Ebola Virus

I'm sure the two infected nurses would find your post amusing.

You mean the nurses who the hospital admits did not have the proper training to handle an Ebola patient?Nor, according to the nurses, did they have the proper protective equipment to safely treat the patient? You mean, from the patient who was initially discharged with antibiotics as NOT having Ebola???

As a health care provider myself, I'm quite comfortable in not joining the mass hysteria.

Edited by SunshineCruiser24

You mean the nurses who the hospital admits did not have the proper training to handle an Ebola patient?Nor, according to the nurses, did they have the proper protective equipment to safely treat the patient? You mean, from the patient who was initially discharged with antibiotics as NOT having Ebola???

As a health care provider myself, I'm quite comfortable in not joining the mass hysteria.

Yeah, the nurses that should have kept their mouths closed while walking around.:rolleyes:

There were reports that nurses didn't have the proper protective gowns and their necks were exposed and that the nurses breached protocol when removing their PPE. But hey, you wanna buy in to the mass hysteria, be my guest.

Yup, I'm hysterical can't you tell.

How many cases do you think it would take to overwhelm the American medical system considering everything else a typical hospital has to deal with in an average day?

Emory, U of Nebraska, Maryland and a fourth hospital have the units available for these type of infectious cases.....19 beds in total

Emory, U of Nebraska, Maryland and a fourth hospital have the units available for these type of infectious cases.....19 beds in total

We heard far different, Yale/New Haven has a women right now, here in Florida all our major Hospitals have facilities to handle infections!

Surely you are kidding! The hospital DID NOT provide proper protection for these nurses- they did not screw up!! A nurse can not refuse her assignment, it's against the law...but probably wanted to when they saw the flimsy gowns and masks provided! The CDC did not have a "protocol" in place to ensure that Dallas Pres was treating this pt appropriately.

By the way, the nurse called the CDC prior to flying...and was given the all clear. I wouldn't call that selfish!! Now she is paying the price and the CDC is admitting their mistakes. They may have protected the cruise industry, but I am losing faith in them by the minute!

She flew 2 days after Duncan died. She reported to her family while she was there, and trying on wedding gowns, that she was not feeling well. She only called CDC before she flew BACK to Dallas with the 99.5 fever. It appears the call to CDC was to cover herself as she knew she had symptoms.

We heard far different, Yale/New Haven has a women right now, here in Florida all our major Hospitals have facilities to handle infections!

Is she one of the 2 Sierra Leone returnees?

I heard one tested negative but still being monitored

Are you saying this one tested positive? Or just being monitored?

please clarify

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ebola takes the highest level of infectious disease isolation so though there are tons of isolation units around the country, only a very few for ebola.

I have no doubt that somewhere they have the count at 19 but I think that's greatly inflated. Supposedly between Nebraska, Emory, NIH and Missoula, Montana there are about 10 beds.

This is also part of the problem with various new coverage. Here in DFW we've been inundated with ebola news on TV. I call the main networks the EBOLA CHANNELS.

I swear that yesterday they interrupted an ebola segment with BREAKING EBOLA NEWS!

And you have a count of 19. Our news showed a total of 9. Not that it's a huge difference but the numbers from various sources can vary GREATLY.

Sometimes I feel it engenders a false sense of security and other times it generates a false sense of panic. I mean seriously. There are 4 hospitals. How hard is it to count beds in 4 hospitals and report it?

Nebraska: 2 to 3

Emory: 2

Missoula 1 to 2

NIH: 2 (amended to say they have 4-7 but staffing for only 2… that can be rectified by training).

So max that's 9. I have no idea where the 10 or the 19 count comes from. Or those stats can be under stated.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/10/14/us-hospitals-prepare-for-ebola/17221077/

Edited by bighairtexan

I'd love to join you, especially since my neck is getting sore from shaking my head in disbelief at some of the posts I've been reading on this thread.

When your ready I have a chair saved for you. I think they just put out the warm cookies and they would be great with ice cream.;)

I'd love to join you, especially since my neck is getting sore from shaking my head in disbelief at some of the posts I've been reading on this thread.

Amen! The total lack of understanding of basic science and epidemiology to say nothing of an apparent lack of understanding of what Ebola actually does to the human body (as shown by some posters) is downright scary.......:eek::eek::eek:

Is she one of the 2 Sierra Leone returnees?

I heard one tested negative but still being monitored

Are you saying this one tested positive? Or just being monitored?

please clarify

Thanks

Just monitored, tests so far say no!

Not sure if this has been shared here already, but this reporter says what I believe needs to be said on the subject of ebola...

http://fox13now.com/2014/10/16/news-anchor-the-ebola-message-everyone-needs-to-hear/

Thank you. While there is a chance that he may be downplaying the entire thing, I think that way too many people are seriously overreacting. I think the best course of action is to simply be aware and do what you can to avoid getting any type of illness.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Just booked another cruise yesterday so I'm not panicking but it does give me pause anytime this administration down plays something. Sorry if I'm less worried about media sensationalism than what's coming out of DC. At least we know what motivates the media.

Send the next ebola victim (if there is one?) To the east wing of the white house I'm sure michelle is as qualified as the guy they picked for ebola czar.

