Royal Caribbean removes corkage fee for bottles of wine

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqId=5442&faqSubjectId=336

From the RC website:

Q: Does Royal Caribbean charge a corkage fee?

A: No. Guests wishing to bring personal wine and champagne onboard may do so only on boarding day, limited to two (2) 750 ml bottles per stateroom. No beer or hard liquor may be brought onboard for consumption.

Additional bottles of wine beyond two (2) bottles that are brought onboard or any alcoholic beverages purchased in ports of call or from onboard shops during the cruise vacation will be stored onboard and delivered to guest staterooms on the last day of the sailing.

I used the search function for "corkage fee" and the answer was similar to yours. And it is true, as far as it goes. No corkage fee when consumed in the room.:)

Then I asked for "corkage fee MDR" and several related questions came up, all with the same answer which included the information that $25 corkage fee would be charged in public venues....:(

So since other posters have also mentioned it, I ask:

Where on the website did you find the information to print off that indicated there was NO corkage fee? I had intended to print it off.:confused:

Bill

I asked the RCI the following

Could you please confirm the rumours that the corkage fee is no longer to be charged if a guest takes a bottle of wine/champagne that they brought on board during initial embarkation to the MDR or speciality restaurant?

On Wednesday, 22nd Oct I received this reply

Royal Caribbean International 10/22, 10:45am

Hi Peter, the rumours are indeed true, there is no longer a corkage fee.

Here's a picture comparison between a one liter wine carton in a zip lock plastic bag and a 750ml glass wine bottle in a protective bubble sleeve. The box is superior in all aspects, cost, durability, weight and volume. The cost alone of the wine diaper is $5 each if three are bought. I didn't pay much more than that for that box wine and the zip bag was a freeby.

attachment.php?attachmentid=328549&d=1413864136

We took 2 bottles of wine per cabin (had 5 cabins) to drink on balcony. Didn't take any down to mdr though. To take them on board we used these plastic packages shown on photos on previous posts but got them from work out of printer ink refills

On the Adventure now and had no problems with my own wine in the dining room. The waiter knew the new rule. Although, when I asked at guest services, they guaranteed me that there was a corkage fee and even called a supervisor and he confirmed the fee. I was confused and asked at the dining room and laughed at guest services :)

I has no problem bringing it onboard and I'm sure that we could have brought 2 bottles per person since security boarding was VERY poor.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was initially going to just buy bottles on boar as the $25 corkage fee made no sense but now will bring on bottles.

If we buy a bottle and don't finish it at a meal, I read they will recork it for you until the next meal and bring it out again. I wonder will they recork bottles that you bring on board and do the same? I doubt it but thought I'd ask. My wife and I only drink a glass each at a meals so won't go through a bottle. I guess we can always bring our own cap to recork it and bring it back to the room.

Any thoughts or experience?

I was initially going to just buy bottles on boar as the $25 corkage fee made no sense but now will bring on bottles.

If we buy a bottle and don't finish it at a meal, I read they will recork it for you until the next meal and bring it out again. I wonder will they recork bottles that you bring on board and do the same? I doubt it but thought I'd ask. My wife and I only drink a glass each at a meals so won't go through a bottle. I guess we can always bring our own cap to recork it and bring it back to the room.

Any thoughts or experience?

In our recent experience on the Freedom and Enchantment, YES. Absolutely no problem. In fact they offered to do it. We were reluctant to ask, since it was our own bottle.

They even had the bottle sent to Chops for us.

Cheers!

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

In our recent experience on the Freedom and Enchantment, YES. Absolutely no problem. In fact they offered to do it. We were reluctant to ask, since it was our own bottle.

They even had the bottle sent to Chops for us.

Cheers!

M

Same on Liberty last week - no problem at all. :)

I has no problem bringing it onboard and I'm sure that we could have brought 2 bottles per person since security boarding was VERY poor.

I don't wanna start a controversial subject, but heck, I agree with you!

I carried 2 bottles in my backpack, and my wife carried two as well. Not once did they verify the rooms, etc...

My folks were in a separate stateroom, and didn't bring any, so we were using their allotment, but the security never questioned us at all. Had they asked, I woulda' just had my father carry it on, and hand it to me once on board.

Has anyone been having issues with the new no-corkage-fee policy? We sail next week, just want to make sure it's been going smoothly and nobody's being charged.

