Ebola Virus

Not being political. But the primary job of government is to protect the people. Not to tell you what you should or should not do (nannystate).

Just like when you step on a cruise ship You expect the captain and crew to make sure you are safe.

No mater how you spin it. If if patient 0 was not allowed to enter the USA. Two nurses would not have ebola right now.

I'm beginning to think that we have a better chance of epidemic and global extinction from the zombie apocalypse before ebola ends humanity.....I also think this entire ebola story has been blown way out of proportion just to make headlines. As mentioned, more people are in contact with and die from the flu virus every year than from ebola. The flu virus is also much easier to spread. Lately it seems that ebola has become the new Norovirus of the cruise industry. Relax, and use common sense and I would hope that most people will have a negligible chance if contracting ebola.

You do realize that the WHO predicts that soon the number of new ebola cases will be over 10,000 per week. How long do you think it will be till someone travels to Mexico? And infects others? The health situation in Mexico is terrible at best. Do you realize how many cross our southern border every day looking for work or smuggling? Wait till it becomes a life or death option. Where do you think they will go?

You do realize that the WHO predicts that soon the number of new ebola cases will be over 10,000 per week. How long do you think it will be till someone travels to Mexico? And infects others? The health situation in Mexico is terrible at best. Do you realize how many cross our southern border every day looking for work or smuggling? Wait till it becomes a life or death option. Where do you think they will go?

Not DALLAS!:eek:

None of the following is meant to be political, just to show you how 'little' the Ebola scare is! Lets all get back to happy cruising!:D

On average 92 people die everyday in America in traffic accidents! Will anyone stop driving? NO!

On average 98 people die everyday from the flu in America! Will this stop Americans from leaving their houses? NO!

On average you run a 70% higher risk of heart disease if you have poor Dental Health in America! Will this make people brush their teeth? NO!

On average 205 people die everyday from Alcohol in America! Will this stop them from drinking? NO!

On average over 1200 people die everyday from smoking illnesses in America! Will this stop people from smoking? NO!

On average 289 people are shot everyday, and 87 die from guns in America! Are we going to ban guns? NO!

We could go on, but seriously, it seems a lot of people on this thread are over reacting when you look at the big picture in the numbers! The overwhelming odds are you'll be fine, and will enjoy your cruise just like you always have!:D

To everyone else, have a happy cruise!:D

Yes, but it can be controlled and you can choose not to smoke, wear a seatbelt, wash your hands...etc... There is no known treatment for Ebola in humans. Doctors can offer supportive therapy, such as hydration, oxygen and treatment of complicating infections, but mortality rates are still very high. Because the natural reservoir and origin of transmission remains unknown, there are no established methods of primary prevention. Instead, prevention efforts focus on outbreak control in healthcare settings.

There have been 28 documented outbreaks, with 2,288 human cases and 1,331 deaths.

Edited by jean87510

None of the following is meant to be political, just to show you how 'little' the Ebola scare is! Lets all get back to happy cruising!:D

On average 92 people die everyday in America in traffic accidents! Will anyone stop driving? NO!

On average 98 people die everyday from the flu in America! Will this stop Americans from leaving their houses? NO!

On average you run a 70% higher risk of heart disease if you have poor Dental Health in America! Will this make people brush their teeth? NO!

On average 205 people die everyday from Alcohol in America! Will this stop them from drinking? NO!

On average over 1200 people die everyday from smoking illnesses in America! Will this stop people from smoking? NO!

On average 289 people are shot everyday, and 87 die from guns in America! Are we going to ban guns? NO!

