Extra Costs?

SMN73

Hi All!

We are currently booked on a Royal Caribbean ship out of San Juan next May. Found that we can take the Liberty on Carnival, same time frame, with basically the same itinerary, for about half the price, so REALLY considering cancelling and booking on Carnival.

I have only been on one other cruise, and that was on Royal. There were lots of things we could do or places we could eat for an extra charge. On the Liberty, what are the restaurants and other things (besides alcohol) that are NOT included in the cruise fare (example...guys burgers, a think there is a sweet shop, anything else??)?

Thanks!

It's about the same on each cruise line...The MDR and buffet are included....and there are usually a few other smaller places that carry no charge, too There will be prices posted if a charge is associated with it.

Yes... Carnival is almost always less than RCi, and they have larger standard cabins, as well! You can have a great cruise with plenty to eat without every paying "extra" for food.

Of course, sodas and alcohol are extra on on the mainstream lines.

You mentioned Guy's Burgers. It is included in the fair with no up charge. It is right by the pool and is counter service style. So is the Mexican Cantina.

Basically, your extra charges will be drinks (sodas, specialty coffees, alcoholic and non alcoholic specialty drinks - pretty much anything but water, tea, fruit juices, and milk), spa services, organized exercise classes although the equipment in the gym is free, items in the shops including the sweet shop, shore excursions, and any specialty restaurant you choose. Hopefully I'm not missing anything, but all the other activities and offerings are included in your cruise fare…even room service.

Basically, anything you had to pay for on your Royal Caribbean cruise you'll have to pay for on a Carnival cruise. We continue to cruise Carnival over Royal because of the price difference. We love Carnival's food and staff. Their newer ships are by far the best because they are in great condition. I'm not sure how old the Liberty is, but I'm guessing she a sister to the Freedom which we have sailed on and she was in good shape.

Either way, have a fun time! You can't go wrong with either line if you have an open mind.

I was VERY surprised at the price difference. We can book an Ocean Suite on Liberty for the price we are currently booked at for an oceanview stateroom. No balcony. No tub. And almost 60% less square footage. Whoa.

From videos I've seen, the rooms look great. I understand the Liberty isn't as big as the Adventure of the Seas, but we did Enchantment first, so Liberty would still be larger than what we are used to!

What are the suite perks on Carnival?

I was VERY surprised at the price difference. We can book an Ocean Suite on Liberty for the price we are currently booked at for an oceanview stateroom. No balcony. No tub. And almost 60% less square footage. Whoa.

From videos I've seen, the rooms look great. I understand the Liberty isn't as big as the Adventure of the Seas, but we did Enchantment first, so Liberty would still be larger than what we are used to!

Personally, I would skip the suites and go for an aft-wrap balcony catergory 9C) or aft-view (category 8M and 8N).

The aft wraps are to die for. Worth every penny. The suites don't have many perks other than priority boarding....but you can buy that with Faster to the Fun for $49.95.

Edited by gone_cruisin

I didn't see what Royal ship your cruising on in your post? The liberty is awesome to cruise on!

Azmike480

Sorry. Currently we are booked on Adventure of the Seas out of Puerto Rico in May 2015

Does the Carnival ship have a rock-climbing wall? An ice-skating rink? Mini-golf course? Basketball court? In-line skating track?

Right, and that is why I changed from RCL to CCL. I don't plan to use any of those things, but guess who is paying for them in my cruise price.... Right, Me.

We sailed the Liberty back in May and loved it. We got a fantastic price for the Liberty and truly had no complaints. Only issue we had was not being able to stop in Roatan due to wind. I have never sailed on Royal, their prices are just way too high for me to be able to do. I also am not interested in rock climbing, zip lining, ice skating, wave riders, etc.

Most of the Carnival ships I have been on have basketball courts and I seem to recall most have a small mini-golf course. I like the pools, hot tubs. Food has always been good. Loved the guys burgers and the stand that had taco's. I think we ate at one of those two every day, my sister and dad also tried the Mongolian and said it was really good too.

Don't cruise on Carnival because of the suite perks since there are almost none. Cruise on Carnival because you want to save money. With that said, the Liberty is our favorite Carnival ship. Been on her twice and loved her both times. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

Don't cruise on Carnival because of the suite perks since there are almost none. Cruise on Carnival because you want to save money. With that said, the Liberty is our favorite Carnival ship. Been on her twice and loved her both times. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Very true. I am trying to decide between a suite, an aft balcony or the premium balcony 8449.

Any opinions anyone?

Does the Carnival ship have a rock-climbing wall? An ice-skating rink? Mini-golf course? Basketball court? In-line skating track?

Mini golf..yes. Basketball..yes. Not on all ships but on Liberty.

Now rock climbing..why? :confused: I am on a cruise ship. I will do an excursion if I want to climb rocks.

In line skating? Again, you are on a cruise ship FFS. :rolleyes:

And seriously, I live in Maine. If I want to ice skate I can practically do it year round. :p

Went on Freedom of the Seas and never used a single one of these things. It just wasn't part of my cruise idea. And I don't need to pay the extra cruise cost to cover these ridiculous things.

Guys, blue iguana cantina, the Mongolian wok, sea day brunch, tea time are all included. Steak house, suess breakfast, coffee bar, sweet desserts at the coffee bar there is a charge. Ice cream and pizza free. Room service free, limited menu, tip for delivery. Have fun whatever you do.

Very true. I am trying to decide between a suite, an aft balcony or the premium balcony 8449.

Any opinions anyone?

I would personally go with the best bang for the buck, IMHO when it comes to a balcony, and that would be 1 of 4 8A's that have a double sized balcony. They are L shaped cabins numbered 6442, 6450, 6473 and 6481.

I always look for value when cruising and I was in cabin 6473 on the Freedom and loved it. Good luck with your decision.

It depends on what you want. If you cruise to do things on the ship then the Adventure is much bigger and better. The promenade is a great place to hang out at the bars and the parades, much better than anything Carnival has to offer. Now as everyone else has mentioned Guy's burgers and the Mexican buffet are better than anything RCI has. If you want to save money then Carnival is your way to go. Either way you will have a good time.

The bathrooms are bigger, nicer and have a tub in a suite. You also have a sitting area for getting ready in a suite which is really nice when you have one showering and wife trying to get ready. Suites are mid ship and very quiet part of the ship (only rooms above and below). We have sailed in both but once we went to a suite eight cruises ago we would not think of anything else the bathroom and sitting are is worth it for us. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums