Ebola Virus

Me too. Seriously thinking about canceling out December cruise.

I thought of canceling too. But, I think any where I go where there are people you can catch any illness. So, I could get it even in a store. The only way to be pretty sure not to catch this or any illness would be to lock myself in my home until it is over! (I did think of that, really I did!). So we are going on our cruise.

Everything I have ever read about Noro says it most certainly CAN cause a fever.

A lot of these symptoms of ebola are the same as Noro and some of them the same as a flu.

On another note, I can go from 100% wellness to a 100+ degree temp at the drop of a hat because of kidney infections due to paraplegia. I guess right now if i went to the ER with a fever, I would be treated like a leper, sent to Emory, isolated for 21 days and my name smeared all over the media as If Im some kind of disease ridden freak :o Our local walk in clinics dont want you in their office for over 5 minutes if you have ANY kind of fever. They will send you somewhere else to be dealt with.

Edited by ryano

I might be a little nervous about being on Carnival Magic right now. At the same time, she wasn't in direct contact with the ebola patient and hopefully she followed protocols when handling specimens. The key here is she has shown no symptoms and is at very low risk of getting anything. Hopefully folks on the cruise don't panic :(

Where is this ship headed next? Will any port allow it in now? I know Galveston is where it is from. I think it was reckless of this women to go and it seems the Texas hospital never used any protocol in advising people that were working on the case. I don't think she is at risk or anyone on the ship but that is just my opinion.

I would not cancel any flight or cruise at this point.

The mainstream media absolutely HATES the cruise industry. They will over sensationalize this story for days, facts be damned.

I'm new to cruising, and taking my first Cruise out of Galveston in a month.

I refuse to live my life in fear of what might happen.

I might walk out my door and get hit by lightening today, maybe I should stay home. [emoji298] [emoji57]

Gonna disagree with you slightly, this happened because the Hospital in Texas, and their workers screwed up, it had nothing to do with the CDC! Just like the nurse flying, people selfishly refused to give up their travel plans after they were near the infected! These people didn't use common sense, and put others at risk!

The CDC has done an excellent job through the years to keep the cruise industry safe!

Has everything to do with the incompetence of the CDC. It has failed in many respects. Didn't have sufficient protocols in place in order to guide hospitals. CDC leader is an idiot and should step down immediately. Our government's response to this is shameful and, once again, a day late and a dollar short.

Part of the problem is that the CDC has had to devote a huge amount of resources to public outreach, which should be the job of the Surgeon General. Unfortunately, the NRA supporters in congress refuse to confirm the surgeon general because he considers gun violence to be a public health issue.

In the first two sentences the words confirm and possibly are used. People need to settle down.

They confirmed that she possibly has ebola. :eyeroll:

Edited by ahecht

Until there are active cases in the US then I do not think that they will be doing anything beyond what they have been currently been doing with having passengers fill out the medical questionnaire.

Currently it is the airports that are accepting incoming international flights that are straying to step up procedures.

Behind the scenes no one but RCI knows what procedures they have in place if someone were to present with symptoms on board.

I guess we will quickly learn how they are going to handle things as there is situation with a passenger currently onboard a cruise ship that sailed out of Galveston. The only thing I know so far is that they have been isolated in their cabin.

I thought of canceling too. But, I think any where I go where there are people you can catch any illness. So, I could get it even in a store. The only way to be pretty sure not to catch this or any illness would be to lock myself in my home until it is over! (I did think of that, really I did!). So we are going on our cruise.

You are correct, I guess you could get it anywhere. Like you I have had to really calm myself because I am inches from moving my whole family to our ranch/bunker in Montana until this is over!

The mainstream media absolutely HATES the cruise industry. They will over sensationalize this story for days, facts be damned.

All forms of the media LOVE the cruise industry. The stories sell. There is something fascinating about tragedy at sea, even if there really isn't a tragedy.

That is like saying the television and movie business hates the cruise industry because of all the tragedy at sea movies they produce. The public finds it very interesting so the media and entertainment industry provide the product.

If she had cancel for any reason insurance, and a brain (the key part, not yet determined) she would have stayed off of a ship, plane, train, etc. for the incubation period after first being in contact with anything to do with Mr. Duncan.

YOU CAN NOT FIX STUPID! Anyone want to take bets if she had travel insurance or not?

Part of the problem is that the CDC has had to devote a huge amount of resources to public outreach, which should be the job of the Surgeon General. Unfortunately, the NRA supporters in congress refuse to confirm the surgeon general because he considers gun violence to be a public health issue.

They confirmed that she possibly has ebola. :eyeroll:

And I can confirm that anyone of us possibly has any number of diseases.

Maybe I am just jaded by all the hysteria/hype. Common sense should prevail, not hysteria. I just remember in the 1980's when people thought they could "catch" Aids by just leaving their homes.

Why is it that many of us see through this Media BS and others live in fear?