No problems for us on Enchantment last month. We took two bottles to the table and no questions were asked. They poured the wine for us as usual.

• 1 month later...
We have reservations at Sabor on Sunday night (first night) can we bring the wine to the MDR so they can be chilled for Monday? We have MTD and I'm not sure how that would work.

You can do that if you want. I'd make sure I gave the wine to a headwaiter.

Personally, I'd rather keep the wine myself. You can ask your stateroom attendant for a wine bucket with ice and keep the wine in your stateroom. Less chance of getting lost that way.

Edited by clarea

Do I have to bring a bottle opener too if I drink in my stateroom? And if I start the wine in our room, can I bring a half of a bottle to the MDR table?

You can get a corkscrew from your stateroom attendant or a bar. You can bring a full, half, or any amount left in your bottle to anyplace on the ship.

Do I have to bring a bottle opener too if I drink in my stateroom? And if I start the wine in our room, can I bring a half of a bottle to the MDR table?

You can get a corkscrew from your stateroom attendant or a bar. You can bring a full, half, or any amount left in your bottle to anyplace on the ship.

IMO, the corkscrew provided on board is terrible. They will actually open the wine for you at a bar; a much better solution. :)

I also just take my own corkscrew with me, just in case.

My family will be getting the Ultimate beverage package but my mom drinks champagne and not enough to warrant the package.

Is it correct that Royal lets each guest bring on, without charging a corking fee, two bottles? If so, we will each bring on 2 bottles of champagne so my mom can drink either in cabin or at dinner. If we have to pay the fee, Ill just order directly from Royal.

Thanks.

js

My family will be getting the Ultimate beverage package but my mom drinks champagne and not enough to warrant the package.

Is it correct that Royal lets each guest bring on, without charging a corking fee, two bottles? If so, we will each bring on 2 bottles of champagne so my mom can drink either in cabin or at dinner. If we have to pay the fee, Ill just order directly from Royal.

Thanks.

js

Royal allows two 750ml bottles of wine per stateroom, not per person.

Just off the Allure today. Our group brought 6 bottles of wine to dinner, not a single fee charged!
Just off 7 days on Enchantment. Brought 4 bottles of wine to dinner and no mention of corkage fees.
We brought 4 bottles, and did not pay a corkage fee.

I asked our waiter before hand, he said there was, I told him that RCI just tweeted it, and he said he has to ask, and sure enough came back, and did not charge us the fee.

Just off the Enchantment 4-nighter. Brought on 4 bottles of wine, brought one each night to the MDR, no corkage fee.

Just another data point - we were on Indy in November, brought our wine to dinner and no mention of corkage fees either. Sounds like the word is getting out to the crew on this, fortunately!

Edited by LetsGetWet!

We brought 4 bottles, and did not pay a corkage fee.
Just off the Enchantment 4-nighter. Brought on 4 bottles of wine, brought one each night to the MDR, no corkage fee.
I don't wanna start a controversial subject, but heck, I agree with you!

I carried 2 bottles in my backpack, and my wife carried two as well. Not once did they verify the rooms, etc...

My folks were in a separate stateroom, and didn't bring any, so we were using their allotment, but the security never questioned us at all. Had they asked, I woulda' just had my father carry it on, and hand it to me once on board.

Shhh... :D I think lots of people do that - I admit we do it regularly. When we get ready to go through the security stations for boarding, my DW and I usually separate and go through separate lines/scanners. Never been questioned at all about the 2 bottles we each have in our carry on!

Just another data point - we were on Indy in November, brought our wine to dinner and no mention of corkage fees either. Sounds like the word is getting out to the crew on this, fortunately!

Not on the Adventure :( We just returned from our NYE cruise and one night my husband told our waiter that he was planning to bring a bottle of wine the next day. The waiter told us that there was a corkage fee. I knew about the change in policy but he didn't. My husband decided to drink the bottle on our cabin. :D

We got off the jewel 5 days ago. I brought bottles on board and wanted to give them to the MDR to chill. We were on MTD and I was told by the guy who works the front of the line (not sure what his position is exactly) that there is no longer a corkage fee but now we are not allowed to bring bottles into the MDR and must drink them in the cabins!

I called BS and insisted that he was wrong and he relented and took the bottles and we had no problems asking the waiters to bring them later during the cruise.

On the last night we met some people on the cruise who were told the same thing and had accepted it and ended up leaving their bottles in the cabin and ordering wine each night...

Edited by lewinr