Our first BB cruise -advise, recommendations?

OC PAT

Hi there. We're doing our first BB cruise on the Jewell next November in the Caribbean. We have cruised many times and have been to all the islands on our itinerary. CC has been so helpful in the past so I thought I'd go to the experts. Any suggestions/helpful hints we can take advantage of? Your input is truly appreciated!

This may seem obvious but make sure you get the same cabin for each part of your trip. No need to pack and move your belongings. You just walk off the ship to a holding area and before you know it you are getting back on for the second part of your trip. No need to mess with your bags again or unpack. We did this on our BTB in Bermuda. Just want to point out that the ship has to be cleared of all passengers at the end of the cruise even though some may be continuing for another week. We did receive a letter in our room that gave us instructions for meeting in the reception area and acompany rep would take us off the ship and take us to an area where we would be the first to board for the second half of our trip. Come to think of it, this was on NCL not RCCL. I would imagine the procedure would be similar. I'm sure a RCCL passenger will fill you in. Have a great trip ....it will be twice as nice!

Having the second cruise with the same stateroom is nice. But, should that not be available, the cabin attendant will help you move to your next one. The clothes stay on hangers and are moved that way, while your other stuff can be shoved in your luggage for transport. It is easy and quick to take it all out and put it back just where you had it.

You will get a new seapass. I believe as you leave the ship, you give the old one back and when you return you use the new one. You can choose to get off the ship and explore your port city, or you can gather in the designated area for coffee/breakfast/snacks with the other back-to-backers. If you explore the city, I believe that you simply reboard when everyone else does for the second cruise. If you choose to go with the gang, you just leave the ship, go into the terminal for customs (with your passports) and then return to the ship. It is easy.

Bill

I should have told you that we have booked the same cabin. I did read a recent review and it seemed that the change over is pretty easy unless the coast guard inspection is a total one.

We will be staying in San Juan pre and post cruise and have stayed in this delightful port about 10 times so we really do not have a need to explore the town between cruises.

Dunblane.anderson I am looking forward to reviewing your review. Thanks for sharing.

Keep them coming folks. The one thing I've learned cruising is that you never know everything and there's so much fun in learning!

My advice is to not worry about it. Don't even spend time thinking about it because it can be a little different on each ship and no one person's explanation will state what will happen on your ship, exactly (approximately, yes :) ). There will be a letter in your stateroom giving you all the details of what you need to know, plus a meeting as well to go over all the instructions.

Enjoy your B2B. I wish all our cruises could be B2B - they are very special. :)

When I cruise I am in a very relax mode. Just wanted to know if there were some good ideas in the transition.

Also I'm interested in what ideas folks have for going on a 2 week cruise. I do believe I will take advantage of the laundry specials since it will be a total 18 days vacation. We are not picture takers or buyers so that's not part of our interest in this trip. We usually book our own tours/adventures . We do not have any duplicates ports on our total itinerary. We are in a balcony cabin.

I agree that every B2B turnover has the potential to be different. It can depend on so many factors such as changes in Guest Services Managers, the Port Authority and other factors.

That being said, B2B turnovers generally run quite smoothly. We experienced this on Jewel earlier this year. It felt SO GOOD not to have to disembark after the first week. We went into town and had a special line to exit the terminal. All of this was explained in the special B2B meeting they held one evening.

You will love it!

When I cruise I am in a very relax mode. Just wanted to know if there were some good ideas in the transition.

Also I'm interested in what ideas folks have for going on a 2 week cruise. I do believe I will take advantage of the laundry specials since it will be a total 18 days vacation. We are not picture takers or buyers so that's not part of our interest in this trip. We usually book our own tours/adventures . We do not have any duplicates ports on our total itinerary. We are in a balcony cabin.

Our draw to B2B Cruises (Caribbean) is 7 days is waaaay to short for us. True 14 night Cruises seem to be going away. Turn around day for us has always been smooth and quick. We always have the same cabin and make sure the Cruise does two different itineraires. Makes it all that much better.

My advice is to not worry about it. Don't even spend time thinking about it because it can be a little different on each ship and no one person's explanation will state what will happen on your ship, exactly (approximately, yes :) ). There will be a letter in your stateroom giving you all the details of what you need to know, plus a meeting as well to go over all the instructions.

Enjoy your B2B. I wish all our cruises could be B2B - they are very special. :)

This is very good advice. Don't stress. They'll let you know exactly what you need to do. We loved our B2B.

We had a small sized patio table on our balcony on the Jewel with 2 chairs and also a lounger (think we were just lucky on that!) and we often picked up lunch at the Windjammer, poured a glass of our own wine and enjoyed lunch on our balcony both in port and a couple of times while sailing. It was Wonderful!!!!!!!

First time we have had a high table on a ship. Going on the Indy next month and we will be back to the tiny low table.

Loved the Jewel of the Seas! Loved the B2B! Enjoy!

Ellen

I should have told you that we have booked the same cabin. I did read a recent review and it seemed that the change over is pretty easy unless the coast guard inspection is a total one.

We will be staying in San Juan pre and post cruise and have stayed in this delightful port about 10 times so we really do not have a need to explore the town between cruises.

Dunblane.anderson I am looking forward to reviewing your review. Thanks for sharing.

Keep them coming folks. The one thing I've learned cruising is that you never know everything and there's so much fun in learning!

Having the same cabin is very nice.

Still, I'd say if a terrific upgrade opportunity comes along for only one leg, consider grabbing it, especially if the second leg is the better cabin. The small hassle of changing cabins could easily be outweighed by nicer digs for the rest of the week. Opinions might vary, of course...

