Ebola Virus

We cancelled our Jan 2015 cruise because of the possibility of Ebola.

They put screening on the east coast but forgot LAX & SFO for screening,

Australia currently has Ebola patients. There many flights to LAX and SFO from Asia and Australia. We can't also forget connections from Mexico south as well.

Australia isnt telling their public they have Ebola cases????? Do you mean Australians who could reside at present anywhere? maybe West Africa.

Edited by fishtaco

They were already aboard before the CDC put in the travel ban. Once they were notified, they agreed to stay in their cabin. The CDC really dropped the ball on this one. Isn't it their job to anticipate such situations and come up with protocols before something like this happens? They're just making stuff up as they go along. Hopefully, it doesn't pop up anywhere else.

"Showing symptoms of Ebola"....aren't the initial symptoms of Ebola the same as the initial symptoms of the flu? Is everyone going to freak out the minute people show flu symptoms?

Yes. Especially of the point of contagion takes them back to patient zero.

What an ignorant comment

Btw I hope and pray this is not true but there are reports that a nurse from Dallas is on the carnival dream and showing symptoms

Belize has denied her entry and she can't get to the air ambulance and is sitting in a tender off shore

There are 3600 pax plus crew on the ship

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just heard on the radio, that she has been quarantined.

Here's the story form USA Today:

A health care worker who may have handled a specimen from the Liberian man who died from Ebola in Dallas is on a cruise ship in the Caribbean.

Industry giant Carnival says the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention notified it late Wednesday that a passenger on the Texas-based Carnival Magic was a lab supervisor at the Dallas hospital where Thomas Eric Duncan died from the disease earlier this month.

Carnival says the unnamed woman has been placed in isolation on the ship and has shown no signs of illness.

RELATED: Cruise lines drop West Africa calls in wake of Ebola

PHOTOS: Inside the Carnival Magic

"At no point in time has the individual exhibited any symptoms or signs of infection, and it has been 19 days since she was in the lab with the testing samples," Carnival says in a statement sent to USA TODAY. "She is deemed by CDC to be very low risk."

The Carnival Magic is one of the largest cruise ships in the Caribbean with a capacity for more than 4,000 passengers. It sails with more than 1,000 crew members.

Carnival says it in close contact with the CDC, and "at this time it has been determined that the appropriate course of action is to simply keep the guest in isolation on board."

The Carnival Magic sails to the Western Caribbean out of Galveston, Texas and was scheduled to visit Belize on Thursday.

Belize's 7 News reports the Belize government refused a U.S. request Thursday to let the passenger disembark in Belize so she could be flown home by air ambulance from a local airport. The ship has since left Belize.

Australia isnt telling their public they have Ebola cases?????

No, that was 4+ days ago. When there was the there might be a patient with ebola report. And it turned out they didn't have ebola at all.

The problem is that they DO tell the public there MIGHT be a patient with ebola. And then people misstate that, as here, that suddenly there are multiple patients WITH ebola.

The old chinese whispers.

Edited by The_Big_M

What an ignorant comment

Btw I hope and pray this is not true but there are reports that a nurse from Dallas is on the carnival dream and showing symptoms

Belize has denied her entry and she can't get to the air ambulance and is sitting in a tender off shore

There are 3600 pax plus crew on the ship

She's a lab supervisor and is NOT SICK nor has she shown any symptoms at all.

If anyone would stop and notice, the only individuals who have gotten sick have had close contact with someone who is very sick. None of Duncan's family members, including his fiance have had any symptoms. People need to take a step back and realize only those in very close contact with very sick people have caught it and not all of them either.

I saw an interview this morning which brought up a very good point about who has gotten sick so far. What was said, was that in the early symptoms, the risk of catching it are very, very small also. It takes a high concentration of the virus in the body for anyone to catch it during close contact. The odds of anyone who isn't caring for someone with Ebola catching it are almost zero. Even in the 4-5 African countries where it is spreading the number of infected individuals is very low compared to the overall population and those infected have had very close contact with very sick people.

Does anyone remember the intense hysteria surrounding the bird flu from a couple of years ago?

Edited by BND

Belize refuses entry to Carnival cruise ship carrying Texas hospital worker who may have handled Ebola victim’s specimen - The Washington Post

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/10/17/cruise-ship-carrying-texas-ebola-nurse-refused-entry-in-belize/

sent from my galaxy s4 please excuse any error's thanks

They were already aboard before the CDC put in the travel ban. Once they were notified, they agreed to stay in their cabin. The CDC really dropped the ball on this one. Isn't it their job to anticipate such situations and come up with protocols before something like this happens? They're just making stuff up as they go along. Hopefully, it doesn't pop up anywhere else.