There is absolutely no reason to worry about a thing the government has it under control

Check out the "News" section on the Cruise Critic homepage. It has reported what steps C.L.I.A. (Cruise Lines International Association) and cruise lines are taking in regards to Ebola. However it doesn't speak of specific cruise lines such as Royal Caribbean.

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. said it has “strong and serious screening measures in place designed to prevent any at-risk person from boarding our ships. We have been working closely with CLIA on Ebola protocols that the entire industry is following.”

Source

Was going to refrain from posting as there does seem to be a lot of hysteria, panic and misinformation!

Perhaps everyone should take a leaf out of Shepard Smith’s book...

Not sure if this has been shared here already, but this reporter says what I believe needs to be said on the subject of ebola...

Although I don't see how Royal can recognize or identify anyone with Ebola boarding the ship, I feel that the risk is pretty small right now. It seems like the highest chance is for someone to intentionally board a ship with Ebola in a deliberate effort to infect people. I hope the terrorists haven't figured this out yet.

On the other hand, hopefully this media overhype causes cruise ship prices to fall and I can take advantage :)

The patient at Presby Dallas was sent home first, than returned and admitted. HOWEVER, he was not placed in isolation until he got a positive test result. How could the nurses break protocol if no isolation was ever placed? I am a nurse practitioner, and I am from the Dallas area. I live in Alaska right now but I spoke to friends who work at Presby. There are multiple people there now awaiting test results. The reality is that there COULD be people that will board a cruise with the disease. The cruise ships need to make a plan now. CDC is recommending ALL hospitals provide training in care of potential patients. If you are not a health care professional than this might not be as real to you as it is to us. If you are a health care professional and you are dismissing the threat, I would suggest you rethink it. Do we need to change our lives, no but we should demand that procedures be placed to provide for our safety? YES. Okay go ahead and start yelling...I am ready.

Send the next ebola victim (if there is one?) To the east wing of the white house I'm sure michelle is as qualified as the guy they picked for ebola czar.

There is absolutely no reason to worry about a thing the government has it under control

Wow talk about stupid. The Czar needs to know how to RUN things not practice medicine. Get a grip and tone it down.

I came across that boarder in Niagara back in July, both ways. You don't just merrily waltz across the boarder. I was just short cutting through from NY to Michigan and back. I was questioned, passport scrutinized. If there was a ban, they could get a lot of folks at those places. It certainly is not as easy as you make it out to be. Make it inconveinient as possible, that is a deterent unless you mean to be a spreader on porpose.

I didn't make it out as hard or easy.

Just pointed out that there are many other avenues beyond the obvious - and it's not as easy as just blocking flights from a country as some intimated.

Are you implying that medical issues resulting from actions of choice and those resulting from aquiring an infectious disease through no fault of your own are in some way related?

Given the cartoon had no reference to how it was acquired or cause, I have no idea how you inferred such a suggestion from that, let alone suggesting the poster implied it.

The patient at Presby Dallas was sent home first, than returned and admitted. HOWEVER, he was not placed in isolation until he got a positive test result. How could the nurses break protocol if no isolation was ever placed? I am a nurse practitioner, and I am from the Dallas area. I live in Alaska right now but I spoke to friends who work at Presby. There are multiple people there now awaiting test results. The reality is that there COULD be people that will board a cruise with the disease. The cruise ships need to make a plan now. CDC is recommending ALL hospitals provide training in care of potential patients. If you are not a health care professional than this might not be as real to you as it is to us. If you are a health care professional and you are dismissing the threat, I would suggest you rethink it. Do we need to change our lives, no but we should demand that procedures be placed to provide for our safety? YES. Okay go ahead and start yelling...I am ready.

I couldn't agree more. As a now retired anesthetist, I appreciate your post. I am not saying people should panic or even change their travel plans at this point - depending on the location, etc of those plans. But to just discount the whole issue as fear mongering or panic talk shows a lack of understanding of just how bad this can and could get.

I also agree that saying the nurses were breaking protocol when the protocols were not in place and then not strong or complete enough is unfair and just plain wrong. The only thing I question is the wisdom of placing yourself in large, closed public settings during the 21 day window after contact with the patient or his bodily fluids.

It seems like protocol should provide a "buffer zone" for these healthcare workers to stay for the 21 days after contact. That is the only way to insure that there won't be more and more cases. But that is not happening and so the barn door may already be open. Only time will tell.....

Wow talk about stupid. The Czar needs to know how to RUN things not practice medicine. Get a grip and tone it down.

Totally disagree. The comments from non-medical people here prove that point in spades! The Czar needs BOTH - in depth medical knowledge and how to "run" things.

Knee jerk reactions from extremists on both sides of the aisle is a large part of what is wrong with the US today!

I totally agree that the "Czar" picked was a wrong and obviously political selection. But I don't think the comment about sending Ebola patients to the White House was necessary. And to pretend that the selection was a good one because someone (in charge of meeting this challenge) doesn't need medical knowledge is not exactly the smartest of comments either.

Can we just be Americans for a minute and put the left and right aside.....

Edited by Tranquil Waters