Our first BB cruise -advise, recommendations?

OC PAT

Hi there. We're doing our first BB cruise on the Jewell next November in the Caribbean. We have cruised many times and have been to all the islands on our itinerary. CC has been so helpful in the past so I thought I'd go to the experts. Any suggestions/helpful hints we can take advantage of? Your input is truly appreciated!

Sounds like you chose wisely, 2 different cruise itineraries! 9 different stops, only 2 sea days!

Definitely get the same room for both weeks!

At the half way point of your cruise, check with RCL and see if they have an excursion you can take while in San Juan waiting for the next load of passengers to board!

Having over 12 hours in Old San Juan, you could do something on your own if you don't want to do an excursion! Old San Juan is a very beautiful, safe place to walk around, and then there's always the free shuttles that take you on 3 different routes around Old San Juan to the Forts, etc.!

Have fun!:D

Do you have to pay 250pp x2

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Are you talking down payment for the Cruises? If so yes. Remember a B2B Cruise (consecutive) is two different Cruises. You'll have two different invoice numbers when you book. They will be listed that way on RCCLs website when you do your on line check in.

Edited by davekathy

staying in the same cabin if you want to give your cabin steward/favorite bartender/server an extra tip, do you give some after first leg and then again at the end of the second, or just once at the end?

We’re not extra tippers. So no real advise. I would imagine that would be strictly up to you when you tip extra for the outstanding service you have received on the first leg. We always do Early Traditional Dining in the MDR table for two. On our B2B Cruises we have never had the same wait staff on the second leg. On one of our B2B’ers we were even put on a different table for two (another great location). So if you want to tip your first leg wait staff extra you may want to do it the last night of the first leg.

We always tip room steward at the end of the 2nd week unless he or she has been unresponsive the 1st week, then we may tip as an incentive to step it up. That has only happened once though. As far as staying in the cabin, you absolutely can sleep in, just tell room steward the night before, but be mindful there will be a time when all b2b meet in a lounge and go off the ship to have ship cleared, depending on port go through immigration, then right back on with new sea pass. This is usually 9:30 or 10. Don't be late though as one person can hold up the whole group of b2b'rs and it will be an unhappy group when you do show up. This also delays the whole ship being cleared. Once that is done, you can come and go as much as you want from your cabin. If we don't need much in the room we often tell the room steward there is no need to clean our room that day if just the towels could be replaced. I cannot tell you how much it means to them when theyhave so little time to turn alot of rooms around. Every time we have done this our room is completely done during dinner which is just fine with us.

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Forums mobile app

This is very good advice. Don't stress. They'll let you know exactly what you need to do. We loved our B2B.

We just did a B2B on the Explorer. We kept asking and they kept saying they would tell us. I finally went to guest services at 8 pm the night before to get the details. The official information was put in our door holder AFTER we went to bed at 11 pm. The actual time from the gathering of the group, clearing customs and getting back on board, including shuttle time at Cape Liberty was around an hour.

We did a 5 day then a 9 day. It was actually nice to have those 5 menus repeated over the 9 day so we could eat some favorites again and try some new stuff. Some of the entertainment was understandably repeated. We waited to do the ice show on the second leg. I would prefer a 14 day itinerary but would do another B2B to be able to keep cruising!

Were the high tables on Jewell? I have leg problems and the chairs are so hard on me in a high chair. Love the idea of having lunch on the balcony when in port.

Yes, the table was a standard table height with regular patio chairs. Very comfortable. Never had that kind of table before on a cruise - like our patio table at home but, of course, smaller diameter.

Ellen

It is nice to know about the special exit line. Are taxis close to go into town? I enjoy the free trolley downtown and can do that for a couple of laps. I'm thinking if the weather is crummy we may go into town otherwise we'll just chill on our balcony and smile big time!

We went into town on our turnaround day. Lots of taxis right at the port. We shared with another couple who were also going into town. Cut the cost a bit.

Ellen

We’re not extra tippers. So no real advise. I would imagine that would be strictly up to you when you tip extra for the outstanding service you have received on the first leg. We always do Early Traditional Dining in the MDR table for two. On our B2B Cruises we have never had the same wait staff on the second leg. On one of our B2B’ers we were even put on a different table for two (another great location). So if you want to tip your first leg wait staff extra you may want to do it the last night of the first leg.

We always tip the room attendant after each week' cause it has happened several times where the room attendant changed for week 2' and we were left to hunt down our first week's attendant!:eek:

You only need to print out the Set Sail Pass for the first leg of your B2B Cruise.

Do we need to keep a copy of our 2nd leg of the Set Sail Pass and present it when we go through on the 2nd leg? Or is that pass not necessary? I like to make my copies before I leave home and I separate all items that can not be lost in the safe keeping of my DH since I can get scattered.

daveKathy-We may not have the same table assignment for both cruises in the case of traditional dining. We must leave the cabin on turn around day and report to the assigned lounge per their directive.

homeschoolmama-advised that we should be prompt in our reporting to the assigned turn around lounge unless we want to upset our fellow cruisers. She also suggests that if we are so inclined to tell our cabin steward to skip morning clean-up on this turn-around day. Great suggestion!

Mama Bear said they didn't get their turn around day information until 11 PM. So we just need to stay on top of it and if we go to bed early, check with guest services. Based on what I have heard from others Mama Bear's experience is to the exception but it is a worthy reminder that it could happen.