Gonna disagree with you slightly, this happened because the Hospital in Texas, and their workers screwed up, it had nothing to do with the CDC! Just like the nurse flying, people selfishly refused to give up their travel plans after they were near the infected! These people didn't use common sense, and put others at risk!

The CDC has done an excellent job through the years to keep the cruise industry safe!

Edited by American Bear

Dont believe everything you read in media or see on TV! If the Ebola spread was such a problem health workers dealing with patients would be "forced" into quarantine by governments around the world yet they are allowed to fly home from West Africa and self quarantine/ diagnose "once they are home" lol:D

"Swat style operations needed" in neighbourhoods where suspected carriers live lol and lol again:D:D:D

You are right. Don;t believe what you read. Its far worse and they don;t want ot panic us. They should have shut down all air flights out of Africa before Mr. Duncan made it to the USA. But they didn't and the cat is out of the bag now. Even as you read this, people from ebola hot spots in Africa are boarding planes to go all over the world. The CDC, like all government agencies is too bloated with bureaucrats to move quickly.

Gonna disagree with you slightly, this happened because the Hospital in Texas, and their workers screwed up, it had nothing to do with the CDC! Just like the nurse flying, people selfishly refused to give up their travel plans after they were near the infected! These people didn't use common sense, and put others at risk!

The CDC has done an excellent job through the years to keep the cruise industry safe!

From what I read, "The CDC confirmed to FOX 4 News that they gave Vinson the green light to fly."

I read they are on the Carnival Magic. The most upsetting part of the article I read about it was the statement:

"At the time the woman left on the cruise, the CDC was requiring medical workers involved in treating Duncan to self- monitor and was not restricting their travel."

This is why Americans have lost faith in the CDC's handling of this situation. As a nurse....the first thing you want to do is ISOLATE the disease...so why wouldn't a travel restriction be the first order of business??

The government's handling of this has been an epic fail from day one and continues to be. There should be travel restriction for anyone exposed to Ebola and that includes the 150 people a day who arrive to the U.S. from western Africa.

I imagine they are doing nothing but the regular illness questionnaire. They are more likely at this point to leave it up to the airports. This is only a guess on my part.

Yes and the airports have been so successful thus far...

I don't think it's irrational fear - for someone to take notice that "Look, this is a disease I won't get cause of bad diet or unsafe sex - this is a disease I'll get, just because my country allowed people in who might have this disease, and I'd rather not die from that"

Sure Flu and other ailments kill more people - but those can't be kept out of a nation.

Truth is this disease can't be kept out of the country either, unless you ban ALL travel from ALL countries -- and that won't happen.

What caused the spread of this situation in this country was poor handling by the Dallas hospital on the day that Mr. Duncan first appeared there and then it seems everything they did after he returned to the hospital a few days later seems HIGHLY questionable.

So put the blame for the spread of this incident squarely where it belongs.

Ugh, this is frustrating. There are conflicting reports. Some say she is displaying symptoms and others say she is not. The media also states that she may have processed his bodily fluids, not that she did. Could it be that Media is doing what they do best by causing hysteria for a juicy headline?

http://www.maritime-executive.com/article/Texas-Ebola-Nurse-Isolated-on-Cruise-Ship-2014-10-17

Also travel insurance companies might want to be lenient if someone feels ill and wants to stay away from people therefore canceling their cruise

Putting the words 'lenient' and 'insurance' in the same sentence is foolish. As an attorney friend of mine once told me, who works in the workers compensation field of insurance to help workers get what they deserve, when a call comes into an insurance company to open a claim, the first thing the insurance company wants to do is see, what limitations they can impose to MINIMIZE any payment to the claimant.....leniency isn't part of their mindset.

Ugh, this is frustrating. There are conflicting reports. Some say she is displaying symptoms and others say she is not. The media also states that she may have processed his bodily fluids, not that she did. Could it be that Media is doing what they do best by causing hysteria for a juicy headline?

http://www.maritime-executive.com/article/Texas-Ebola-Nurse-Isolated-on-Cruise-Ship-2014-10-17

The mainstream media absolutely HATES the cruise industry. They will over sensationalize this story for days, facts be damned.