I missed the ship last week! Allure, at first port... what to expect...

klfhngr

Thanks all.... again, I'm posting this so that others can learn from MY mistake.

First, yes, I did want to knock my friend out! His story is that he periodically kept looking at/for us in Atlantis and would see us, but the last time he looked over the edge of the waterpark, he didn't see us anymore. We explained to him that we NEVER left! Why would we leave, especially w/o our son!? Also, we had 3 of their backpacks with clothes, wallets, phones, etc. We knew that they needed this to get back on the ship! I was SO ticked off!

The agreed upon time to meet was 3:30, last call for ship was 4:30. I told my friend this, he tried to say 4:00. I said, NO, 3:30, we need to make it back! He agrees. 3:30 comes, nothing, 3:45, nothing. 4:00, nothing! At 4:15 I sent my oldest son and wife back. They did not want to go, but I said that they had too, and that I'll meet them there. 4:30 comes and nothing! Finally, at 4:40 I decided to head back. Keep in mind, I have 3 FULL backpacks, Atlantis is HUGE! No one there is helpful, I even asked for a ride on a golf cart to the front, they said no! I get on a cab, explain my story. The cabbie is FLYING to get me to the ship. Then TRAFFIC!

Someone asked if I had the port authorities number? No, BUT, as soon as I exited the cab, someone in a golf cart SCREAMS, are you 'so-and-so'? I say yes. He yells, run and jump on the cart! I jump on, he's HAULING to the ship, flying over bumps. I'm excited because the ship is still there, my heart is pumping, I'm excited that I made it. But wait, the ship is moving! I can literally jump off the dock and touch the ship if I wanted to. Alfred says, 'it's gone'! I say no, it can't! My family, my stuff! NO!! NO!!!! I'm looking up at the bridge, begging them to stop, but no,, it kept going. That's when I went numb. Anger, sadness, emotions all going me at one time. I literally felt NUMB, that I was looking down at myself! I wanted to scream, but couldn't. I wanted to cry, but couldn't. I keep looking at the ship, thinking that maybe by mind control I could turn the ship back, but obviously that didn't' work. The ship was gone....... As I'm seeing the ship leave, I'm thinking of my wife and two kids onboard, wondering what they were going thru. I'll touch on that later.

This is when reality kicked in. I'm alone, in a country that I'm not familiar with. What do I do now? Did my son make it back? Why did Captain Johnny leave me?!

More to come on my 'new found' adventure.

Edited by klfhngr
  • Like 1

I don't mean to butt into this post but the name and phone no of the port agent is on the bottom of your Daily Compass , we always take it with us when we go ashore

We have a group of 32 traveling with us next summer. I am going to tell them this information! I have never noticed that on the cruise compasses but probably was never looking for it either! Thanks so much for sharing!

I still can't believe they left without you!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If they were not on a ship sponsored excursion, the rules are very clear......if you are not back in time -- the ship leaves. If however you were on a ship sponsored excursion, it makes sure all passengers are back or the cost to have you meet up with the ship is on THEM.

My good man, I really don't think you made a mistake, after all was your friend not with your son? You sent the rest of your family back to the ship and you tried to mitigate damages until it became too late. Do I understand this correctly?

Otherwise, once the captain lets go of the lines and hits the pods / thrusters, and the ship begins to move from the pier, they are not coming back; no different than an airplane leaving the gate.

Well, an expensive but happy ending, and I hope your friend's black eye doesn't last too long! :D