Large angry crowds on the Breeze

xSpec

How does Carnival decide which passengers to compensate and which not to compensate for a missed port. Another example of Carnival's uneven application of it's own company policies.

These decisions are not as uneven as you may think. Carnival is more interested in maintaining an image than being overly generous to its customers. And it's not only Carnival. All large companies weigh how their decisions will be perceived by the media.

A lot of times, the compensation given to passengers is decided based on whether the media has picked up the story, and what they have to say about it. If a company is being overly generous and going beyond their regular policies, you know that, most likely, its because they are going to be in the evening news. The Magic being diverted for a sick passenger suspected of having Ebola made national news. The Breeze missing Grand Cayman because of a medical emergency will probably not make it beyond this thread. Guess who gets the biggest compensation?

Sorry for those who missed Grand Cayman on the Breeze. But if I had $200 for every port that I've missed, I would've already paid for my next cruise!

Edited by Tapi

I was thinking the same thing when they gave out the OBC and credits on the Magic last week, that they were setting a choice they would later regret. We've been on cruises where we missed a port and only got the taxes back, people will expect too much now.

Carnival has been down this path before. They used to give a fixed amount for missing a port, and then even increased it. People continued to be greedy beyond believe and Carnival reduced to amount to what is stated in the contract. Now people get a few dollars instead of $25 or $50.

These decisions are not as uneven as you may think. Carnival is more interested in maintaining an image than being overly generous to its customers. And it's not only Carnival. All large companies weigh how their decisions will be perceived by the media.

A lot of times, the compensation given to passengers is decided based on whether the media has picked up the story, and what they have to say about it. If a company is being overly generous and going beyond their regular policies, you know that, most likely, its because they are going to be in the evening news. The Magic being diverted for a sick passenger suspected of having Ebola made national news. The Breeze missing Grand Cayman because of a medical emergency will probably not make it beyond this thread. Guess who gets the biggest compensation?

Sorry for those who missed Grand Cayman on the Breeze. But if I had $200 for every port that I've missed, I would've already paid for my next cruise!

Yup, so we are slowly learning to raise these incidents to the media's attention, who love these stories, for us passengers to reap better rewards.

WHere is CNN when you need them? The may hate Carnival, but they LOVE LOVE LOVE us.

Both medical emergency announcements were made on board. The boat was diverted to cozumel while they were in route to grand cayman because of a passenger medical emergency. Then after leaving cozumel, a crew member had a medical issue and the boat sped to grand cayman and arrived at 1am. In the morning an announcement was made that the boat would not be staying at grand cayman and they would have an additional sea day

was just sent an email from my sister who is on her honeymoon on the Breeze. There is a large crowd in front of guest service screaming and chanting "refund" due to not being allowed to disembark at grand cayman and docking at the international port at Cozumel. Their itinerary was changed the first sea day due to a medical emergency, then docked at 1am at grand cayman due to a crew remember emergency. Guest services is refusing to offer compensation to anyone, which is what led to the large crowd forming.

:rolleyes:

Oh, PLEASE have your sister take video and post it on YouTube! Always entertaining to watch people make idiots of themselves. :D

Tapi , perhaps the sister is part of the mob . You never know. :eek:

Yup, so we are slowly learning to raise these incidents to the media's attention, who love these stories, for us passengers to reap better rewards.

WHere is CNN when you need them? The may hate Carnival, but they LOVE LOVE LOVE us.

I am not so sure I would wear that banner proudly.

I don't agree with rioting in front of the guest services desk but nobody posting here was on board that ship. Who knows what went on the ship other than the missed ports? Maybe there were other issues involved.

I don't believe in asking for $200 from Carnival for missed ports; the only time a ship skips a port would be because it was unavoidable. That is a fact. I get it and so do most people.

If my cruise gets interrupted due to factors not in the company's control, I don't expect them to pay me. However, if they offer me '25% or 50% Off' on a future cruise, it shows that the company went beyond what is expected of them.

Skipping a port is not the fault of the company but it is also not the fault of the customer.

If the customer is expected to suck it up why can't the same apply to the company?

Money is not the answer, but surely the company can offer some sort of 'store credit'.

Don't offer money, offer something that gets your customers to come back to you.

If offered with a smile, you might get your customers to smile back too!

:):):):)

Edited by hirent

I don't agree with rioting in front of the guest services desk but nobody posting here was on board that ship. Who knows what went on the ship other than the missed ports? Maybe there were other issues involved.

I don't believe in asking for $200 from Carnival for missed ports; the only time a ship skips a port would be because it was unavoidable. That is a fact. I get it and so do most people.

If my cruise gets interrupted due to factors not in the company's control, I don't expect them to pay me. However, if they offer me '25% or 50% Off' on a future cruise, it shows that the company went beyond what is expected of them.

Skipping a port is not the fault of the company but it is also not the fault of the customer.

If the customer is expected to suck it up why can't the same apply to the company?

Money is not the answer, but surely the company can offer some sort of 'store credit'.

Don't offer money, offer something that gets your customers to come back to you.

First of all, we do't know anything about the situation. Secondly, GC is missed all the time as a tender port, what would you have them (Carnival) offer?

Carnival already does suck it up on revenue lost from cancelled shore excursions, a primary source of revenue.

With a missed port, neither side wins, except perhaps, those with Cheers. :D

mob mentality, and that sort of loud carrying on is just plain ugly.

No matter what "they" were clamoring for, I would just be ashamed to partake in such behavior. I would rather do without the obc, or the future cruise discount than behave in that manner.

mob mentality, and that sort of loud carrying on is just plain ugly.

No matter what "they" were clamoring for, I would just be ashamed to partake in such behavior. I would rather do without the obc, or the future cruise discount than behave in that manner.

Well said, I echo your thoughts.

Maybe the passengers on the Magic got compensated not because they missed a port but because they were put in harms way. It could have been that one passanger tested positive then all those passengers would have been at risk. Thank god she tested negative. I'm sure Carnival didn't compensate them for missing a port.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Maybe the passengers on the Magic got compensated not because they missed a port but because they were put in harms way. It could have been that one passanger tested positive then all those passengers would have been at risk. Thank god she tested negative. I'm sure Carnival didn't compensate them for missing a port.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Then why did Carnival say the compensation (to Magic passengers) was for missing a port?

Then why did Carnival say the compensation (to Magic passengers) was for missing a port?

If they got refused entry in GC by the authorities for ebola, than they should get the same refund. Missing a port can be for a variety of reasons and the compensation for each is and should be different.

I think the compensation on the Magic last week has set an expectation that Carnival will regret. $200 and 50% future cruise credit for missing Cozumel and now everybody who misses a port will want the same treatment. :rolleyes:

That was my exact thought when I heard what they got.