B2B are different on each ship and port the first we did we had to leave the ship, the last on explorer in NYC we did not saying that it was 2 weeks after Sandy hit, best bit knowing that you have a least another 7 days to enjoy. Our sea pass cards for the second cruise have normally been left in the cabin the last night of the first cruise. You will be given the info about where and when to meet the staff will take great care of you. Yes the ship requires a zero count if that means that you walk off then back on board it takes a few minutes which every way it goes just remember you have more days to enjoy:)

Best parts of b2b on day 7 is having some quiet time on the ship, being settled in your room when everyone else is just coming on, sleeping in on disembarking day, being able to come and go to your room when the other passengers are waiting for their room to be ready, and walking down the hall the last night of week one knowing you have a whole additional week to enjoy. Sometimes depending on the ship there is a special mdr lunch just for b2b cruisers which is very nice, but unfortunately not always done. Be aware that you do have to go to both muster drills. Enjoy!!!!! very hard to ever do a 7 day again!

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Forums mobile app

Best parts of b2b on day 7 is having some quiet time on the ship, being settled in your room when everyone else is just coming on, sleeping in on disembarking day, being able to come and go to your room when the other passengers are waiting for their room to be ready, and walking down the hall the last night of week one knowing you have a whole additional week to enjoy. Sometimes depending on the ship there is a special mdr lunch just for b2b cruisers which is very nice, but unfortunately not always done. Be aware that you do have to go to both muster drills. Enjoy!!!!! very hard to ever do a 7 day again!

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Forums mobile app

Muster drills are necessity but I just hate theme! I love when they do them in the lounges. The sleeping in and less stress of packing is a big plus. We live in a resort and when everyone is checking out on Saturdays we just become so smug.

We had a small sized patio table on our balcony on the Jewel with 2 chairs and also a lounger (think we were just lucky on that!) and we often picked up lunch at the Windjammer, poured a glass of our own wine and enjoyed lunch on our balcony both in port and a couple of times while sailing. It was Wonderful!!!!!!!

First time we have had a high table on a ship. Going on the Indy next month and we will be back to the tiny low table.

Loved the Jewel of the Seas! Loved the B2B! Enjoy

Ellen

Were the high tables on Jewell? I have leg problems and the chairs are so hard on me in a high chair. Love the idea of having lunch on the balcony when in port.

Having the same cabin is very nice.

Still, I'd say if a terrific upgrade opportunity comes along for only one leg, consider grabbing it, especially if the second leg is the better cabin. The small hassle of changing cabins could easily be outweighed by nicer digs for the rest of the week. Opinions might vary, of course...

Are you more likely to get a visit from the upgrade fairy when you do BB or is it just the luck of the draw? I do love our balcony mid-ship on the hump cabin and it would have to be a really super cabin to change.

I agree that every B2B turnover has the potential to be different. It can depend on so many factors such as changes in Guest Services Managers, the Port Authority and other factors.

That being said, B2B turnovers generally run quite smoothly. We experienced this on Jewel earlier this year. It felt SO GOOD not to have to disembark after the first week. We went into town and had a special line to exit the terminal. All of this was explained in the special B2B meeting they held one evening.

You will love it!

It is nice to know about the special exit line. Are taxis close to go into town? I enjoy the free trolley downtown and can do that for a couple of laps. I'm thinking if the weather is crummy we may go into town otherwise we'll just chill on our balcony and smile big time!

I am really enjoying this thread since my DW and I are doing a B2B on Indy in January. My question is this: Do I need to print the set sail pass for both legs of the cruise prior to boarding week 1?

cewtaldad you will have to come back to this thread and give us a report on the BB, advise anyways. You have asked a question I hadn't thought of. I'm sure our wise friends will have a response soon.

I really appreciate your responses. I assume if you are not in your cabin on turn around day you have to be in an assigned lounge in the morning. It would be nice to hang out at the pool but then again if I remember right the pool is not open until the evening.

I am really enjoying this thread since my DW and I are doing a B2B on Indy in January. My question is this: Do I need to print the set sail pass for both legs of the cruise prior to boarding week 1?

You only need to print out the Set Sail Pass for the first leg of your B2B Cruise.

Edited by davekathy

I really appreciate your responses. I assume if you are not in your cabin on turn around day you have to be in an assigned lounge in the morning. It would be nice to hang out at the pool but then again if I remember right the pool is not open until the evening.

On turn around day you can not stay in your cabin. You will be instructed at least the day before where all B2B'ers will need to meet and what you will need to bring with you. No stress. Just follow the simple instructions provided to you and you'll be sitting by the pool enjoying a drink and watching new Cruisers come aboard before you know it.

Are you more likely to get a visit from the upgrade fairy when you do BB or is it just the luck of the draw? I do love our balcony mid-ship on the hump cabin and it would have to be a really super cabin to change.

I know not the ways of the upgrade fairy; I wish I did! I have no reason to think B2B is no more likely to get an upgrade fairy visit. Whether you do or do not want a visit from the upgrade fairy, make sure your profile is marked appropriately for your B2B.

In my previous post, I was thinking of DIY upgrades. If you follow prices between now and your sailing, you might happen to catch a price drop. Personally, if the price of a JS were to drop close to the price I paid for my balcony, I'd probably upgrade for that leg. Especially if it was the second leg; it is just more fun to move up than to move down. Not everybody would do it, but I would. For a GS or better, I'd certainly move.

We usually stay in the same cabin for B2B, but once we had to move. It was not a big deal for us. The stewards did much of the work for us.

Have a great time.