We could go on, but seriously, it seems a lot of people on this thread are over reacting when you look at the big picture in the numbers! The overwhelming odds are you'll be fine, and will enjoy your cruise just like you always have!:D

To everyone else, have a happy cruise!:D

The above statement may be true, but the problem is an ebola epidemic will grow exponentially... that means unless it is contained it will grow and grow - 3 turns into 9, turns into 27, etc. 10,000 new cases per week is expected by December - so how many new cases by March, by June ? This is still relatively "new" in the states, but we have already had many mismanaged cases - including a hospital employee exposed to the virus... now on a cruise ship prior to the 21 day incubation period. To say you have a better chance of being struck by lightening may be true today, but how about 3 months from now...? Right now ebola is winning this battle and will continue to spread and grow in numbers infected.

How many people are in auto accidents and live to tell about it. The vast majority. I've been in several of varying degrees of seriousness (not usually as a driver :eek: )

How many people get the flu and live to tell about it. The vast majority. I'd guess MOST of the people reading this thread have had the flu at LEAST once.

How many people drink regularly and don't die from it. THE vast vast overwhelming majority.

What is the mortality rate for smoking? It's 3 x's higher than non smokers, but the vast majority of smokers don't die from smoking.

What is the mortality rate of ebola? Depending on what figures you use, it's 55% to 88%.

if you are in an accident, smoke, drink, get the flu you are not LIKELY to die from it.

If you get ebola…. well the best figures being 50/50 and the worst being almost 9 in 10, those are some tough odds.

I'm an RN and have dealt with patients in isolation for various illnesses and I was exceedingly careful but not especially worried. I would be VERY worried about taking care of an ebola patient.

How many people are in auto accidents and live to tell about it. The vast majority. I've been in several of varying degrees of seriousness (not usually as a driver :eek: )

How many people get the flu and live to tell about it. The vast majority. I'd guess MOST of the people reading this thread have had the flu at LEAST once.

How many people drink regularly and don't die from it. THE vast vast overwhelming majority.

What is the mortality rate for smoking? It's 3 x's higher than non smokers, but the vast majority of smokers don't die from smoking.

What is the mortality rate of ebola? Depending on what figures you use, it's 55% to 88%.

if you are in an accident, smoke, drink, get the flu you are not LIKELY to die from it.

If you get ebola…. well the best figures being 50/50 and the worst being almost 9 in 10, those are some tough odds.

I'm an RN and have dealt with patients in isolation for various illnesses and I was exceedingly careful but not especially worried. I would be VERY worried about taking care of an ebola patient.

Exactly!

OMG are you implying that only those crossing the border between Mexico and the hallowed lands of the USA are the ones who will be responsible for the spread of Ebola in the US? How short slighted.

First of all a respectful 'thank you' for your service as a nurse!:)

The mortality rates you quote are not in America, they're in Africa!:eek:

But lets repeat,,,,,,there are 8 cases in the US!

No Americans have died! American mortality is 0! The mortality rates you quote are in Africa! The one person who died in the US caught it in Africa!

You talk mortality in Africa, I'll talk how few have it here!

And even if more get it here, I have confidence in American medical professionals like you!:)

I'm not worried!:D

Prove it hasn't. There are over 8000 cases, over 4000 dead. The WHO says actual numbers may be 2.5 times higher due to under-reporting. I doubt they were all bleeding on each other.

The cdc must think the virus on surfaces is a threat, they list it as a source. They decontaminate infected areas in full hazmat suits. Why waste the time and money if there is no risk?

Blood isn't the only way to transmit it. All body fluids. Sweat, feces, urine... SEMEN... breast milk.

An infected individual has sex with his wife while he is asymptomatic, maybe he got sweat on.. who knows. His wife, now infected, breast feeds their child. A neighbor changes a baby's dirty diaper when the mother falls ill...

Blood isn't the only way to transmit it. All body fluids. Sweat, feces, urine... SEMEN... breast milk.

An infected individual has sex with his wife while he is asymptomatic, maybe he got sweat on.. who knows. His wife, now infected, breast feeds their child. A neighbor changes a baby's dirty diaper when the mother falls ill...

You are correct, and along with all of your examples the cdc and who also list contact with contaminated surfaces as a transmission method. That was my original point. Many of the experts here continue to insist that this isn't possible.

