Royal Caribbean removes corkage fee for bottles of wine

I sent a tweet to @royalcaribbean this morning asking about this and I just received a reply confirming that they have dropped the corkage fee.:)

Thanks Ken! I wonder how soon the people on the ships will know.

The rep I spoke to this morning just called me back and said corkage WAS removed, but that it isn't updated on the website. :confused:

Now, whether anyone told anyone onboard a ship is a different matter.

Sure are putting the fun in dysfunctional this fine Monday!

So I can bring my own wine- 2 bottles and no cork fee. Sweet. Even better. Dumb question... I don't bring my own bottle opener.. I go to a bar and say...open this?

Yes, or ask your stateroom attendant or room service for a corkscrew and glasses.

Glad to hear this. We never had a problem paying the corkage fee, but it always seemed awkward. On our last cruise, DH had taken a bottle of white wine down to the MDR earlier in the day and asked to have it chilled. At the end of dinner, we were kind of waiting around for our server to take our card and charge us the corkage fee. She basically said "don't bother, no charge". We were grateful but I didn't want her to get in trouble. Another night we took a bottle to Chops, and the waiter was so apologetic that he had to charge us the fee, I felt bad for him. We were glad to pay it.

We have a group of 11 in 5 cabins - one of the cabins has an 18 yr old and a 14 yr old. Will they still be able to take 2 bottles or does it go off the ages? It's a european cruise so the under 21's can drink alcohol on ship

If you have an 18 year old in the cabin they will be able to take 2 bottles. 2 per cabin as long as there's someone 18 or over in the cabin.

Now to convince my inlaws to bring two bottles of wine. My father in law loves the wine we drink. Question... Lambics....how big a bottle can we bring to be considered "wine bottles"?

I believe that it's a max size of 750ml. None of those 1.5L beasts allowed. I heard even 1 1.5L is not allowed since they want 2 750ml bottles specifically (or smaller shouldn't be an issue but why go smaller?)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oh, now it states, bars or dining venues. So I can't bring wine to the pool or lounge?

If it's really true that the corkage fee is gone, I would expect you could bring your wine anywhere. Of course, they don't like glass in the pool area.

Okay, here's my question . . . if I bring my own bottle of white wine into the MDR, will the waitstaff chill it for me so that I can enjoy it the following night (or over the course of two or three nights)? When I have purchased a bottle in the MDR, I know that they will store it chilled so that I can enjoy it over the course of two or three nights (I like wine but do not drink more than a glass or two per night). Having never brought a bottle into the MDR and paid the corkage fee, it is unclear to me how this will work going forward. Any thoughts??

Okay, here's my question . . . if I bring my own bottle of white wine into the MDR, will the waitstaff chill it for me so that I can enjoy it the following night (or over the course of two or three nights)? When I have purchased a bottle in the MDR, I know that they will store it chilled so that I can enjoy it over the course of two or three nights (I like wine but do not drink more than a glass or two per night). Having never brought a bottle into the MDR and paid the corkage fee, it is unclear to me how this will work going forward. Any thoughts??

Yes, they will chill it for you. Or you can ask your stateroom attendant for a bucket and ice and have it chilled in your stateroom.

I'll chill it for you ;) :D