InToronto said Taxis to go into town our available and one could save a few $'s by sharing the ride. Toronto made me happy by letting me know that the balcony chairs and tables are the usually low position.

American Bear recommended if we want to extra tip, then do so at the end of the first leg because we may not have the same staff. Bear also reminded me that we are in port for 12 hours.

Starry Eyes wishes like all of us that she had the inside info. on the ways of the upgrade fairy. One's odds don't seem to improve by booking a BB. She recommended that we watch the prices on our cabins which we do. I doubt it will go lower because as we took advantage of by one and the second person is 1/2 price but you never know.

Thanks to all for sharing.

One other thought come to mind. We do hit the specialty restaurants now and then. Does it matter if we do them on the first or second leg based on your experiences.

I know not the ways of the upgrade fairy; I wish I did! I have no reason to think B2B is no more likely to get an upgrade fairy visit. Whether you do or do not want a visit from the upgrade fairy, make sure your profile is marked appropriately for your B2B.

In my previous post, I was thinking of DIY upgrades. If you follow prices between now and your sailing, you might happen to catch a price drop. Personally, if the price of a JS were to drop close to the price I paid for my balcony, I'd probably upgrade for that leg. Especially if it was the second leg; it is just more fun to move up than to move down. Not everybody would do it, but I would. For a GS or better, I'd certainly move.

We usually stay in the same cabin for B2B, but once we had to move. It was not a big deal for us. The stewards did much of the work for us.

Have a great time.

I think I should know this but what do you mean make sure that our profile is marked appropriately? Where do we check/see this?

Do we need to keep a copy of our 2nd leg of the Set Sail Pass and present it when we go through on the 2nd leg? Or is that pass not necessary? I like to make my copies before I leave home and I separate all items that can not be lost in the safe keeping of my DH since I can get scattered.

No need to print out the Set Sail Pass for the secong leg of your Cruise. If you are staying in the same cabin let your cabin steward know your doing a B2B Cruise. In our case they have always known but I just want to make sure. We have always had the same cabin steward for all of our B2B Cruises. Enjoy your B2B Cruise.

I've really enjoyed this thread! We are going on our first B2B over the holidays, and many of our questions have been answered here.

We'll be in two different cabins. We're doing an inside the first week and will do our shore excursions then. The second week we have a corner aft. I probably won't leave the balcony. :D

[quote name='OC PAT']I think I should know this but what do you mean make sure that our profile is marked appropriately? Where do we check/see this?[/QUOTE]

I am assume you are a C&A member. Log in on royalCaribbean website. Go to C&A section of website. there you should be able to enter your upgrade preferences. Edited by Starry Eyes

[quote name='CavePearl']I've really enjoyed this thread! We are going on our first B2B over the holidays, and many of our questions have been answered here.

We'll be in two different cabins. We're doing an inside the first week and will do our shore excursions then. The second week we have a corner aft. I probably won't leave the balcony. :D[/QUOTE]

We've done the aft cabin and really enjoyed it. The longer walk burned a few more of those extra calories. Remember to report back if you have any ideas/suggestions after completing your cruise. Enjoy!

[quote name='Starry Eyes']I am assume you are a C&A member. Log in on royalCaribbean website. Go to C&A section of website. there you should be able to enter your upgrade preferences.[/QUOTE]

Yes, we our C&A members and I will enter our preferences. Thank you!

[quote name='dunblane.andersons']Here is a review from this summer after our wonderful B2B on Jewel...
Hope it helps...

[url]http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2078430[/url]

:)[/QUOTE]

I finally got around to review your review. Actually, I had already read it about a month ago and even the second time it was enjoyable and informative. Your BB is the same itinerary and in the same order as the one we will be doing and we have a hump cabin.

Those reading this because they too are doing BB in the future will find his review helpful. Short and to the point. Thank you for sharing.

[quote name='OC PAT']I think I should know this but what do you mean make sure that our profile is marked appropriately? Where do we check/see this?[/QUOTE]

When you check in on first leg it will ask at debarkation if you are taking taxi, airport & flight info...you want to check continuous cruiser.

Also on rci website 'before you board' & 'search box' you get b2b info a/k/a continuous cruiser.

[quote name='John&LaLa']Make sure to stop by Guest services during the first leg and make sure they know you are a consecutive cruisers. Sometimes that info does not make it into the ship

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app[/QUOTE]

We will do so, thanks. Very helpful!

[quote name='travelbuddies']When you check in on first leg it will ask at debarkation if you are taking taxi, airport & flight info...you want to check continuous cruiser.

Also on rci website 'before you board' & 'search box' you get b2b info a/k/a continuous cruiser.[/QUOTE]

GREAT HELP! Sounds like the cruise line uses continuous cruiser as our label and not some much B2B. I will look for both for information.

If you mark you would do an upgrade, do you have to accept it. We have ocean balcony. We would accept upgrade for our B2B but only if it is still ocean balcony. Wouldn't want an inside balcony

Sent from my iPad using Forums

[quote name='arkking']If you mark you would do an upgrade, do you have to accept it. We have ocean balcony. We would accept upgrade for our B2B but only if it is still ocean balcony. Wouldn't want an inside balcony.[/quote]
An inside balcony would not be an upgrade from an ocean balcony.