Ebola Virus

I think the facts are not so clear. I believe she was legally allowed to board the ship. I believe she did not lie any any questionnaire. I believe she may still be asymptomatic. Did she really cause anything? Wasn't it Carnival possibly over-reacting, after last year's fiasco of the poop cruise on the Triumph?

I believe the only reason this is a trending topic on all the media outlets is due to Carnival making press releases.

If the lab technician (supervisor) was told to self-monitor, she should have not gotten on the ship. If she HAD acquired a fever, what was she going to do after she was on a cruise ship!! She should have used common sense and cancelled her cruise IMHO!

I don't have all the details but on our news here this morning they are saying Carnival Magic has been stopped from entering any port due to someone who was sailing with suspected Ebola.

Like I said I just heard a bit of it as I turned it on before.

Unfortunately we live in a world where we believe the Media way too much. I have a trip planned in three weeks to Europe and of course I'm not scared to travel.

We needs to take precautions such as washing our hands with warm water and soap for 25 seconds, use hand sanitizers and avoid people who are sick or appear to be sick. Remember a 6 foot buffer zone. But sometimes we cannot avoid sick people and therefore should consider wearing a surgical mask.

My 2 cents is to trust your gut feeling and to really think what are your chances of getting a disease such as Ebola etc.

Also I suggest getting your annual flu shot and any other vaccinations. While there is no vaccine for Ebola I hope the US CDC will step up their ante to avoid any case of Ebola.

If you go to the CDC website you will see where to avoid travel and I would not go out of my way to go to the affected areas where Ebola is present. I follow the CDC requirements to avoid to the best of my ability areas that could be a potential health risk.

I'm not a medical professional but I do believe in preventative measures.

You are definitely not a medical professional if you think good hand washing and a paper mask would provide an ounce of protection against Ebola.....

You still don't seem to understand...an asymptomatic patient's blood test will test negative, no infection will show up. Blood tests for this virus will not measure anything until the patient shows symptoms.

So you are asking for false reassurances; which usually end up with infected people thinking they are not contagious. "But I took the blood test last week and it showed nothing, what do you mean my flu/cold/viral crud is something more serious? I tested negative"

And we are 150% sure she is a symptomatic?

I am just posing logical questions here and truly hope she is a symptomatic

Point is we don't know anything yet

I am somewhat doubtful about ccl press releases. CDC releases as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ok you are an RN TOO.Then I am now totally shocked on just about everything you have said.You are way over reacting.Reading your post I guess I should quit my job as well.Common sense will prevent you from getting ebola.Just like any contagius disease its always healthcare workers who get infected when it comes to bodily fluids.Usually because a protocol was broken.Common sense,wash your hands,dont put your fingers in your mouth,dont sit on the seat cusion naked,if your food falls on anything but your own dish dont put it in your mouth.All this is common sense that you should be doing everyday anyways and it will prevent you from getting ebola if thats what your worried about.But you are an RN and you should know this already.! Geeze you make me laugh!Absolutely rediculous!OMG!

"Common sense...will prevent you from getting Ebola...."

Are you nuts?!?! How is common sense going to help you if someone who has been infected with Ebola sneezes or has projectile vomiting near you on a plane, in an airport, waiting in line to check in at a cruise terminal, etc.

I am not saying I would or would not travel but to say common sense will prevent one getting Ebola just ignores basic science and epidemiology...

It wasn't just USA passengers. It was all the passengers.

Not sure what you mean by "return the favor". Are there Mexican cruise lines that call on the US? And if there are, have any of their passengers been exposed to Ebola?

Oh really you don't know what I meant by return the favor?

Yeah right

Folks, let's keep this topic cruise related. And no political discussion either as it's against the forum rules. If this continues to go off topic it will have to be closed. Let's keep the discussion civil also. Thanks for your cooperation.

Thank you!

I feel sorry for all the passengers missing their port.

I feel sorry for them because the CDC contacted the ship about a possible Ebola exposed pax

The port is meaningless. The possibilities are disturbing

However if we can believe the repirts saying no symptoms I truly feel she doesn't have the virus. The quarantine and Mexico banning the ship are all the right moves

Of course final confirmation if this can only come later on when the pax is examined.

It seems like I haven't seen you in a long time...Hi! Welcome to the thread where you will get all of the definitive answers on Ebola. :eek:

Hi there. It has been a while. I haven't cruised since last Dec. Been doing land travel - just got back from a week in Barcelona and then a week in London. So not much time on CC. Curiosity about what the pseudo experts here would have to say about the Carnival ship in the news this morning drew me back.... And I wasn't disappointed.....;):D:D

I am an employee of a very renowned Medical Center.....and over the last few days our hospital has really went into preventative mode and has provided massive re-orientation to safety precautions to protect us from any exposure to active cases of Ebola.

Now Mind you we are not Emory or Bethesda,

But we can safely protect the patient and employees until transportion to a nationally recognized hospital can be achieved, within 48 hours.

Am I scared???

Well yeah who isnt.

But just knowing the safety precautions and ongoing inservices to provide safety to all kinda helps me calm down.

Yeah our state was on the news for airport and bridal shop concerns from one of the victims.

Precautions have been taken to de-contaminate those places, and our facility has take a Pro-active approach to dealing with the victims should any arise. As of this writing no patients or exposures yet.

Just praying for this virus to end, and we can go on dealing with other crisis in the future.

But for now

Safe travels to all

Sea Ya

Ok you are an RN TOO.Then I am now totally shocked on just about everything you have said.You are way over reacting.Reading your post I guess I should quit my job as well.Common sense will prevent you from getting ebola.Just like any contagius disease its always healthcare workers who get infected when it comes to bodily fluids.Usually because a protocol was broken.Common sense,wash your hands,dont put your fingers in your mouth,dont sit on the seat cusion naked,if your food falls on anything but your own dish dont put it in your mouth.All this is common sense that you should be doing everyday anyways and it will prevent you from getting ebola if thats what your worried about.But you are an RN and you should know this already.! Geeze you make me laugh!Absolutely rediculous!OMG!

I am an RN as well and your comments are really naive and ignorant, sorry to say. If you are exposed to a person with active Ebola symptoms, there is no "common sense" in the world that will protect you. The hospital in Dallas had no Ebola protocol in place so blaming the brave nurse who risked her life for "breaking protocol" is rather cruel and unkind. :(

So I wasn't really nervous until this whole CCL thing came about. Now I don't know what to do. We were planning to take our first family cruise for my 30th birthday in December with my toddler to the Bahamas. I'm hoping this gets under control so we don't feel pressured to cancel our trip! I guess a bit of paranoia is starting to set in.

Has anyone actually cancelled their rci trip yet due to this outbreak?

So I wasn't really nervous until this whole CCL thing came about. Now I don't know what to do. We were planning to take our first family cruise for my 30th birthday in December with my toddler to the Bahamas. I'm hoping this gets under control so we don't feel pressured to cancel our trip! I guess a bit of paranoia is starting to set in.

Has anyone actually cancelled their rci trip yet due to this outbreak?

Mine is in January and I will make the right decision at that point. I just made final payment

Either. I go

Or

Don't go based on the circumstances at the time

If this thing spirals there is no decision to be made

I am prepared to lose my money as insurance won't cover

Everything works out as it should though dont worry