If she had cancel for any reason insurance, and a brain (the key part, not yet determined) she would have stayed off of a ship, plane, train, etc. for the incubation period after first being in contact with anything to do with Mr. Duncan.

YOU CAN NOT FIX STUPID! Anyone want to take bets if she had travel insurance or not?

It has been CLEARLY ESTABLISHED that the CDC has been telling the health care workers that it's perfectly OK for them to travel as long as they're self-monitoring and are asymptomatic. IN FACT, the nurse who flew early this week called the CDC to report that she had a low-grade fever of 99.5 and should she not fly and was told that it was perfectly OK to fly that day.

When the CDC is telling health care workers that the protocol is to self-monitor and go about your life as long as you're asymptomatic, it's pretty ignorant to pronounce those workers STUPID and claim it's not established whether or not they have a brain for following those protocols. :rolleyes:

Edited by LetsGetWet!

Belize press release.

My reading is that they may allow the ship to arrive if they are convinced that passenger has been segregated and remains on the ship. But who knows, as the press release is real vague, giving them a lot of room. I can see the "smallest doubt" being that this passenger interacted with some people at some time or else she would have never been allowed on the ship, so to err on the side of caution, they would not allow the ship to dock.

Edited by snorkelman

Belize press release.

My reading is that they may allow the ship to arrive if they are convinced that passenger has been segregated and remains on the ship. .

According to John Heald, the Magic has left Belize and is in Cozumel.

Edited by ryano

People of the world need to come together and understand that we are all part of each other and not separate entities. Like our late JFK said: we all inhabit the same planet and we all cherish the same for our future generations.

Be aware that nothing comes out from having discussions with every other. We need to understand that we all share the Divine spirit within us and that any injure on others, we are doing to ourselves.

( I respect and tolerate any other thoughts any individual may have, but at the same time are convinced that if we all come together when times of trouble arise, we will not only deal with success but will become closer to our Original Source ).

Blessings to all and may all of us open our hearts

and minds...

It has been CLEARLY ESTABLISHED that the CDC has been telling the health care workers that it's perfectly OK for them to travel as long as they're self-monitoring and are asymptomatic. IN FACT, the nurse who flew early this week called the CDC to report that she had a low-grade fever of 99.5 and should she not fly and was told that it was perfectly OK to fly that day.

When the CDC is telling health care workers that the protocol is to self-monitor and go about your life as long as you're asymptomatic, it's pretty ignorant to pronounce those workers STUPID and claim it's not established whether or not they have a brain for following those protocols. :rolleyes:

If I had had contact and knew the incubation period had not yet elapsed, I'd use my brain to say don't travel, and I'd use my insurance to cancel for any reason and err on the side of safety. The "you can't fix stupid" part pertains to not only the health care professional here, but also to the general response in terms of erring on the side of caution, re: CDC

Being aware of the gestation period of a disease and also knowing full well that you are basically involved with a case resulting in a death already and illness to other health workers in your immediate area you'd think they would not get on the ship. But like I said, let's see if they had travel insurance or not. I'm willing to guess that they didn't and didn't want to lose out on their money and so took a risk. Time will tell if I was right or wrong.

I get travel insurance for every cruise. I do not get cancel for any reason insurance because the cost is stupidly higher than the cost for insurance if you cancel for being sick or missing a flight. I have no intention of canceling any of my booked cruises for any reason other than personally getting sick or missing a flight. Insurance companies would probably laugh at someone who wanted to cancel because they might have possibly maybe perhaps been exposed to someone who might possibly maybe potentially have been exposed to Ebola.

Edited by Cruzin-K

Truth is this disease can't be kept out of the country either, unless you ban ALL travel from ALL countries -- and that won't happen.

What caused the spread of this situation in this country was poor handling by the Dallas hospital on the day that Mr. Duncan first appeared there and then it seems everything they did after he returned to the hospital a few days later seems HIGHLY questionable.

So put the blame for the spread of this incident squarely where it belongs.

Sure it's not foolproof.

But neither is banning a few food chains from using styrofoam - there's still enviro degradation, maybe.

It's not foolproof to snatch a cupcake from a child's lunch - because after all junior has 15 hours a day at home to pig out.

Yet we still take precautions - many times on our own citizens personal lifestyle choices.

So it's my hope we do the same thing with Ebola - if anyone has a recent history of being in affected hotbeds of Ebola - I wish they'd be kept out.

But alas, I realize we are in a world where we aren't permitted to do that and I accept that and I understand my place on the totem pole fully..

Just saving tons of money on flying.

Hoping this thing doesn't get out of control cause I'd still like to do some sort of trip over President's Day week with my kids - they are only young once.

Folks, let's keep this topic cruise related. And no political discussion either as it's against the forum rules. If this continues to go off topic it will have to be closed. Let's keep the discussion civil also. Thanks for your cooperation.

Edited by Host Kewlguy