"... :eek:

Dear calex,

As in most things worth is a personal choice also freedom.

Trying things to see if worth is the answer can really only be done by you. But once you spend it your not able to take it back.

eg: My FIL just passed away. He was in a NYC, NY eatery with his lets say, his, Thrifty , boss. His boss had ordered a large glass of milk and said to the waitress.. " oh I didn't touch it can I have my money back"... :eek:

Thanks all for the input... funny story about trying to return the milk. Good thing most restaurants follow good hygiene and would never re-serve items once they hit a customer's table.

I think I'll listen to the advice and try one of Carlos's cupcakes instead of buying the whole cake. We might also go to La Cucina to get their tiramisu cake where we would get dinner and cake for $30 instead of a 7" cake for $25.