First of all a respectful 'thank you' for your service as a nurse!:)

The mortality rates you quote are not in America, they're in Africa!:eek:

But lets repeat,,,,,,there are 8 cases in the US!

No Americans have died! American mortality is 0! The mortality rates you quote are in Africa! The one person who died in the US caught it in Africa!

You talk mortality in Africa, I'll talk how few have it here!

And even if more get it here, I have confidence in American medical professionals like you!:)

I'm not worried!:D

How many cases do you think it would take to overwhelm the American medical system considering everything else a typical hospital has to deal with in an average day?

How many cases do you think it would take to overwhelm the American medical system considering everything else a typical hospital has to deal with in an average day?

Sometimes I think the ER at our nearby hospital could get overwhelmed by a hangnail. I have no confidence that they could handle a single case of Ebola.

How is the Cruise Industry

and specifically Royal Carribean Cruise Line handling the

Prevention and Management of the Danger of an Ebola Virus affected passenger?

I am a healthcare worker and would love to know what steps are being taken?

Thanks

Check out the "News" section on the Cruise Critic homepage. It has reported what steps C.L.I.A. (Cruise Lines International Association) and cruise lines are taking in regards to Ebola. However it doesn't speak of specific cruise lines such as Royal Caribbean.

You are correct, and along with all of your examples the cdc and who also list contact with contaminated surfaces as a transmission method. That was my original point. Many of the experts here continue to insist that this isn't possible.

The thing about ebola is it has to get in to your body, though. So keep open wounds covered, don't touch your face, dont rub your eyes, wash your hands, don't walk around open mouthed, you can greatly reduce your chances of getting it. Not to say it isn't possible, and it's very scary when it's right in your own backyard, so to speak, but the mass panic isn't doing anything other than... well... causing panic.

The thing about ebola is it has to get in to your body, though. So keep open wounds covered, don't touch your face, dont rub your eyes, wash your hands, don't walk around open mouthed, you can greatly reduce your chances of getting it. Not to say it isn't possible, and it's very scary when it's right in your own backyard, so to speak, but the mass panic isn't doing anything other than... well... causing panic.

You see panic, I see a lot of "stick my head in the sand and pretend it's not a problem."

Gonna disagree with you slightly, this happened because the Hospital in Texas, and their workers screwed up, it had nothing to do with the CDC! Just like the nurse flying, people selfishly refused to give up their travel plans after they were near the infected! These people didn't use common sense, and put others at risk!

The CDC has done an excellent job through the years to keep the cruise industry safe!

Surely you are kidding! The hospital DID NOT provide proper protection for these nurses- they did not screw up!! A nurse can not refuse her assignment, it's against the law...but probably wanted to when they saw the flimsy gowns and masks provided! The CDC did not have a "protocol" in place to ensure that Dallas Pres was treating this pt appropriately.

By the way, the nurse called the CDC prior to flying...and was given the all clear. I wouldn't call that selfish!! Now she is paying the price and the CDC is admitting their mistakes. They may have protected the cruise industry, but I am losing faith in them by the minute!

I'm sure the two infected nurses would find your post amusing.

I'm sure the two infected nurses would find your post amusing.

Ocean Boy, you are 100% right across the board. Why don't you fold up shop and join me in the preverbal wind jammer. You will find it more relaxing. :)

Ocean Boy, you are 100% right across the board. Why don't you fold up shop and join me in the preverbal wind jammer. You will find it more relaxing. :)

I'd love to join you, especially since my neck is getting sore from shaking my head in disbelief at some of the posts I've been reading on this thread.

Love Misquamicut Beach in the Summer!:)

Today there are millions in the stands enjoying College Football across America, tomorrow there will be millions in the stands enjoying the NFL!

We all got one thing in common, we're all going to die, so until then, I'm gonna enjoy life, and cruising!:D