I missed the ship last week! Allure, at first port... what to expect...

klfhngr

This is going to be one of my worries. I don't think my husband and daughter are going to want to do the same things as myself and my son. My husband is a history buff and will want to see more historical sites. So, we are definitely going to book through the cruise lines - at least it is a little safer. I can't imagine what you felt like being so close to the ship as it was leaving. This happened to us with a flight - we were in a car accident on the way to the airport one time. The police officer drove us even but still watched it as it pulled away- as they gave away our seats.

If there are some who have not sailed frequently, or at all, you might want to show them some of the youtube videos of people being left at the port. Some just do not believe the ship will leave without them.

DW was going with "but they won't leave without us" early on. Seeing this image the first couple of times she's been cured - "Holy- they really WILL leave you!" I may err on the side of safety and caution, cheating myself out of port time, but absolutely never want to be in that situation, ever, ever, ever

This is the exact reason that I would be afraid to take an independent tour in a foreign country. They can promise all they want that you will make the ship on time.

Secondly I always have the port of call times and I confirm at the gangway when leaving when is the absolute latest time I must be back on board.

Actually I plan to be onboard 2-3 hours before sailaway to relax and in ports where we arrive in the morning(especially in small cities) I will walk around tour the sights and have lunch and head back towards the ship. I love resting on the pool deck in the afternoon with all the souls back on land. I will get a snack in the buffet and a cup of coffee or two.

I love going up on deck to see if we have left anyone behind and tell them see ya later. Sorry to say but the ship does not wait for you. There are plenty of YouTube Videos on this subject.

I'm sorry the OP missed the boat and I'm sure he/she learned their lesson to add a buffer between the time you need to be back on board. I would just add 90 minutes to be on the safe side. If I were on an independent tour I would make it clear to the driver that I need to be back at least 90-120 minutes before the "all aboard". If not it will be the tour company's responsibility to get me to the next port.

I'm sorry the OP missed the boat and I'm sure he/she learned their lesson to add a buffer between the time you need to be back on board. I would just add 90 minutes to be on the safe side. If I were on an independent tour I would make it clear to the driver that I need to be back at least 90-120 minutes before the "all aboard". If not it will be the tour company's responsibility to get me to the next port.

Did you even bother to read the OP's explaination of what happened?

How would you ensure that? I'm sure many people on here that use independent tours would love to know.

I believe we have been "punked".

5 pages of OMG comments, but the OP has not returned to tell us what happened.

Seems like the OP wants to get a little following going so people are hanging on to hear the details.

Just post the whole thing at once. It drives me bonkers when people do this.

Years ago, on Grandeur, we turned back to Curacao to pick a woman who missed the ship. Her daughter was alone in Adventure Ocean. So, there are (rare) circumstances when they will turn back!

We had it happen also - leaving Bermuda on Explorer, all showered and snuggled in my robe on the balcony with a glass of wine as the ship pulled away. Suddenly I heard shouts from the balconies below and realized the ship was now in reverse - looked out and saw two young girls running for all they were worth down the pier as people yelled for them. Guessing the captain backed up due to their young ages (appeared to be teenagers).

Seems like the OP wants to get a little following going so people are hanging on to hear the details.

Just post the whole thing at once. It drives me bonkers when people do this.

I rather get it in snippets than not at all. Probably just doesn't have time to do it in one sit down.

Edited by AlexanderBeetle

I'm pretty sure the OP is working based on when he posted. Not making up a story to get people going. I had heard about the predicament through another site last week, so I know it has some truth to it.

I don't blame him for waiting for his child. I'd never leave my kid in another country!

I'm very interested in hearing the whole story here.

The OP appears to have gone off on his own, and was not on an Independent Tour with a privately arranged guide.

We always book private tours with a reputable guide who has a high rating here on CC and on TripAdvisor. Their reputation and the survival of their business is dependent upon getting you back to the ship in time. It is not necessary to exclusively book through the ship in order to be secure as long as you do your research and are choosy with whom you book.

The OP appears to have gone off on his own, and was not on an Independent Tour with a privately arranged guide.

We always book private tours with a reputable guide who has a high rating here on CC and on TripAdvisor. Their reputation and the survival of their business is dependent upon getting you back to the ship in time. It is not necessary to exclusively book through the ship in order to be secure as long as you do your research and are choosy with whom you book.

Here is my problem with that. While its highly unlikely, things still happen. Transportation breaks down. Major traffic jam etc and so forth. Are the reputable companies gonna put you up for the night and get you to the next port on their dime? :)

I dont do excursions but if I decide to, I will book on the ship. My worst fear is being left behind and all the expense and headache it would cause me.

Each person has their own level of comfort though! Maybe Im just too paranoid about missing the ship :o Ive actually had nightmares about it.